Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #31
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I have a trashcan on my 200GB USB hard drive, which I only connect and disconnect when the Win XP is running. Perhaps no trashcan only if the drive is small enough.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is there anything which allows Windows to differentiate between an external USB hard disk and a memory card, I wonder? As you say, external hard disks do get a Trash Can, but memory cards don't! They both show up in the Windows Device Manager as "USB Mass Storage Device".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is there anything which allows Windows to differentiate between an external USB hard disk and a memory card, I wonder? As you say, external hard disks do get a Trash Can, but memory cards don't! They both show up in the Windows Device Manager as "USB Mass Storage Device".
There must be. As is said here... my USB drive gets a Recycle bin and I can configure it's size. However, my USB flash drive doesn't get one.

The only difference I see is that the USB drive is for formated as NTFS and the memory stick as FAT.

Also, in windows I can right click on a certain drive and empty just it's recycle bin. I don't see a way to do that on my Mac. Hmm... another mystery my Mac can't write to my USB drive, it can only read it. Another new Mac user quandary.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #34
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
PilotBob

Sorry, not sure if it's your external USB HD or flash drive that you can't write to, but if you right-click on it and choose Get Info > Ownership and Permissions, you'll see your access rights to that drive; you can change them (or choose to ignore them) from the pop-up menu.

I'm sure the smarter computer folk on this forum will put me right if I'm wrong, but AFAIK whilst OSX can read NTFS formatted drives, writing to them is a bit hit and miss; I think FAT is preferred for drives shared between Windows and OSX, or HFS+Journaled if it's OSX only.

Hope this helps, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote