Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
zcqsimon
zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
sony prs-650 processor

Does anyone know which processor prs-650 uses and the clock speed? Is there software to detect it? Is it as better than kindle 3?
zcqsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It's a Freescale i.MX31 (ARM1136JF-S core). The clock speed seems to be 260 MHz. I _think_ Kindle uses the same one, but I'm not 100% sure.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

According to the MR Wiki, the K3 uses Freescale i.MX35 (ARM1136JF-S core, 532MHz). I have no idea of how accurate the info is though.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
It's a Freescale i.MX31 (ARM1136JF-S core). The clock speed seems to be 260 MHz. I _think_ Kindle uses the same one, but I'm not 100% sure.
Does anyone know how this compares to the 350?
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
fyre182
fyre182 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Igorsk

can you confirm the 260 mhz ? why is the processor underclocked so much? The native speed for that processor is 532 mhz i believe with 133 mhz multipliers. It seems that the touchscreen is draining a lot of battery

jswinden

where did you find that it was the newer i.mx35. I could not find the link. I thought that this was the same processor as the i.mx31 but for automobiles. Also, do you know if the 532 mhz is the actual speed it is operating at? Or, is it underclocked like the prs-650.

Last edited by fyre182; 09-27-2010 at 10:56 PM.
fyre182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
Since it would appear someone has been inside a PRS-650 - let me ask - will it be difficult to change the battery when that time comes? Does it require anything more than a tiny Phillips screwdriver?

Thanks!
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
zcqsimon
zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNI View Post
Since it would appear someone has been inside a PRS-650 - let me ask - will it be difficult to change the battery when that time comes? Does it require anything more than a tiny Phillips screwdriver?

Thanks!
Yeah, I'd also like to know it, since the battery is quite small (930mAh) compared to other 6'' E-Readers (kindle 3 1750mAh, nook 1530mAh), not to mention that the touch screen consume more energy than kindle
Old 09-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #8
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
How much of an improvement is the speed over the PRS-600? Double?

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyre182 View Post
Igorsk

can you confirm the 260 mhz ? why is the processor underclocked so much? The native speed for that processor is 532 mhz i believe with 133 mhz multipliers. It seems that the touchscreen is draining a lot of battery

jswinden

where did you find that it was the newer i.mx35. I could not find the link. I thought that this was the same processor as the i.mx31 but for automobiles. Also, do you know if the 532 mhz is the actual speed it is operating at? Or, is it underclocked like the prs-650.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

Take this info with a grain of salt, as they say. I have no idea of the accuracy.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
I just used the wiki to look up the PRS-600.

"Freescale i.MX31L (ARM1136JF-S core, 532MHz)."

That makes the PRS-650 half the speed of the PRS-600! That cannot be right.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyre182 View Post
Igorsk

From the dmesg:
Code:
CPU is i.MX31 Revision 2.0
Clock input source is 26000000
It's possible that it's not the actual CPU clock speed. The CPU has DVFS (dynamic voltage and frequency scaling) so it can run at varying speeds. Here's the output of cat /sys/devices/system/dvfs/dvfs0/status for PRS-900:
Code:
DVFS is enabled
clock = [266000000Hz]
UP:     0       1       1       5
DOWN:   8       7       6       0
Update 532MHz(7) 399MHz(8) 266MHz(13) 133MHz(0)
intr fsvai-err:0 wrong-err:0
(I don't have a 350/650 right now to compare)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
I just used the wiki to look up the PRS-600.
"Freescale i.MX31L (ARM1136JF-S core, 532MHz)."
That makes the PRS-650 half the speed of the PRS-600! That cannot be right.
-Pie
The CPU is rated 532MHz. It doesn't mean it's running at that speed all the time.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
zcqsimon

Quote:
From the dmesg:
Code:
It's possible that it's not the actual CPU clock speed. The CPU has DVFS (dynamic voltage and frequency scaling) so it can run at varying speeds. Here's the output of cat /sys/devices/system/dvfs/dvfs0/status for PRS-900:
Code:
DVFS is enabled
clock = [266000000Hz]
UP:     0       1       1       5
DOWN:   8       7       6       0
Update 532MHz(7) 399MHz(8) 266MHz(13) 133MHz(0)
intr fsvai-err:0 wrong-err:0
(I don't have a 350/650 right now to compare)

The CPU is rated 532MHz. It doesn't mean it's running at that speed all the time.
thanks, it's real technical post, when the prs-650 arrives, I'd like to check it.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 AM   #13
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
this is the comparison chart from Freescale:

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32b...MPR.pdf?fpsp=1

One difference between the mx31 and mx35 is the ethernet.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #14
mitchelln
Enthusiast
mitchelln began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcqsimon View Post
Yeah, I'd also like to know it, since the battery is quite small (930mAh) compared to other 6'' E-Readers (kindle 3 1750mAh, nook 1530mAh), not to mention that the touch screen consume more energy than kindle
Don't forget the Kindle has Wifi + 3G which burn a lot of juice, so it will need a bigger battery.
The 650 is much snappier than my 600 and makes the 505 seem pedestrian.
mitchelln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
From the dmesg:
Code:
[code]
Igorsk, am I reading that wrong? That doesn't say 260mHz - it says 26mHz.

mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote