Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Cannot change dictionary

I have several English and Spanish dictionaries on my Kindle(s). I was using the Larousse Spanish Dictionary to read Spanish until someone gave a copy of the Diccionario de la Lengua Española (the official version, which comes on the K4). When I was using the Larousse, whenever I want to change to another Spanish dictionary I was able to do so. But after I started using the Diccionario de la Lengua Española, I can't change to the Larousse or any other Spanish dictionary.

The same was happening to me with the Spanish-English Pocket Oxford. Once I installed it as a default dictionary, I can't make default any one else for Spanish books.

What is kind of weird is that I have the English-Spanish Pocket Oxford, the Oxford Advance Learner, the Logman, plus the two Oxford dictionaries that comes with the Kindle and I can change among them with no problem for English books.

I was exploring the language metadata of the Spanish dictionaries with mobi2mobi, but they are correctly set to Spanish, and I don't know what exactly I have to modify to correct this behavior.

Last edited by thebestjeter; 10-28-2011 at 04:03 AM.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
anxobaltar
Enthusiast
anxobaltar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Oasis 9th Gen
It seems a general problem because to me it's the same and I also checked my file metadata.

I hope someone can help
anxobaltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Hmm. Now that I've tried changing the dictionary after a long while, I find that I can't either. What gives? I can't change to any dictionaries that previously worked. I am stuck on one specific dictionary. A reset doesn't help.

Last edited by osnova; 10-26-2011 at 11:41 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Well I think I have the same kind of problem. I have a Kindle NT for a few weeks now, have installed 2 dictionaries for French books, 2 for German books and 2 for English books. In the settings, I can set a default dictionary for each language, very nice. Now I recently purchased a Kindle Keyboard, installed firmware 3.3, and I don't have a default dictionary option in settings. In the manual, it's said the setting appears when you have more than one dictionary installed, and I have 6 or 7. And they must be correctly installed, when I open a French, German or English, I got a definition from the official Amazon dictionary corresponding to the language (The Oxford American Dictionary, Duden, Dictionnaire Français de définitions), I just can't choose which one.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK I didn't realize the handling of dictionaries is not the same between firmware 3.3 and 4.x.x : the latter let you choose a default dictionary for each language which is very nice, while firmware 3.3 only let you choose a default primary dictionary.
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
@ Papi, Sorry, can you just confirm that you can still select a default dictionary under 3.3? After reading your earlier post saying this function was no longer available on the KK (!) after 3.3 was installed, I decided not to upgrade, since being able to change dictionaries is very important to me.

Thanks in advance for clarifying!
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
Papi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezh View Post
@ Papi, Sorry, can you just confirm that you can still select a default dictionary under 3.3? After reading your earlier post saying this function was no longer available on the KK (!) after 3.3 was installed, I decided not to upgrade, since being able to change dictionaries is very important to me.

Thanks in advance for clarifying!
Sorry for the confusion : I thought it was not there, in fact it's just the setting is not the same on the new Kindle. On the Kindle keyboard, and it was like this on previous firmwares I guess, I can choose a primary default dictionary by going to home -> menu -> settings -> menu -> change primary dictionary. On the new Kindle, you can select a default dictionary for each language, and this option is one of the settings, so you don't have to hit menu again where you're in the settings section like on the Kindle Keyboard, and that's why I thought first the option wasn't there at all. I hope it's clearer now.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
I hope it's clearer now.
Thanks for that, Papi -- much clearer!
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Palm M515, Palm VX, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
The same was happening to me with the Spanish-English Pocket Oxford. Once I installed it as a default dictionary, I can't make default any one else for Spanish books.
I have the same problem with being unable to keep Lucas Nicolato's Italian-English dictionary as my default Italian dictionary. It keeps reverting back to my (inferior) Merriam-Webster Italian English. However, if I'm reading my own .txt files on my Kindle, then I can set Nicolato's dictionary as the default. Otherwise, I have to delete the Merriam-Webster from my device to do it. Very annoying!
evwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Palm M515, Palm VX, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
I was exploring the language metadata of the Spanish dictionaries with mobi2mobi, but they are correctly set to Spanish, and I don't know what exactly I have to modify to correct this behavior.
Perhaps, since I am able to set my choice of dictionaries for my .txt files, the answer is to strip the language data from the book you are reading - mind, I've no idea how to do this or if it is even possible.
evwool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle