Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-05-2015, 01:42 AM   #22501
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Dog Warrior, after first re-reading #3 in the series, Bitter Waters. Then got totally sidetracked by a new (to me) series, the Charlie Fox series from Zoe Sharp. The first book in the series is: Killer Instinct, and it's a very promising first novel indeed. Part of an omnibus edition: A Triple Shot of Charlie Fox for the quite reasonable price of $7.99. I really liked the first book, though it had a few rough spots. For a first novel? Very promising indeed. I'm going to give the second one, Riot Act a try next.
Finished Riot Act, the second Charlie Fox book from Zoe Sharp. And much as I liked the first, I liked the second even more, so I went right on to #3, Hard Knocks. Excellent, and getting better. We see Charlie growing into her role and coming to grips with how she got there, and in a way that feels right, at least to this readerly eye.

The next omnibus is available on KU, and I'll be starting on that next I think. The first book the next omnibus is First Drop, which is actually #4 in the series, but the first one that got picked up in the US.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #22502
Kat_M
Basement Cat
Kat_M began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I just finished #1 of the Aster Wood series (middle grade fantasy) by J. B. Cantwell for my neighborhood's summer reading book club. It's a bit too old for my son, but not his older friends.

As far as fantasy goes, it felt fresh and very enjoyable. Enough is different that it's not the same-old fantasy arc set in a dragons-n-swords world. Instead, he jumps locales quite often, giving us a taste of many cool atmospheres without being bogged down by extensive geography descriptions.
Kat_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #22503
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Moving on: Outskirter's Secret by Rosemary Kirstein. The second in her Steerswoman series.
Which was as good, perhaps better, than the first.

Now for some shorter humorous works: Chicks and Balances, edited by Esther Friesner. The latest collection in the "Chicks in Chainmail" series from Baen.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:44 AM   #22504
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill, the first in the Simon Serrailler series. It's a crime novel about the disappearance of a number of people from a quiet cathedral town in England, though much of the focus is on the lives of the characters, rather than the crimes themselves.

It's unusual in that it is known as the Serrailler series, yet Simon has barely made an appearance in the book, most of the story being told from the perspective of either his sister or one of his work colleagues, a female Detective. Good stuff though, and I will definitely be reading more in the series.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #22505
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Which was as good, perhaps better, than the first.

Now for some shorter humorous works: Chicks and Balances, edited by Esther Friesner. The latest collection in the "Chicks in Chainmail" series from Baen.
I have the original Chicks in Chanmail in paperback somewhere... holy cow, I picked that up something like nineteen years ago!

I have finished 1066: The Hidden History in the Bayeux Tapestry by Andrew Bridgeford; very interesting, though he might be stretching a bit on some of his speculation.

Now reading The Stone of Darkness, the third Dragonslayer book by Resa Nelson.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #22506
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Agent of Vega and Other Stories" by James H. Schmitz, originally bought from Baen in 2001. A collection of all the SF stories of Schmitz that aren't set in his "Hub Federation" universe. An excellent collection: my particular favourite was a story called "Gone Fishing". Highly recommended!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #22507
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Waterloo by Bernard Cornwell based on a reco from Apache and it was a great read. I learned much more about this battle than I ever knew.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #22508
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Just finished Waterloo by Bernard Cornwell based on a reco from Apache and it was a great read. I learned much more about this battle than I ever knew.
Great, glad to hear it. Feel free to jump in when we start discussing the book on the 20th. It's our MobileRead Book Club selection this month. I'm going to be playing catchup myself, since I have it in Audible format, but not as an ebook. (too expensive in North America.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #22509
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Fun series. You might also look for the Unidentified Funny Objects anthologies - three so far, and a fourth later this year.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:02 AM   #22510
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just finished "Cosm", by Gregory Benford. A particle physicist running an experiment in a particle accelerator unexpectedly creates a strange artefact which turns out to be a wormhole leading to a newly created universe. Excellent hard SF - I've not read a book of Benford's that I've not thoroughly enjoyed. Thoroughly recommended.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:40 AM   #22511
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "Cosm", by Gregory Benford. A particle physicist running an experiment in a particle accelerator unexpectedly creates a strange artefact which turns out to be a wormhole leading to a newly created universe. Excellent hard SF - I've not read a book of Benford's that I've not thoroughly enjoyed. Thoroughly recommended.
Particle physicist running an experiment, creates gateway... destroys a city in Florida - except for one girl who somehow survives.

John Ringo and Travis S. Taylor's "Looking Glass" (AKA Voyage of the Space Bubble) series. Into the Looking Glass, Vorpal Blade, Manxome Foe, Claws that Catch, and I wish they'd get with it and do another book.

"I wish they'd get with it and do another book" isn't that the next title in every series?
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #22512
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Harry, is this available in English? I can only find it in German on the Kindle, Kobo or iBooks site.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #22513
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Harry, is this available in English? I can only find it in German on the Kindle, Kobo or iBooks site.
In the UK it's available under the "SF Gateway" Gollancz imprint, as are all Benford's books. Unfortunately, a lot of Gateway books aren't available in the US due to rights issues (the usual case of different US and UK publishers).

Sorry .
Old 07-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #22514
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In the UK it's available under the "SF Gateway" Gollancz imprint, as are all Benford's books. Unfortunately, a lot of Gateway books aren't available in the US due to rights issues (the usual case of different US and UK publishers).

Sorry .
Shoot
Old 07-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #22515
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Shoot
Amazon UK account.......................
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote