Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Exclamation First eDGe Update Just Released!

Just got the e-mail from enTourage. The text included this:

"The first update to the enTourage eDGe software is now available to be downloaded and installed directly to your enTourage eDGe dualbook™. It is being released to add some feature functionality and fixes that our user community has suggested in the first two weeks of use. Our goal is to be responsive to your needs, and active in seeking opportunities to improve our products.

In this release, we provide the following:

WiFi behavior improvements
Fixes to USB connectivity to some Windows operating systems
Virtual keyboard optimization
eBook annotation enhancements
Some power savings improvements

We had previously indicated that we would be making Bluetooth stereo headsets a supported option in this maintenance release. Unfortunately, we have found some issues that make it impossible to claim support for this feature in this release. To maintain proper functionality on the eDGe, please do not attempt to use Bluetooth yet. We will continue to work on Bluetooth and intend to support it in another maintenance release. Instructions for initiating the update for your enTourage eDGe are below."
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Yup. Got the same thing. I will take care of that tomorrow. I probably won't get to it today.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #3
fibrou
fibrou began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Yep. Got email and updated. Trying to figure what was updated. So far, I am able to access SD card from PC - WOOHOO!!
fibrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
just finished update myself...won't get to really play with it to test drive it this week, but lookin forward to seeing what everyone else has to say though!

(Although, typing this post on the edge and haven't noticed much in the way of an improvement to responsiveness and/or ease)
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
(Although, typing this post on the edge and haven't noticed much in the way of an improvement to responsiveness and/or ease)
Ohh, that's not good to hear . I've got to wait to go home to update, but the screen issue is what I'm most hoping for a fix on. Thanks for the early feedback.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:11 AM   #6
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
just finished update myself...won't get to really play with it to test drive it this week, but lookin forward to seeing what everyone else has to say though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Jr. View Post
Ohh, that's not good to hear . I've got to wait to go home to update, but the screen issue is what I'm most hoping for a fix on. Thanks for the early feedback.
I just installed, and the screen responsiveness is much improved for me! For instance, on the bookmarks page, I'm able to either gently scroll or "flick" the page without unintentionally opening the link. I do find that I need to press a little harder when I do want to select a link, but hopefully that will all modulate to a new "normal." The keyboard also seems a little less schizo, too, with regard to letters adjacent to the keys being pressed being displayed. It's five hours until the opening work bell, so I'll have to check the other listed intended improvements tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I installed the update this morning and the battery issues are solved! The LCD touchscreen is definitely less responsive but I'm sure I'll adjust.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I still can't get more than 13 hours with the LCD and WiFi turned off. Plus, even with the Edge shut, the upper right hand corner is generating heat which tells me that the Edge isn't really sleeping.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
fibrou

I too feel the heat when the eDGe is closed. I can even see the LCD screen light on through the space periodically. Not sure if "sleep" is happening or not.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
fibrou

Oh, and I can no longer find the software selection to indicate when and how to set the wireless to "sleep." Anybody know where it went?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibrou View Post
Oh, and I can no longer find the software selection to indicate when and how to set the wireless to "sleep." Anybody know where it went?
Do you mean from clicking the "X" logo (bottom right), then you get the apps with 3 large icons at the bottom of the screen (lock, wireless and something)? Clicking on the wireless icon should take you to the wifi settings and you can shut off the wifi from there. (Alternatively, you can navigate there through the settings icon.)

Or do you mean there's a timed sleep feature (like on tvs) that I don't know about?
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
No, fibrou is right. Under the Wireless Settings there's no longer an option to control when the wireless gets turned off. There used to be settings like "never", when the LCD powers off, etc. There's nothing like that there anymore.

This could be because some users were reporting wireless connectivity problems. I saw enTourage once respond that their wireless may be powering down to conserve power, but this resulted in the problem that it would always take a few seconds to re-establish the wireless connection when the user went to check email or browse (and/or the connection couldn't be reestablished on the first try).

Meanwhile, there's the little WiFi switch along the top edge by the SD/SIM slots where you can manually turn it off if you're not going to use it for a while.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
No, fibrou is right. Under the Wireless Settings there's no longer an option to control when the wireless gets turned off. There used to be settings like "never", when the LCD powers off, etc. There's nothing like that there anymore.
Interesting. Fortunately, I never had any wireless connectivity issues, so I guess I don't hit those settings much.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur
CheyenneDonna has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage Edge
That seems an unfortunate way to deal with the problem. Removing options that are useful rather than fixing the problem. The WiFi can drain the battery if not needed and a physical switch will eventually break.
CheyenneDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #15
fibrou

The whole idea behind having software control is to fix it and forget it. Having to manually hit the switch somewhat defeats the purpose of controlling actions with software. I'll check with enTourage to see what they say regarding the "sleep" option.