Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Gerry
Enthusiast
Gerry began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Cybook on Sale - Now just $269 at Books on Board!

I haven't seen anyone else post this.

Books on Boards is now selling the Cybook for $81 off - only $269 for a limited time. The black leather cover is on sale too $34.95.

-enjoy!

(11-28-08 update. The price a month ago was $289, but I just noticed it is now just $269. A year ago I got it for $350, which is still Bookeen's current price, so I think this is a good deal.)

Last edited by Gerry; 11-28-2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Price Drop
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Argh, I have a Kindle AND a PRS-505 and I'm tempted
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Argh, I have a Kindle AND a PRS-505 and I'm tempted
My mom always told me I had more money than sense.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Ivoch
Enthusiast
Ivoch began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Better than the alternative... as long as it stays that way.
Ivoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I haven't seen anyone else post this.

Books on Boards is now selling the Cybook for $61 off - only $289 for a limited time. The black leather cover is on sale too $34.95.

-enjoy!
Actually its only $10 off the previous price of $299. This is for the bare Cybook, without the cover and AC charger.

The $349 price for the package with the Leather cover and AC charger is still there, and as far as I can see there has been no price drop in it.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 12:04 AM   #6
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
That's funny, cause I always have more cents then dollars....

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Actually its only $10 off the previous price of $299. This is for the bare Cybook, without the cover and AC charger.

The $349 price for the package with the Leather cover and AC charger is still there, and as far as I can see there has been no price drop in it.
It's difficult to see why the CyBook is still so expensive in the US, when there have been such large price reductions on it elsewhere.

Eg, here in the UK one can buy the CyBook with a cover for £179.99, which is £153.18 without VAT. That's the equivalent of only US$228.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:44 AM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
That just happens in the UK and with W. H. Smith as far as I know.

All the other places (besides the US mentioned) it’s 280 euros (plain model no extras) or 238,38 pounds and 350,70 $US at yesterday’s rate.
Without VAT it depends of the VAT in each country, in mine with a VAT of 20%, it’s 233,33 euros.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:54 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One has to remove VAT when comparing with US prices, since prices in the US are always quoted without sales tax. You're right in saying that the WHS deal is specific to the UK, but even if one buys from Bookeen directly, the price is still £180: £150.50, subtracting French VAT, or US$224. The only difference is that you don't get a case.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:58 AM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Agreed, one must take out the VAT, but as I say it depends of the VAT one is talking about: my country, today and from European shops is 20%, in the UK it’s 17,5% correct?

And the price for the Cybook to the UK, in their shop, is 200 pounds, not 180.

But this comparing is a bit out of context, to make it correct one must compare the full price of the goods between options and that has to do with the costs of transport, if the customs of the arriving country check or not the VAT and other costs of customs etc,…
Old 11-14-2008, 06:02 AM   #11
DDHarriman
Guru

With such many variables one must take care, example, if one buys in Europe is 280 euros, or as I say 238,38 pounds, but if you buy from the Cybook shop in the UK it’s 200 pounds and if you buy from W. H. Smiths in the UK it’s as you so well say 180 pounds!

People should be very attentive and make all the checking to get the best deal possible today.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Agreed, one must take out the VAT, but as I say it depends of the VAT one is talking about: my country, today and from European shops is 20%, in the UK it’s 17,5% correct?
If you buy from Bookeen and you're anywhere in the EU, you get charged the French VAT rate of 19.6%, not the VAT rate of your own country.

Quote:
And the price for the Cybook to the UK, in their shop, is 200 pounds, not 180.
That's changed in the last couple of days, presumably due to the recent fall in the value of the Pound against the Euro. It was £180 earlier in the week!

Quote:
But this comparing is a bit out of context, to make it correct one must compare the full price of the goods between options and that has to do with the costs of transport, if the customs of the arriving country check or not the VAT and other costs of customs etc,…
Yes, I agree with you there.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:22 AM   #13
DDHarriman
Guru

20% and 19,6% it's a no big deal.

The important part is if one can deduct the VAT or not.

Most people would not and that makes that the real price is between the without VAT US price and customs costs and the with VAT European price, and in the Europe, if one is in the euro part it can be one price for the main object, and if not in the euro part it can be another price as we have seen above.

Final, the transport. Just a no direct example:
I paid 15 euros for the transport of my Cybook and leather case from France to Portugal,.
Yesterday, and for the fun of it, I checked the price of B&H in the US to send the Sony prs 505 to Portugal, and that is 51 $US for the cheapest option, or 40,72 euros.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:06 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I think you're slightly missing the point of my comparison.

I'm not comparing what it costs a European to buy a CyBook in the US, or an American to buy a CyBook in Europe, but what it costs each to buy a CyBook in his or her own country.

The fact is that it's currently significantly more expensive for an American to buy a CyBook than it is for a European to buy one.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:33 AM   #15
DDHarriman
Guru

It is in your Europe, not in all Europe.

Lets get a common ground coin, the euro, lets see the price of the Cybook without any other costs and without VAT - not realistic as we agreed before, what counts is the total cost, but as you have begun by comparing without VAT costs between US and UK, I will stick to that.

US:
289 $US (Books on Board, as state in the first post above), US prices no VAT.
Yesterdays rate 1 euro - 1,2525 $US
Price in euros: 230,74 euros

UK
180 pounds (W. H. Smith)
VAT in the UK 17,5%
Price without VAT: 153,19 pounds
Yesterdays rate 1 euro - 0,8442 pounds
Price in euros without VAT: 181,46 euros

Europe in the euro
280 euros (Bookeen online shop)
VAT in France 19,6%
Price in euros without VAT: 234,11 euros