Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Looking for good Vampire books

Can anyone recommend some good Vampire books? My definition of good is the vampires do not sparkle. They like drinking blood. They are not ashamed to be vampires. And no romance. I don't care if romance is a part of the book, but I'm not looking for a vampire romance novel. Thanks for any recommendations.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Blood That Bonds by Christopher Buecheler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Can anyone recommend some good Vampire books? My definition of good is the vampires do not sparkle. They like drinking blood. They are not ashamed to be vampires. And no romance. I don't care if romance is a part of the book, but I'm not looking for a vampire romance novel. Thanks for any recommendations.
The Blood That Bonds by Christopher Buecheler
Quote:
"In the tradition of 'True Blood,' The Blood That Bonds presents vampires that are both attractive and terrifying — three-dimensional beings with a complex culture and fascinating history. Two is likewise a captivating heroine who struggles both with the dark vampire world and her own bleak background of human misery. The result is a Dennis-Lehane-meets-Anne-Rice romantic thriller that fans of dark vampire fiction will love."

—Diana Laurence
Author of How to Catch and Keep a Vampire & Bloodchained
and there's now a sequel, Blood Hunt, which i'm going to go and buy right now at smashwords
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	78617  

Last edited by alansplace; 11-04-2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: add info
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I liked Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt series, starting with Already Dead. Vampire-urban-noir.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool blood hunt

went and bought blood hunt at smashwords for $2.99. I'm going to read it next (later today) after i finish gladiator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	78628  
Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I dunno if they are ebooks, but I always liked Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_S..._%28vampire%29
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I dunno if they are ebooks, but I always liked Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_S..._%28vampire%29
18 Chelsea Quinn Yarbro ebooks at amazon
Old 11-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You have read the original Dracula? It's public domain and very well written.

There is a ... series called the "Black Knight" books about two guys who get bitten, become vampires but try to make ends-meet by starting a detective agency. Not great literature but fun.

You have read the Vampire Lestat novels by Anne Rice?

How about "Salem's Lot" by Stephen King? One of his first works and ... well I slept with a rosary nearby for a week after reading it.

I need help with this one: there is a series of books set in Toronto about a police detective who had to leave the force due to a degenerative eye problem. But she discovers Vampires are infecting the city. There are several books and they even made a short-lived TV series based on the characters. I read the first book - but it's in a box somewhere.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
You have read the Vampire Lestat novels by Anne Rice?
The first three are all excellent and are available as one ebook for $15.99 in the US (Amazon ASIN: B004WY2M8I).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Blood Books by Tanya Huff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
....I need help with this one: there is a series of books set in Toronto about a police detective who had to leave the force due to a degenerative eye problem. But she discovers Vampires are infecting the city. There are several books and they even made a short-lived TV series based on the characters. I read the first book - but it's in a box somewhere.
Blood Books by Tanya Huff
Old 11-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey all, will check out your recommendations and thank you!

I have read Salem's Lot, one of my favourite Stephen King books
Old 11-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #11
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Second the recommend for Tanya Huff's Blood Books, which are very good and very entertaining, and add one for Barbara Hambly's Asher & Ysidro series, which originally began as the standalone Those Who Hunt the Night, which was a Locus Best Horror Novel in 1989 or so and won a Lord Ruthven award. It's a truly excellent gaslight murder mystery with some very unrepentant classic vampires.

In a spoofier vein, Terry Pratchett's Carpe Jugulum, in the Discworld series, manages to satirize a lot of traditional and media-inspired beliefs about "vampyres" while also telling a fairly good story at the same time. If you like his take on things, prominent vampire supporting characters later show up in The Truth and Thud! further down the line.

Some of Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's Saint-Germain (and related spinoff) books are available via Fictionwise in MultiFormat, which makes them DRM-free and compatible with just about any reader. This also happens to make them discountable to a very cheap price when Fictionwise has its 40%+ weekend discount coupons which pop up in the Deals forum right here on MR.

The titles available via FW also have the advantage of being some of the very earliest out-of-print ones in the series, so you can try the start of the books at a fairly low cost. Although the Saint-Germain books are written all over the time line, chronologically, so there's not really a formal order and they're basically mostly standalone "episodes" in his life.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:30 AM   #12
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
A comic book series I'd recommend that features vampires is "American Vampire," published by Vertigo Comics (an imprint of DC Comics). It is about a mutant strain of vampires that came into existence in the United States and their conflict with the traditional vampires. Among their differences is that american vampires, while they have their limitations, are not weak to wood, don't have to sleep during the day, and don't have to avoid the sun.

It is a well-written series (with part of the early issues written by Stephen King), that jumps around a bit in time (some stories take place in the Old West, others in the 1930s). Several of the stories have been collected as trade paperbacks. It is worth a read.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:33 AM   #13
Laura81
Addict

Thanks ATDrake! Will add to the list.

Solitaire1 - Thanks! Will see if I can find any in ebook format.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:44 AM   #14
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
There was a Barnes and Noble Blog post about good Vampire books the other day
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...e/ba-p/1190246
I haven't read the one featured but have added it to the TBR pile as it sounded good. There are a couple of others mentioned in passing in the article one of which is The Passage which is a great book
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:50 AM   #15
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Have you tried the Vampire Files by P.N. Elrod? They're vampire detective stories ala the Dresden Files set in the 1930s or so. She also has a quartet set around the Revolutionary War about a vampire that has a cameo in the Vampire Files.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote