Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #76
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Good luck.
I hate to say it, but this reminds me of when I was up half the night tracking down a memory leak issue in Starry Night, since they didn't seem interested in doing so. It only leaked when the window was minimized, and I think that was x64 only.

They ended up fixing it.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #77
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Good luck.
nfo file sent to Sony.
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #78
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfarmer View Post
I don't have any non-stock drivers installed. I don't have any obscure hardware at all, in fact. No fast-and-loose games are installed. Nothing. Just Win7, Office, and Security Essentials (disabled). I *would* have expected the software to fail in the absence of DHCP Client, but to fail when it is *running*?!? This is a pretty fundamental part of my OS's network stack, which every other piece of software was interacting well enough with. This is therefore without a doubt in my mind a bug on Sony's end.
Just curious... I seem to remember seeing something on an esupport page about MS Office 07 causing a problem but MS Office 03 being OK. I can't seem to find this again, but wondered which Office you have installed.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #79
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd

Lightbulb

Recap of a 3-hour phone call with Sony.

1st and 2nd tiers .. aside from leaving my system in a messy state, were unable to to anything useful.

3rd tier .. Nathaniel was excited to see this happen. I wasn't able to generate a dump file for him, but he has my nfo file now, and was able to see with his own eyes my repro (modulo the fact that killing the dhcp client service would temporarily disconnect him).

This problem *is* known to them, and has affected a variety of platforms: win7, vista, xp, mac. They hadn't narrowed any particular culprit down yet, but my work last night has made the tech very happy. They should be contacting me for follow-up sometime, but it's well after hours for them now.

So.. informal poll of the Win7 folks for whom the reader software is not working. (I say Win7, but adventurous Vista and XP folks might be able to adapt the script.)

Is DEP set to the first radio button (system services only)?
Is UAC activated?

(In my system, having DEP set to the other -- all -- button, and having UAC disabled, would cause the reader process to exit quietly. Restoring them to their default would cause the process to hang. Use task manager to view this.)

With DEP and UAC in their defaults (as above), does the reader process hang?

If the reader process hangs, bring up msconfig, and also bring up service manager (under computer | manage | services).

Is DHCP Client enabled (under msconfig's Services tab)?
Is DHCP Client running?

With both of these "Yes", my reader was hanging. If that is what's happenning with you..

Uncheck DHCP Client in msconfig, click apply.
Right-click DHCP Client in service manager, click stop. Confirm to also shut down WinHTTP Web Proxy service.

Go to task manager and right click on the hung reader process(es). Click End Process Tree. Try running the reader again. On my machine, it will finally bring up the UI. It may ask if you want to associate epub. Whatever. Get it to the store. The store should be inaccessible in the reader's store browser.

If so, then go back to msconfig, check DHCP Client, click apply, and then restart the service in the service manager.

Click the Home button in the store browser. This should bring it back up.

I have their email address. I'm happy to gather this info informally and ship it to them, and I'm sure they'd be happy to see it. But the first couple tiers aren't able to touch this problem, and may be leaving machines in a bad state.

I also now have an uninstall bat file to compensate for problems with the uninstaller they supply. I'll be happy to email it to folks.

So -- real and known problem. Sony simply hadn't gone through all the services. I suppose it's just lucky that DHCP client was in the first batch that I disabled.

Thank you to the guy who reported using msconfig to disable everything. That was the clue they needed, and apparently the upper tier hadn't heard of that making a difference in the behavior.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #80
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wonderful. Good to know they were aware of it but funny that they hadn't heard or tried the stopping services thing. It still seems funny that it is only on some machines and not others.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #81
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd

Quote:
Wonderful. Good to know they were aware of it but funny that they hadn't heard or tried the stopping services thing. It still seems funny that it is only on some machines and not others.
I'm going to try installing Visual Studio later tonight. Hopefully there won't be any interactions from that, since I'm sure they'd like to get a debugger connected to this thing.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #82
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm going to try installing Visual Studio later tonight. Hopefully there won't be any interactions from that, since I'm sure they'd like to get a debugger connected to this thing.
That's probably gonna be needed or at least helpful to figure it out. And if you can reliably replicate the problem, that is as important as anything.

Good Luck.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #83
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd

Hah! Finally got a (192Mb) dump file! It just wanted me to elevate task manager first. Understandable...

So the other good (*) news is that I've almost reinstalled everything on my system, and it's still reproducing as I described.

(* good == useful to me)
Old 01-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #84
aldovanucci
aldovanucci began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Reader Library fix

Check out this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...816#post725816

It worked for me
aldovanucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #85
yano
yano began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Recap of a 3-hour phone call with Sony.

1st and 2nd tiers .. aside from leaving my system in a messy state, were unable to to anything useful.

3rd tier .. Nathaniel was excited to see this happen. I wasn't able to generate a dump file for him, but he has my nfo file now, and was able to see with his own eyes my repro (modulo the fact that killing the dhcp client service would temporarily disconnect him).

This problem *is* known to them, and has affected a variety of platforms: win7, vista, xp, mac. They hadn't narrowed any particular culprit down yet, but my work last night has made the tech very happy. They should be contacting me for follow-up sometime, but it's well after hours for them now.

So.. informal poll of the Win7 folks for whom the reader software is not working. (I say Win7, but adventurous Vista and XP folks might be able to adapt the script.)

Is DEP set to the first radio button (system services only)?
Is UAC activated?

(In my system, having DEP set to the other -- all -- button, and having UAC disabled, would cause the reader process to exit quietly. Restoring them to their default would cause the process to hang. Use task manager to view this.)

With DEP and UAC in their defaults (as above), does the reader process hang?

If the reader process hangs, bring up msconfig, and also bring up service manager (under computer | manage | services).

Is DHCP Client enabled (under msconfig's Services tab)?
Is DHCP Client running?

With both of these "Yes", my reader was hanging. If that is what's happenning with you..

Uncheck DHCP Client in msconfig, click apply.
Right-click DHCP Client in service manager, click stop. Confirm to also shut down WinHTTP Web Proxy service.

Go to task manager and right click on the hung reader process(es). Click End Process Tree. Try running the reader again. On my machine, it will finally bring up the UI. It may ask if you want to associate epub. Whatever. Get it to the store. The store should be inaccessible in the reader's store browser.

If so, then go back to msconfig, check DHCP Client, click apply, and then restart the service in the service manager.

Click the Home button in the store browser. This should bring it back up.

I have their email address. I'm happy to gather this info informally and ship it to them, and I'm sure they'd be happy to see it. But the first couple tiers aren't able to touch this problem, and may be leaving machines in a bad state.

I also now have an uninstall bat file to compensate for problems with the uninstaller they supply. I'll be happy to email it to folks.

So -- real and known problem. Sony simply hadn't gone through all the services. I suppose it's just lucky that DHCP client was in the first batch that I disabled.

Thank you to the guy who reported using msconfig to disable everything. That was the clue they needed, and apparently the upper tier hadn't heard of that making a difference in the behavior.
The same process worked for me.
Thanks for posting this, can you provide an update when Sony get back to you?
yano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #86
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yano View Post
The same process worked for me.
Thanks for posting this, can you provide an update when Sony get back to you?
I'd love to. When/if that ever happens.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #87
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I used sony software for a week.

It allowed me to sync flawlessly for 3 days...then it quit doing so for no reason at all. The only thing i did was download a free book (non public domain) from the sony library. I deleted the book and it still didnt work. I then decided to simply move my files over to the memory stick and that worked great for about 2 days. Then for no reason at all my POE collection would not move over no matter what I tried. I then decided to try the sync thing again. It worked well. I decided to redownload that one book previously mentioned. The sync worked fine. 2 days later the sync quit working.

AAAHHHHH!

Calibre for the win.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Auto-sync never worked well. So once I tried it, I gave up on it and never looked back.

I sort things manually and it works fine that way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #89
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd

Exclamation

Quote:
I'd love to. When/if that ever happens.
They finally got back to me. I have to check something at home as a workaround, but apparently they've recently discovered that their (or Adobe's? or both?) software doesn't like to have My Documents mapped to a UNC share (as I most certainly do). However, if it's mapped to a drive letter, apparently that resolves the issue of the software hanging on startup.

Of course, this isn't a bug *fix*, which they're apparently still looking into. If anybody else is still having the same issues I did, you might try that and report back. I'll be emailing them letting them know whether the UNC vs drive mapping problem applies to my case.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #90
kennyc

Still working fine here.

Tags
bad, experience, software, sony