Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does TSA make you remove your 9"+ tablet from your luggage?
Yes, TSA makes me remove my tablet for inspection (most of the time) 3 9.09%
No, TSA doesn't make me remove my tablet for inspection (most of the time) 30 90.91%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #16
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpawlak View Post
I'm just curious. One of the reasons I decided to go with a 7" tablet is that TSA doesn't require removal of the device from my luggage. I've been in many different airports over the years, and it seems as though some require removal of ipads (which I take to mean any 10" tablet-like thing), and some do not.

Does anyone travel successfully without having to remove their 10" tablet? Experiences?
On occasions, I have been asked to remove my ipad, my 5" sony PRS 350.

I have also NOT been asked to take out my 17" laptop. I always try to 'forget', it's a pain. Usually they catch it and ask me to take it out, but often they do not.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #17
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I've traveled several times with my 10" Xoom in my carry on along with the Kindle, a portable hard drive, a number of chargers and various other stuff. Never been asked to remove any of it from my bag.

Unlike those who take their stuff out just in case, I prefer to leave it in my bag unless asked to take it out to decrease the chances of loss or theft.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The next time TSA wants to see your tablet, toss one of these in the tray

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Yeah, those TSA comedians will get a real laugh out of that.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #20
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

LOL!

I've been through TSA at Seattle, Denver, Anaheim, Atlanta, and New Orleans in the last year and a half with an iPad (and usually a Kindle). Both are sleeved. I actually do pull them from the bag, but not from their sleeves, and bin them in the same bin as my shoes or liquids. Since they have their own spot in my tote bag, it's a pretty fast routine to yank them out & put them back. Never been asked/told to do anything different, and neither has ever been pulled from their sleeves.

Could be luck. Could be they assume I wouldn't pull them out of they were "tainted" in some fashion. Could be they're more interested in my lingerie. Whatever. It's been pretty hassle free and I have the whole routine down at this point.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #21
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
I travel a lot for business so I get several bins. One for the laptop: a second for the portable printer: a third for the bag of cords, chargers, camera, portable hard drive and mouse; a fourth for my shoes, belt, phone, liquids (in a one-liter zipper baggie). The last time I flew from Detroit I had to get a fifth bin for my K3 kindle.

It seems that my clear zipper bag of cords and chargers takes the longest time in the x-ray machine.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #22
rjpawlak
Enthusiast
rjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook STR and Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphemus View Post
It seems that my clear zipper bag of cords and chargers takes the longest time in the x-ray machine.
My longest delay was taking a bag with many zippered compartments, containing chargers, earphones, ipod, usb cables, and reader. Everything came out, then they scanned again - discovered they missed a cable, etc. 20 minutes later, we were done.

So looks like:
1) Rules inconsistently applied (no surprise)
2) You are probably ok leaving Ipad sized devices in your bag, until you are asked to remove it :-)

Bob
rjpawlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #23
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I have only flown with my iPad (and laptop) twice. The tablet had to come out in Minneapolis, but not Fargo or Buffalo.

TSA agents and breast pumps are more amusing. Some think they are bombs and send me for a pat down, some are afraid to touch them (with gloves) after I've removed it as requested, and others (including one pregnant TSA agents=) wave it on through without batting an eye.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpawlak View Post
Since TSA requires a bin fo reach computer, it can be a bit tedious. (bin for laptop)+(bin for tablet)+(bin for shoes, jacket and liquids)+bags.
Not just TSA. I had the same rigmarole recently when flying from the UK to Australia. I had both a personal and a work laptop with me. Each had to go into a separate tray for the scanner.

EDIT: Although they were happy to let me leave the Kindle in my shoulder bag.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-20-2012 at 05:55 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I routinely fly with an Asus transformer and its keyboard and a Sony PRS 650. The only time I was ever asked to take the tablet out of the bag was once when the tablet was connected to the keyboard. The TSA agent said that it was too thick to see through. I've taken it through security at LAS, RNO, MCI, BWI, and SEA. Frankfurt didn't allow me to open my pass through backpack for the laptop, but also didn't require me to take out the tablet. No one has ever cared about the Sony and I've never taken it out for security.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #26
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
When I flew last summer they did not need me to remove my laptop from its bag (just a neoprene sleeve thing). But after they xrayed my carryon bag, they waved me to the side to open it and went through everything. Have to admit, on the picture they showed me on the screen it did look suspicious.

If you don't want 'em to open your bag, put your cables, chargers, headphones in neatly. Mine were just thrown in, looked like a spiderweb of cables on the x-ray. Apparently they thought I must have rigged my bag as a bomb.

On another flight about 8 years ago, coming into the us they pulled me over for a "random" open all your bags and crap. Cannot help it that I was wearing black boots, black leather pants, black long leather coat, and shoulder long hair. Seriously? If I was a terrorist, would i have been dumb enough to stand out like a sore thumb? Sometimes you wonder how paranoid everything got after 9-11.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If I was a terrorist, would i have been dumb enough to stand out like a sore thumb? Sometimes you wonder how paranoid everything got after 9-11.
As a man with a beard, I always get pulled over for searches. Just a part of life these days, unfortunately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #28
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
I never had to remove my iPad in US airports (mainly MIA and LAX). Soon I'll be on JFK, and I'll be able to see how they do things over there.

However, on my return trips to Brazil I'm always loaded with electronics: tablets, external hard drives, processors, video cards, etc. I guess the TSA becomes nervous due to the excessive number of wires and equipment in my bag, and I always have to unpack everything so they can check it out. Security theather sucks.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #29
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As a man with a beard, I always get pulled over for searches. Just a part of life these days, unfortunately.

And I thought I was just the only that that is unlucky.

Sorry, it is not funny, but it is.

DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #30
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Last time I flew didn't have to remove Laptop or Nook.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, tablet, travel, tsa