Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Someone reported here recently that, when they asked about getting hold of books for the Reader outside the US, Sony Support pointed them at (IIRC) PG, ManyBooks, and Baen, so I think the word is getting through!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Someone reported here recently that, when they asked about getting hold of books for the Reader outside the US, Sony Support pointed them at (IIRC) PG, ManyBooks, and Baen, so I think the word is getting through!
Has anyone yet asked Sony if they plan to sell the Reader outside the US?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #18
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
There was a rumor about Canadian launch in beginning of June, but looks like it was just a rumor after all.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, the scheduled May 2006 U.S. launch of the Reader didn't happen until the end of September, so maybe by Halloween?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #20
raf1987
raf1987 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I have read that phillips hold the licence as it is their technology thus Sony are not allowed to sell in Europe but are trying to resolve this. I read this from a PDF file when I googled PRS-500. I have a new Sony reader but am just finding out how limited I appear to be downloading books from other sites
raf1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf1987 View Post
I have read that phillips hold the licence as it is their technology thus Sony are not allowed to sell in Europe but are trying to resolve this. I read this from a PDF file when I googled PRS-500. I have a new Sony reader but am just finding out how limited I appear to be downloading books from other sites
If you have a Windows Box or access to one, you can download LIT format files and use CLIT to stirp the DRM and either load the LIT file sans DRM into Book Designer or convert the LIT file to HTML and deal with it using html2lrf. Not hard really. I've done it a number of times already.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raf1987 View Post
I have read that phillips hold the licence as it is their technology thus Sony are not allowed to sell in Europe but are trying to resolve this.
Well, that's close, raf1987: the e-ink technology belongs to a company called e-ink (unsurprisingly) and Phillips/iRex do have an "exclusive" license of some sort from them for the tech, but I'm not sure if that's manufacturing, sales or what.

And while that license might very well be complicating things for Sony in Europe (good point, that, I hadn't considered the ramifications of it), it certainly shouldn't have any effect in Canada, for instance.

We do know that there are definitely some legal-type obstacles in the area of book distribution rights. Specifically, we don't believe that Sony has global distribution rights, which limits where they can and can't sell books from the Connect Store. And since they've tied the Reader pretty closely to the ConnStore in their marketing strategy ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #23
raf1987
raf1987 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have a Windows Box or access to one, you can download LIT format files and use CLIT to stirp the DRM and either load the LIT file sans DRM into Book Designer or convert the LIT file to HTML and deal with it using html2lrf. Not hard really. I've done it a number of times already.
Thanks for that. I will look into this. It is a good learning curve for me
raf1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #24
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Well, that's close, raf1987: the e-ink technology belongs to a company called e-ink (unsurprisingly) and Phillips/iRex do have an "exclusive" license of some sort from them for the tech, but I'm not sure if that's manufacturing, sales or what.

And while that license might very well be complicating things for Sony in Europe (good point, that, I hadn't considered the ramifications of it), it certainly shouldn't have any effect in Canada, for instance.

We do know that there are definitely some legal-type obstacles in the area of book distribution rights. Specifically, we don't believe that Sony has global distribution rights, which limits where they can and can't sell books from the Connect Store. And since they've tied the Reader pretty closely to the ConnStore in their marketing strategy ....
In Canada what might slow them down is French content. Canada is an officially bilingual country. A milk carton has English as well as French description even though the French speaking population is mainly concentrated in one area.

Also, Sony entities in every country are separate from one another, taking their own decisions relatively to the mother house.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #25
cfc
cfc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350
Looks like the ABC Amber Sony Converter is available at http://www.processtext.com/abcsonylrf.html
It looks like it only converts from LRF. Now that they have this though wouldn't they update their other converters to convert to LRF?
cfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:56 PM   #26
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Yes, version 1.05 is new today. It converts LRF to TXT, RTF, HTML, DOC, PDF, CHM, PDB, HJT (TreePad), RB (RocketBook), KNT (KeyNote), and LIT.

In testing up to version 1.04, it has worked successfully with files created by BookDesigner, html2lrf (part of libprs500), LRF Creator, Falstaff's XML LRF creator, whatever Sony used for the non-DRM books that came with the Reader, and whatever BlackMask/Munsey's uses.

Some ManyBooks Sony files work fine while others seem to have a "slight" problem. Those files that have a problem with ABC Amber also cannot be opened in the PC version of CONNECT and display an error. I feel this is due to an error on the part of ManyBooks rather than a problem with ABC Amber Sony Converter.

Since this is a text converter, books like DropD.lrf (in the MobileRead Sony Download section) that are all graphics (guitar chords) will understandably not translate at all.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So if I have one of the books posted here that have illustrations and I try to convert this to another format, I'll lose the graphics?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:55 PM   #28
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
guys, why would anyone want this converter?
I was really hopig they do converter the other way 'round, something that can create proper .lrs/.lrf files.

I'm kind of disappointed and surprised at the same time...
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:17 AM   #29
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As NatCh would say, "Have patience Grasshopper."

I don't know what Yernar will be up to next. He has already released freeware converters for LIT, PDB (Palm), and now LRF (Sony) files to other formats. He has commercial products for converting PDF and RB (RocketBook) to other formats. All of them have provisions for both single file conversions and batch file conversion.

If history is a guide (and I don't have any advance information here) then the LRF format might in the future appear in other conversion tools as a target format to convert to.

He gave us this tool for free and I, for one, am very grateful for it. I have already converted a badly formatted LRF from Munsey's, edited it to correct bad line endings and tripple spaces between paragraphs, and through BookDesigner recreated a now very readable LRF. Without Yernar's tool this would be impossible. It is to my knowledge the first tool to reverse LRFs. Remember that until today LRF and IMP were dead end formats that things went into but never came out again. I am quite happy about this.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:21 AM   #30
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So if I have one of the books posted here that have illustrations and I try to convert this to another format, I'll lose the graphics?
That is correct. All graphics are currently removed from the text in version 1.05.