Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Library audiobooks on the web

No too long ago, we brought you a story about some neat things you can do with Pocket Tunes on a PalmOS handheld. Number one was listening to audiobooks borrowed online from your public library. Even before that, TeleRead had a story about the Pittsburgh library offering e-books and audiobooks online.

Well, since then I've listened to a few audiobooks from the Pittsburgh library using Pocket Tunes on my Treo. It's an awesome combination, and it works great. You do have to do the download and get your licensing via Windows Media Player, but basically it's very simple. Once you're signed up, you pick your audiobook, download it, and then transfer it to your mobile device. Play it on Pocket Tunes. But I'm not sure if you need the Deluxe version or not. Full instructions are provided in the links here.

And if you aren't in the city of Pittsburgh (as I'm not), you just need to be in the state and sign up for a Carnegie library card. I did that with ease. I may not get the full selection that way, because I'm out of Allegheny county, but it's still a great and free service. You may find that your own local libraries across the country have some similar sort of service. It's definitely worth checking it out, and I wouldn't be surprised if you can even do something similar with a Windows Mobile device.

If nothing else, it's one way to ease the wait until your favorite new e-ink device comes out!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:59 PM   #2
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
NYC Public library has a very extensive e-section with both ebooks (pdf/prc) and audioboks. There is a 10 item e-limit and some restrictions on the number of devices where they can be read/listened, and you cannot return them (they expire automatically in 3 weeks unless renewed for another 3). I downloaded several prc ebooks and they worked without problems on my pc and on my tablet, as well as some pdf books for my pc only (for pdf's there is one device restriction).
A card to NYPL is freely available to people who live, work, pay property taxes or go to school anywhere in the whole NY state and there is an out of state option for an annual fee (~100$).

http://ebooks.nypl.org

My local library system Westchester County LS has lots of audiobooks for download but not e-books for the moment.

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2006, 11:08 PM   #3
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Cleveland (cpl.org) has a few thousand audiobooks, about 2k in Mobipocket format and another 5.5k in Adobe format.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote