Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes -- but worth explicit mention.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My brother-in-law bought a PW3 because of the typesetting. Does the typesetting work or do we have to wait for a new firmware? He's tried a few Kindle eBooks (direct from Amazon) and still no typesetting. Does the firmware support typesetting or does it need an update?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My brother-in-law bought a PW3 because of the typesetting. Does the typesetting work or do we have to wait for a new firmware? He's tried a few Kindle eBooks (direct from Amazon) and still no typesetting. Does the firmware support typesetting or does it need an update?
Jon,

Did you find my post #24 above to be unclear?

The description of the PW3 on Amazon's website very clearly and unambiguously says that the enhanced typesetting features are "coming soon"? Did you or your brother-in-law not read the description of what it is you're buying?

Last edited by HarryT; 07-01-2015 at 01:56 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #34
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
FTR the bookerly font doesn't look too good on the Voyage. It looks good on the Kobo Glo HD with the weight upped, but it's too light on the Voyage.

If your talking about the Bookerly fonts that have been floating around the web since it was released on the fire... I extracted the text strings from that file, (curiosity, and all that.),... there's a comment that the font is explicitly the "LCD" Variant. I'm hoping that means that the E-ink version will be darkened a little. I think Bookerly looks ok on the Kobo Glo HD if I increase the weight by .2. That's also the same weight I set Georgia at, and I can't decide which font I prefer, so I guess either would be a good default choice. It's still much thinner than the Caecilia on the PW2, but perfectly readable and looks very fine. (Trying to read on the PW2 again for a day, I really notice the poor resolution now compared to recent Kobo devices. I'll probably cave and buy a PW3 soon just so I can complete my set.)

Quote:
Bookerly Regular LCD Version 1.000Bookerly-RegularCopyright 2014 Dalton Maag Ltd. Modification of this file requires prior written permission from Dalton Maag Ltd.Dalton Maag, and DaMa are registered trademarks of Dalton Maag Ltd.http://www.daltonmaag.com/eula
Fun exercise: compare Bookerly to "Cordale" font.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Jon,

Did you find my post #24 above to be unclear?

The description of the PW3 on Amazon's website very clearly and unambiguously says that the enhanced typesetting features are "coming soon"? Did you or your brother-in-law not read the description of what it is you're buying?
I thought that coming soon meant that it was coming with the PW3. I guess coming soon really meant it's not yet available.

We'll just have to wait and see how long coming soon is.
Advert
Old 07-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #36
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think the point of an ereader is reading. Every manufacturer does some things right and some things wrong. It's the reading experience that matters.

All of these modern devices, Kobo, Kindle, Nook, provide an excellent reading experience. We all have our favorite.

Each of these has it's flaws. Focusing on those seems pretty negative to me. These usually have little to do with the reading experience.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #37
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I thought that coming soon meant that it was coming with the PW3. I guess coming soon really meant it's not yet available.

We'll just have to wait and see how long coming soon is.
Great idea Jon. Seat comfortably next to your computer with a stopwatch, and please oh please make sure that when the typesetting works, you do not forget to complain about how long the wait was for "you all".

Of course, you could also just read a book and have a nice life, and forget about the amazon's conspiration theory, but where would all the fun for you be ?
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #38
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I think the point of an ereader is reading. Every manufacturer does some things right and some things wrong. It's the reading experience that matters.

All of these modern devices, Kobo, Kindle, Nook, provide an excellent reading experience. We all have our favorite.

Each of these has it's flaws. Focusing on those seems pretty negative to me. These usually have little to do with the reading experience.

Barry
I agree with you completely
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #39
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
So will side-loaded books have or not have access to the new typesetting / formatting features on Kindles? Or is it still unknown?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #40
terendel
Enthusiast
terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Yeah exactly that is why I had to test it myself. The reviewers might have received a beta version of the firmware update that hasn't rolled out yet. Either that or they didn't really know what they were looking at. Didn't know if early adopters of the PW 3 would get that firmware early. Well now I know, the answer is no.
Yes, we reviewers received a beta version of the update, which is why we were able to play around with the new typography. It is a very stable beta version. I've had 0 problems with it.
terendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #41
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I believe it is still unknown until the kindle devices get then updates that will have that typeset engine in it.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #42
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
@terendel. Could you load a side-loaded book onto the PW3 and see if the new typesetting / formatting features work?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #43
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
The PW3 absolutely doesn't have that float over the screen feel that the Voyage has. Just like Kolenka said the main difference between the Voyage and PW3 is the glass front on the Voyage. It really makes the screen pop.

To imagine how the PW3 looks, just imagine the PW1 or 2 with slightly sharper font rendering.
Yeah, that's a good way to describe it. The end result is that it feels a bit like the 300DPI screen, while still an improvement, is a bit of overkill with the layer they put on top of the screen on the PW3.

If you are coming from a Paperwhite or other model, it looks fine. But when you put it side by side with a Voyage in person, it is obvious that the Voyage does the screen better justice. The drop in contrast is one thing, but the drop in sharpness compared to the Voyage is another, unfortunately. I still like the ergonomics better, but I would probably be happy with an update to the Voyage firmware that rejects spurious touches along the edges of the screen.

Quote:
That makes me think that they probably just use the same light for the two models and there is just model to model variation.
Yeah. This variation doesn't seem new either. Sourcing LEDs of a perfect color temp is actually somewhat tough right now, while still keeping price in mind.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #44
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
I still like the ergonomics better, but I would probably be happy with an update to the Voyage firmware that rejects spurious touches along the edges of the screen.
My biggest problem with the Voyage are accidental screen advances. That bezel was just a little too small for my pudgy fingers. I agree with you, if there was a dead zone on the edge of the screen I would be happy.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
My biggest problem with the Voyage are accidental screen advances. That bezel was just a little too small for my pudgy fingers. I agree with you, if there was a dead zone on the edge of the screen I would be happy.
That's one reason to use a good cover. Most Readers have a bezel that's too small. Also, it gives some protection in case of a drop.