Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
$99 Nexus 7 (code name ME127V) specs has been released

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/29...-me172v-tablet

Quote:
Notebook Italia has managed to get its hands on a set of Asus press photos, showing the upcoming ME127V tablet in all its glory. The tablet share a lot of its design DNA with the Nexus 7, but unlike the Nexus, it will also be available in white, which is a nice touch.

Of course, since it’s practically a poor man’s Nexus 7, there are a few compromises worth mentioning. It is powered by a VIA WM8950 dual-core processor and it features 1GB of RAM. There’s also 16GB of storage on board, which is not bad for an entry level device. The OS of choice is Android 4.1.

The screen is also different. The Nexus 7 boasts a 1280x800 IPS panel, while the ME172V has to make do with a 1024x600 TN display. Like the Nexus 7, its cheaper cousin lacks a rear camera, but it has a 1.3-megapixel front-facing unit.
I'm still waiting for a 5" tablet for $99 that will be a competitor to the Ipod Touch.

Specs:

VIA WM8950 dual-core processor
1GB of RAM
16GB of storage
Android 4.1
1024x600 TN display
1.3-megapixel front-facing camera

Price? ($99 or $129 or $149?)

Last edited by Top100EbooksRank; 12-21-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
A 5" tablet would not be a direct competitor to the iPod Touch, but to the larger Galaxy Player.
I can go running with my iPod Touch; I would not want to try it with a 5" tablet.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's a single core CPU, not dual core.

In fact, the better way to describe it would be system-on-a-chip, or SOC. That one chip has the CPU, GPU, and a lot of other stuff shoehorned in.

Pretty much all the cheaper CPUs these days are actually SOC. All the ones which mention a Mali GPU have that GPU stuck on the same physical chip as the CPU.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
It looks like a very basic device. The screen is a bit lacking at this resolution. I guess this is mostly targeted towards emerging markets. There's little reason to pick this over the existing N7 if you have the extra cash.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
That's actually not bad for $99. Not something I would buy though, and I don't like what Google is doing to the Nexus brand. Nexus was originally premium devices, now they are mid to low end. That's disappointing.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
That's actually not bad for $99. Not something I would buy though, and I don't like what Google is doing to the Nexus brand. Nexus was originally premium devices, now they are mid to low end. That's disappointing.
The $99/$149 device mentioned above is not a Nexus tablet. It says Asus on the back.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Looks like the specs of my Nook Tablet. But at least my NT has a dual-core CPU.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I hope this is more than a rumour. $100 mid-range tablets could be put to a lot of good use in developing countries. I'd buy several myself.

So far, low-income countries have to choose between junk like the Aakash and devices that are way too expensive. There's no happy medium.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
They don't charge premium prices, but they are premium devices internally, if you ask me. Yes, there is no brushed aluminum on the outside, but the internals are great on the devices they have out in the market now.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I hope this is more than a rumour. $100 mid-range tablets could be put to a lot of good use in developing countries. I'd buy several myself.

So far, low-income countries have to choose between junk like the Aakash and devices that are way too expensive. There's no happy medium.
A good low cost reader combined with solar chargers would be huge for villages that are way off the grid. Combined with the storage capabilities and the potential saving because the weight difference of a paper library vs an e-book library when moving from place to place for (nomadic) peoples.

DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Yup, but the applications go way beyond reading. We're looking to use them for mobile diagnostics, tracking patient data, and payment processing. The potential is enormous.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Totally agree it would be huge!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote