Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
VPN on rooted Nookcolor?

has anyone here gotten a (any) vpn service working on their nookcolor?

I noticed on the android market there is openVPN as well as a few VPN apps. I tried one free service last night without success. With a VPN service runnning it would be a nice little feature for those of us outside the US. It would mean we could purchase books from the B&N store from within the nook without having to use a PC and hotspot shield.

Last edited by iandix; 12-22-2010 at 05:06 PM.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
There was an old thread about openvpn configuration for the Nook classic here, but I recently tried the version for the Nook Color (openvpn instructions and troubleshooting here) and can report that I have had success using with Witopia openVPN service (a pay service).

I usually use my EVO phone as a hotspot (even when there is public wifi available) but some places these days are so saturated with strong on-location wifi that the weak EVO hotspot signal isn't enough. With my PC, I can just plug in my EVO and share connection over USB, but that's not an option for the Nook. So being able to use VPN with the public wifi is something I wanted.

Configuration is not trivial, but I did want to report success. I used a terminal emulator to issue the shell commands on the device instead of adb, but otherwise I followed the instructions given, plus a few troubleshooting hints later in the thread. It also doesn't seem to handle reconnect from sleep well -- gets stuck in a wait state upon re-establishing vpn connection, but restarting the connection resolves it.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert