Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Sony 350/650/950 for $120/$170/$200 from B&H

$120: Sony PRS-350 Silver or Pink.

$170: Sony PRS-650 Black or Red.

$200: Sony PRS-950 Silver.

Free shipping. 650 Black and 950 are pre-order.

Last edited by jj2me; 11-15-2010 at 08:13 AM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
wow, almost competitive with the kindle again
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
wow!! 100$ off in a month!!
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Ships cheap to Canada with a good exchange rate--not sure if there would be a ding for duty. I didn't go that far in the process, though it does look like they take care of the duty on their end and we can pay it at POS.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
they are a reputable seller.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Ships cheap to Canada with a good exchange rate--not sure if there would be a ding for duty. I didn't go that far in the process, though it does look like they take care of the duty on their end and we can pay it at POS.
I have ordered from BHphoto to Canada before. I have always used the UPS expedited option (Purolator Ground is something new). I always ended up only paying 5% GST (I am in Alberta) on arrival.

The Purolator ground option seems tempting, but I have a feeling that similarly to UPS ground they will ding you with high brokerage and whatnot charges. But I might be mistaken.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
I did put in in cart just to see what the duty charges would be. As expected, the Purolator ground option seems to have duty charges on it, but the UPS Expedited is not certain. However I do believe that with electronics you will not be billed duty in Canada when using UPS Expedited, just tax.
So in the end UPS expedited seems like the cheaper and faster alternative compared to Puro Ground. $28 shipping kind of kills the deal IMO.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #8
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I just noticed that they have the "Breast Cancer" (anti-) version of the 350 for $120, too. If you don't mind the color, it comes with a free cover.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Exclusive.html
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_T View Post
wow, almost competitive with the kindle again
I'd say it is competitive.

I'd choose a 350 over a K3 if the prices were identical (and it's going for 20 bucks less).
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #10
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
A great deal, consider I bought the PRS900 from Best Buy in December for $359 plus taxes. I did save an extra $50 since I had a Best Buy gift card but still $199 about 10 months later for a better product. Yes, I ordered one (now I have 4 readers ).
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
So if i place the order now on the prs-950 which they do not currently have in stock, will i have to pay the normal 250$ if they get the readers in two weeks by which time the 199$ campain will be over? anyone here have such an experience from the past?
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
envy
Brown Eyed Girl
envy doesn't litterenvy doesn't litter

Device: Sony Prs 600, Nook, Sony prs 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksnoopy View Post
So if i place the order now on the prs-950 which they do not currently have in stock, will i have to pay the normal 250$ if they get the readers in two weeks by which time the 199$ campain will be over? anyone here have such an experience from the past?

IF you order now, you get the $199 deal regardless if they have the product or not.
envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I clicked on the links above, and the price of all units now appears to be at least $30 higher than the prices quoted above. Apparently it was a very short-lived special sale. As usual, I'm a dollar short and a day late!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I clicked on the links above, and the price of all units now appears to be at least $30 higher than the prices quoted above. Apparently it was a very short-lived special sale.
Yep. Looks like they caught their pricing error. When I got my shipping notice this morning for the 350 I ordered, the lower price was still up, but now they are back to "normal." As I suspected, they meant to show the Sony instant rebate of $30 to $50 off MSRP, but what they really showed was that discount off of the already discounted price.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
Loss Stop
Enthusiast
Loss Stop is on a distinguished road

Device: kobo 1, prs 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
I have ordered from BHphoto to Canada before. I have always used the UPS expedited option (Purolator Ground is something new). I always ended up only paying 5% GST (I am in Alberta) on arrival.

The Purolator ground option seems tempting, but I have a feeling that similarly to UPS ground they will ding you with high brokerage and whatnot charges. But I might be mistaken.
Futureshop has the 350 on sale right now (maybe the 650 too) for $170, reg $200. The price at BH is now up at $150. I think after shipping and brokerage, you're better off just buying it locally.
Loss Stop is offline   Reply With Quote