Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #136
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberdana View Post
I have 4 free kobo books through the kobo app for iPad. Now that I've purchased a touch the Books don't show up on it. Any suggestions?
were they books that you downloaded, or books that came with the app; if they came with app, they are app specific and you can't download them to another device. this was the same for the original PC desktop app where there would be four "free" books included, but wouldn't download. you would have to go to the kobo store, find the books, re-download them, and then they would become available on other devices. a bit annoying.

If they were books that you had chosen yourself, then you should have them available. go to the kobo store and make sure they are showing up in the I'm reading section. If they are there, try deleting them from there and re-select them...
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #137
Dimwit
Connoisseur
Dimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo
Can anyone tell me what is the best way to clean the Touch screen? And with what?
Dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #138
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimwit View Post
Can anyone tell me what is the best way to clean the Touch screen? And with what?
I have the official Kobo touch case, which has pockets on the cover. I tuck a small eyeglass microfiber clothe there which does the trick in most cases.

For extreme situations, I take it home and use an LCD screen cleaner. Spray the cloth lightly and use that on the screen. I got stuck in the rain once, and the touch seems at least lightly resistant to a little water, but I don't really want to try my luck.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #139
Robert West
Robert West began at the beginning.

word processing doc to Kobo

I’m trying to find help with detailed instructions for getting a word processing document from my Macintosh into my Kobo. I’m new to using e-readers because I was just given a Kobo Touch for my birthday. I want to be able to read a document on my Kobo that I created with Pages on my iMac. Is that possible?
Robert West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #140
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
One of the supported file formats for the Touch is RTF so save your document as a RTF document and then simply drag and drop it onto the Touch. To organize your documents you can create directories on the Touch.

ETA: I see that Pages for the Mac supports the creation of EPUB files. Since that is the preferred format for the Touch you should investigate that alternative.

Last edited by Joe563; 08-15-2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: More information.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #141
Robert West

i'm a raw newbie, i can't figure out any way to get the Kobo to read a RTF file. Am I just such a newbie that I want the impossible? Can I only read books on my new Kobo?

Last edited by Robert West; 08-16-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #142
Joe563
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert West View Post
i'm a raw newbie, i can't figure out any way to get the Kobo to read a RTF file. Am I just such a newbie that I want the impossible? Can I only read books on my new Kobo?
What problems are you encountering? I have saved a Microsoft Word file as a RTF document and then transferred it to my Touch using Windows Explorer and the document is displayed by the Touch. The Touch functions that are missing for this type of document is the ability to call up the dictionary by using a long press and the navigation bar that is displayed after a center screen press. If a particular document is not working for you, try another so as to determine whether it is a document problem or a more general problem.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #143
Robert West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
What problems are you encountering? I have saved a Microsoft Word file as a RTF document and then transferred it to my Touch using Windows Explorer and the document is displayed by the Touch. The Touch functions that are missing for this type of document is the ability to call up the dictionary by using a long press and the navigation bar that is displayed after a center screen press. If a particular document is not working for you, try another so as to determine whether it is a document problem or a more general problem.
I'm such a newbie, I need detailed instructions. My problem could be that I created the doc in Macintosh Pages then used its Export function to convert it as a RTF doc, then saved it to my desktop. At that point I was lost, so I just dragged-and-dropped it onto the Kobo icon. But it never made it to the Kobo Touch that was plugged in.

I use Firefox instead of Explorer, so I need detailed instructions about how you "transferred it to my Touch."
Old 08-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #144
Joe563

After you have created the RTF document do the following:
1) connect the Touch to your computer using the USB cable.
2) the Touch should show up as another drive on your PC or as an ejectable device on a Mac.
3) use your file manager (Windows Explorer on a PC, Finder? on a Mac) to optionally create a folder on the Touch off of the root directory to hold your RTF files.
4) use the file manager to drag and drop or copy and paste the RTF document to either the root directory of the Touch or to the folder created in the previous step.
5) safely eject the Touch from your computer.
6) disconnect the Touch from your computer.
7) your RTF document should appear on the Home screen of your Touch

Last edited by Joe563; 08-18-2011 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #145
Robert West

Unhappy everything is wiped out

The only way I could get the document to appear on my Touch was to go to Calibre and use those processes. The document finally appeared on the Touch, but as I was working with it, suddenly the screen went blank. I powered off then powered back on, but what appeared was the original "Welcome to Kobo" message that appeared when I first got the Touch. When I pressed the Home button, nothing happened. NOW WHAT DO I DO!
Old 08-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #146
Robert West

Oops -- for some reason, just plugging the Touch into my iMac and getting into the Kobobooks website seems to have fixed the problem. When I ejected then unplugged it, the Home page immediately appeared with a "Welcome" banner over it. When I clicked it and pressed Library, everything was there. Whew!
Old 08-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #147
Joe563

Since the problem occurred after you added a RTF document you should remove (delete) that document. If your Touch is unresponsive do a paper clip reset. Gently push the end of a paper clip into the small hole in the back of the Touch until you hear a click. If that does not fix the problem you may have to do a factory reset. Please note that a factory reset will delete all settings and documents on the Touch so after the factory reset is done you will have to set up the Touch again and re-transfer all books.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:45 AM   #148
TomTeaPack
Tom
TomTeaPack began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Moving books from Kobo to Calibre

The title says it all, is there any way to move books from the Kobo e-reader (wireless) to Calibre? I have no problem moving books from Calibre to Kobo, but cannot figure out how to go back the other way. I have several hundred books on My E-reader that are not in calibre, and I have no decent way to organize them.Thanks for any input.

PS, I am guessing the answer is NO WAY, but thought I would ask.
TomTeaPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #149
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Red Book with+ icon top row of Calibre is used to add boks to Calibre. Left click pops up add books menu. Left click on small down arrow to right of Red Book + icon pops up 6 add books options. Might try adding 1 to 10 books at first. I have transferred over 2,000 books to Calibre at once. Never a problem. Doesn't work with DRM (digital rights restricted books).

Just be more adventurous in trying things. You can most always cancel selection or easily recover from anything if you have backups.

Last edited by filmo; 08-22-2011 at 10:43 AM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #150
trek63
trek63 began at the beginning.

Device: PSP
People are talking about adding fonts to the KOBO Touch;but not much when they get there.There was some concern about font payload--there currently 67 of them on board at the moment!So no worries. What about the font list? With this amount the list would have to flip about 9 times! I may keep 3 flips to be comfortable. I will place the rest in a folder on my computer so they be rotated when desired. Here are a few that I have (not all 67)!
Cataneo
Catherine
CentSchbookPS-Italic
Chancellor
CaecilialLTStd-Italic
Carnegie-Plain-Regular
These were harvested at
TTFN

Last edited by trek63; 08-23-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: link broke
trek63 is offline   Reply With Quote