Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 locked up twice.

Twice now My kindle 3 has locked up. hinting the keys seems to do nothing. It must be turned of and reset. Should I be worried something is wrong with it, or perhaps this could be a bug in the firmware?

Last edited by Corran006; 09-02-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
could be a bug, have you called Amazon?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 02:24 AM   #3
TheFluffyOne
TheFluffyOne began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G
I've had three lockups so far in the day I've had the 3G, and have had to do a power-off/reset each time (power slider for ~15-seconds). It happened once when scrolling in the web browser, once after pressing enter to view a full word definition, and once when paging through a PDF.

If I continue to see the problem I'll give Kindle support a call to see what they have to say about it.
TheFluffyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #4
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
yes mine has done it once so far, it did so when I used text to speak, but was fine after a reset and did it without issue next time. Seems to be quite an issue for many kindle owners at present. I think we will see an update very soon, so Im not that worried at this point. I have faith in Amazon and know they will put it right, if its an update or replacement. Im willing to wait a bit and see what happens. I think a lot will freeze at first just due to us trying out all the features, hopefully its not too big an issue
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Was it indexing new books at the time? That seems to make it a bit unstable. As you say, though, I'm sure we'll see a firmware update shortly. Every new device has its "teething troubles".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 03:30 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Mine appeared to freeze twice while browsing the Web. I say appeared because I left the Kindle "frozen" and after 3-5 mins both times it appeared that the button presses caught up and it went back to the Home screen which was the last button pressed. So some people might have tried a reset but I just waited and it righted itself.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:37 AM   #7
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Harry, mine had finished indexing. I deliberately left it alone until it had finished everything, as I knew it could cause issues
Been fine since then, but then I haven't really done much yet
Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 AM   #8
TheFluffyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Was it indexing new books at the time?
In the case of the PDF viewing hang, almost definitely as I had just loaded about 20 PDFs onto it. In the other two cases, not so sure.

I only read about the indexing first thing this morning, so didn't think to check after those occasions it hung yesterday. Will be sure to check that if it happens again.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:25 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I too have found the web browser to be pretty unstable. I think I'll stick with my iPhone for web browsing!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:57 AM   #10
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Mine has locked up and rebooted itself like 7 times in two days. 3 of the times were when I was scrolling through text, highlighting and annotating passages, a couple times were within the webkit-based browser, and two other times were just general ass-hattery on the part of the knidle. I was sitting here at the computer, the kindle open to a kindlefeeder document I had been reading; hadn't used it in 20 minutes or so. I look over, and see the kindle restarting itself!

Go figure. In fact, most of the time, when it restarts, it goes to the boy underneath the tree page, the bar gets like 1/4" and then hangs. Then the screen flashes a couple times, and it reboots just fine that time around.

I'm thinking these were just released with buggy firmware. would have liked to see them test it a lot longer. But they have a great coding team, so I am confident that they'll get us taken care of quickly.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #11
babyd
Addict

mine just froze again while reading my news feed from calibre. Having said that I had read one sample, then 5 news feeds, so it may just have been overloaded with jumping from one thing to another, into the dictionary and out, plus downloading feeds in-between. In this instance I also got the slow page turns for a while before it froze, so I wasn't surprised.

Rebooted now and all is well for now.........still loving this thing!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
TheFluffyOne

Just to resurrect this thread, I thought I'd give a quick update on what has happened over the last week or so.

I contacted Kindle Support, and got the <sarcasm>very helpful</sarcasm> suggestion that I try rebooting the device.

There were numerous freezes and reboots over the following few days, but I decided I'd leave it until this weekend before taking it any further. At this point the issues I had seen were:
  • Random freezes or reboots
  • 3G wasn't working (no signal)
  • Battery life (according to the indicator) seemed worryingly short
Whilst digging through the forum this morning I spotted mention of the new 3.0.1 firmware release, and being a habitual firmware-updater I stuck it on the device straight away. Having given it a bit of a hammering today on reading, web browsing, and dictionary usage, things certainly seem to have improved. It's perhaps a bit early to be sure, but I haven't had a freeze or reboot so far today.

The 3G issue has also gone away, but that could easily just have been a transient issue that was sorted due to the reboot during firmware install. I'm normally on WiFi anyway, and it's a pain having to 'forget' the WiFi details to test it when I'm at home.

So, just battery life to figure out. I suspect it's just the usual lower battery life during the first few charges, but we'll see how things go over the next few weeks...
Old 09-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Mine appeared to freeze twice while browsing the Web. I say appeared because I left the Kindle "frozen" and after 3-5 mins both times it appeared that the button presses caught up and it went back to the Home screen which was the last button pressed. So some people might have tried a reset but I just waited and it righted itself.
Some pages do a lot of behind the screens javascript processing. We hardly notice it on desktop browsing, but I suspect it's bringing the Kindle to its knees. At least that's what I suspect is going on with browser freezing.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote