Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
Bit expensive for a plug!?

Browsing on Amazon for this and that related to the Kindle Fire HD when I came across this 'rapid' charger plug

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tablet-Adapt...036728&sr=8-11

Now £17.99 ($28 US Dollars) is a bit expensive for a plug! I'm currently charging the Kindles using the supplied Cable and my BlackBerry plugs, however I am interested in the 'Rapid' bit.

Does anyone know a cheaper version of this they could possibly link to me?

Thank you
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Here is a link to the Kindle PowerFast for charging the Kindle Fire HD:

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-PowerFa...FChargerT_popT
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Looks like the same exact charger going by the specs, but only looks a tad different with the ridge on the European one and the plug part. But electrically they are exactly the same.

Why the difference in price? That is the question!

Edit: Checked the amazon.uk store and they did offer this charger at 8.99 pounds if bought at the time of buying the fire.

You may try to call amazon and see if they will sell you these adapters at the lower cost?
Who knows they may do it!

Last edited by DustyDisks; 11-27-2012 at 02:41 PM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Price for FastCharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Looks like the same exact charger going by the specs, but only looks a tad different with the ridge on the European one and the plug part. But electrically they are exactly the same.

Why the difference in price? That is the question!

Edit: Checked the amazon.uk store and they did offer this charger at 8.99 pounds if bought at the time of buying the fire.

You may try to call amazon and see if they will sell you these adapters at the lower cost?
Who knows they may do it!
8.99 GBP is $ 14.40 right now. Amazon sells it now for $ 9.99 if purchased with a Kindle Fire HD and for $ 19.99 if purchased separately.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
8.99 GBP is $ 14.40 right now. Amazon sells it now for $ 9.99 if purchased with a Kindle Fire HD and for $ 19.99 if purchased separately.
Seems like the prices are different for different places.

She should at least try and call c/s and plead her case of not knowing about the charger issue. Maybe they will offer her the 8.99GBP deal for both fires she bought for her kids. Nothing tried , nothing gained, unless!

Edit: Did some digging and found this, that had mostly high ratings. Tho I am sure our European members may be able to narrow things down more.

8.95GBP

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Char...047160&sr=1-10

The mains charger needs at least 5 volts at 1.8 amps (1800mh) output to work correctly and give the fastest charge cycle.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 11-27-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
The "rapid" part is that it supplies 2 amps. The charger for an e-ink Kindle supplies 1 amp.

I actually use my wife's iPad charger which also supplies 2 amps.

My 7" KFHD does charge pretty quickly with 2 amps but I have never actually measured how long it takes to charge from zero.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
The "rapid" part is that it supplies 2 amps. The charger for an e-ink Kindle supplies 1 amp.

I actually use my wife's iPad charger which also supplies 2 amps.

My 7" KFHD does charge pretty quickly with 2 amps but I have never actually measured how long it takes to charge from zero.
I too use my iPad charger and it charges fairly fast. My cellular phone charger is 1.8 amps and charges about as fast. Certainly no reason to pay Amazon for an overpriced item which should have been included!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard

Charge time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Using GSam Battery Monitor to measure start percentage and when 100% charge is achieved, it takes me 6 hours to go from 10% to 100%.

Most folks charge in 2 or 3 hours but may not have actually reached 100%.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I may plead the case, however, does anyone currently know what the BlackBerry charger (also plug in wall USB plug) amp count is?

If it's around two I'm sorted.

The link from DustyDisks is fantastic and I may be purchasing one shortly (if the BlackBerry one is a nope). (DD link - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Char...047160&sr=1-10 )

Last edited by Villordsutch; 11-27-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

Update.

Check the bottom of my BlackBerry adaptor and it reads as 550mA - No wonder it was taking ages to charge the Kindle!?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
Update.

Check the bottom of my BlackBerry adaptor and it reads as 550mA - No wonder it was taking ages to charge the Kindle!?
Several models of blackberry's out there with different power requirements.

More searching turned up this one. @ 7.99GBP

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHARGER-SAMS...4051982&sr=8-1

Here is my search list. note not many feedback responses for many of them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...+2+amp+charger
Old 11-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

Going to scour these, however you dual find initially seems to be a winner.

Thanks for this info.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
Going to scour these, however you dual find initially seems to be a winner.

Thanks for this info.
Nada problem, glad to help!

Old 11-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #14
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
The external specs of these various chargers may not differ, but the internal quality isn't always the same. Not sure about the Kindle charger's quality, but this article helps explain some of the price difference between aftermarket chargers and the real thing:

http://www.arcfn.com/2012/05/apple-i...n-quality.html

I've found that many cheap chargers cause touchscreens to go wonky. I tried using a cheap charger at my mom's house to charge my Paperwhite and the touchscreen went crazy. Had the same experience with various chargers on my Moto Droid. If I didn't use a good charger things didn't work very well.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

Picked up a 1 Amp charger off the market earlier. The Chap never had a 2 Amp charger so I snatched the only available one amp from him .

Works a treat, I've asked him to keep his eyes open for a 2 Amp for me