Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
The percentage of people that like to read, and the percentage that you see reading when travelling, may well be different!
Agreed. I just don't understand, if you like to read, why you would waste 20 minutes staring out the window. I read the entire Harry Potter Series on the train. Some days I wanted the trip to last longer, because my daugher was young and I couldn't get any reading time at home.

I don't consider someone who reads less than a book a month a reader. That would be like calling someone who has less than a drink a month a drinker. Seems to me it has to be more of a habit than that.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #17
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I don't consider someone who reads less than a book a month a reader. That would be like calling someone who has less than a drink a month a drinker. Seems to me it has to be more of a habit than that.
In days gone by, a lot of monks might have read less than one book a month, but they all had habits. Is someone who has less than one philand a month not a philanderer?

These stats seemed to suggest much less than 50% would fit your "reader" definition, but where in the 1%-50% we get to 12 per annum is not clear.

Perhaps the main point is that we are the elite Be afraid.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #18
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post

Perhaps the main point is that we are the elite Be afraid.
Indeed! The Triple Digit Readers are HERE!
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:14 PM   #19
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Out in public, I would say no more than 10% of the people on my train car have their nose in a book or a newspaper. Probably another 20% are listening to ipods. The remaining 70% are doing nothing. It absolutely astounds me. They are just sitting there. Granted, it is only a 20 minute ride, but I am reading while I am waiting for the train, and on the train. I would read walking from the train to work, except there are too many people around. I cannot stand to have nothing to do. I recently put episodes of True Blood (recorded from TV) on my ipod. I forgot my knitting pattern today, and I don't have my kindle. So I will watch I Smell a Rat tonight.
I so hear you about doing nothing. I have ADD; doing nothing just doesn't happen without a major struggle.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #20
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Indeed! The Triple Digit Readers are HERE!
How do you ride a serpent with only three fingers?
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #21
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I edit for a living and support all forms of reading, but downtime (if you can manage it) serves a purpose:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/te...5brain.html?hp
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:52 PM   #22
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I read while brushing my teeth, I read while walking down the hallway, I read while cooking dinner (although Iʻm more cautious with the reader than I was with a pbook), I read while watching TV and eating dinner (yeah, my mom always wondered about that one). I read a *lot* compared to every single person I know irl. No one I know reads like me (except maybe my mom, but she does her daily hygiene without a book. I canʻt seem to manage... oh and my 10yo son is turning out like me). I even read while walking around the track (ipod touches and blackberries are great for that... I donʻt recommend that for nature paths or highway walking).

I rarely, however, read in airports. I try, I get started, but I get so distracted people-watching. After all, I am a psychologist
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #23
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I read while brushing my teeth, I read while walking down the hallway, I read while cooking dinner (although Iʻm more cautious with the reader than I was with a pbook), I read while watching TV and eating dinner (yeah, my mom always wondered about that one). I read a *lot* compared to every single person I know irl. No one I know reads like me (except maybe my mom, but she does her daily hygiene without a book. I canʻt seem to manage... oh and my 10yo son is turning out like me). I even read while walking around the track (ipod touches and blackberries are great for that... I donʻt recommend that for nature paths or highway walking).

I rarely, however, read in airports. I try, I get started, but I get so distracted people-watching. After all, I am a psychologist
I have a moldy B.S. in Psychology (not even close enough to be called a psychologist) and I also find myself distracted people watching.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:25 AM   #24
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I suspect that various experts and MR posters alike use the word "reader" when they mean "book reader".

For example, someone who doesn't read 12 books a year may not be what you call a reader, but what if he subscribed to one or two daily newspapers (say, his local paper and USA Today or the Wall Street Journal)? Would you say that he is not a reader because he doesn't read many books?

I go to the McDonald's every morning for a cup of coffee. It has three copies of our local paper seven days a week, and all three are always being read. I doubt that many of the folks there are book readers.

And in regard to the airport terminals, I find the volume they have their TVs set at is so loud, I can't read even though I want to!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:21 AM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I find it hard to read on BART, the train wheel screech is way noisy, even with headphones muffling the noise.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #26
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I suspect that various experts and MR posters alike use the word "reader" when they mean "book reader".

For example, someone who doesn't read 12 books a year may not be what you call a reader, but what if he subscribed to one or two daily newspapers (say, his local paper and USA Today or the Wall Street Journal)? Would you say that he is not a reader because he doesn't read many books?

I go to the McDonald's every morning for a cup of coffee. It has three copies of our local paper seven days a week, and all three are always being read. I doubt that many of the folks there are book readers.

And in regard to the airport terminals, I find the volume they have their TVs set at is so loud, I can't read even though I want to!
I don't count my reading of the news as reading. I call it getting the news. I scan headlines, when I see one that interests me I start reading the article, if it doesn't grab me I zip back to scanning headlings. It's rare I find a decent article and even more rare that I find a decent article that interests me.

Reading the instructions on a oatmeal box doesn't count as "reading" for me, either. Neither does scanning the time-honored grafitti on the bathroom wall.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #27
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I don't think that 26 men part sounds right.
Heck I know of 3, and thats in North Dakota!

Been to a Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention lately?
Our local one used to run to 500-600 people, over half of them men, and 90% of them read regularly, some of stacks of books much bigger than mine.

1% of the total population, perhaps.

Last edited by GhostHawk; 08-25-2010 at 04:37 PM.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #28
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I edit for a living and support all forms of reading, but downtime (if you can manage it) serves a purpose:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/te...5brain.html?hp
I agree - it is why I can justify knitting. But exercising? I need to be distracted. If I concentrate on what I am doing, I wouldn't do it!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:51 AM   #29
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post

Your reading seems obsessive. What's the diagnosis?
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:54 AM   #30
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
I just don't understand, if you like to read, why you would waste 20 minutes staring out the window.
They could be cogitating or zoning out. Both useful exercises.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote