Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #31
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
Don't see any real harm in it either, although it really can throw you off on the page count. When the book ending smacks you in the face and you were expecting that that last 'chapter' to actually be part of the story you're reading. I do find that kind of annoying at times, especially when I've just run into a cliff hanger by surprise. Ick.

I never, ever read those sample chapters. If it's the next book in the series, I'll either get it or I won't based on what I just read. Otherwise, I don't start anything I don't have complete, or haven't yet checked out the synopsis and reviews. Even in paper books, I never, ever read them.

A nice synopsis of other books I might browse, but never an actual chapter.
I know what you mean about throwing off the page count and your expectations of how much story is left. I've learned to look at the table of contents before I start reading, to see what page number all the extraneous stuff starts, so I know when the actual book is going to end.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I've learned to look at the table of contents before I start reading, to see what page number all the extraneous stuff starts, so I know when the actual book is going to end.
I enjoy having the ends of books sneak up on me. I've found that I tend to start making assumptions/hypotheses about various plot points or events when I know exactly (whether through page/location count, progress bar, or just seeing the thickness of the chunk of remaining pages in a pbook) how close I am to the end. Whereas I just get to "let it all happen" when I'm flying blind.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Gang, howdy:

To be clear, it's not just direct links that Apple won't allow. It's...deeper than that. We are very fortunate in our client list, in that some of our clients are quite well-known. One of them--our biggest "name," without doubt, we'll call him/her Author #1--recently had an advert or "flyer" you might call it, at the back of her latest ePUB. This flyer linked to the website of author #2. Now, at author #2's website, there's a link to buy his/her book--which is only available at Amazon. So...at least two degrees of separation, right?

Apple had a cow. The client's "people" had to get on the phone with Apple to get it solved, basically by simply stating that if Apple wanted Author #1's book, they had to suffer the slings and arrows of Author #2 having the audacity to sell his/her book wherever s/he wanted.

Trust me: this sort of thing happens all the time with them. "Walled garden" doesn't do it justice.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Don't see any real harm in it either, although it really can throw you off on the page count. When the book ending smacks you in the face and you were expecting that that last 'chapter' to actually be part of the story you're reading. I do find that kind of annoying at times, especially when I've just run into a cliff hanger by surprise. Ick.
I hate when this happens so I think they are harmful.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #35
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
If an author ends a book on a cliff-hanger, that's the last book by that author I'll read. I made an exception for Patrick Rothfuss, but if I'd known how Wise Man's Fear would end, I'd have held off the first two books until the third book came out.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #36
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:

I never, ever read those sample chapters. If it's the next book in the series, I'll either get it or I won't based on what I just read. Otherwise, I don't start anything I don't have complete, or haven't yet checked out the synopsis and reviews. Even in paper books, I never, ever read them.

A nice synopsis of other books I might browse, but never an actual chapter.
I'm the opposite. I read every one of them. Can't resist.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote