Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Anything against Kindle 2 ?

After the new price drop I'm tempted to give my PRS-600 to my wife (who does not have an eReader yet and seems less annoyed than me by the nasty glare of the 600) and buy a Kindle 2.
I know all the bright sides of this device, and my finger is one inch from the "Buy it" button.
Any warning or dark side of the K2 I should be aware of ?
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
I hate the size. Real keyboard makes it seem too bulky for my taste.

Also, it still offers nothing that I can think of over the cheaper Nook Wifi, aside from Amazon's deal-with-the-devil ebook store.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
adamas
adamas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordcrasher View Post
After the new price drop I'm tempted to give my PRS-600 to my wife (who does not have an eReader yet and seems less annoyed than me by the nasty glare of the 600) and buy a Kindle 2.
I know all the bright sides of this device, and my finger is one inch from the "Buy it" button.
Any warning or dark side of the K2 I should be aware of ?
For me: small screen, inability to read pdfs without prior conversion.
adamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

at $189 I think the Kindle 2 an incredible buy. Sure, you can save $40 and get the wifi only nook but it is the 3G that I feel makes the kindle a kindle.
I had a K2 for almost 2 years before getting the DX and loved every minute
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamas View Post
For me: small screen, inability to read pdfs without prior conversion.
The same can be said about just about every 6" e-Ink reader though
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Thanks guys. The size is not an issue, as I'm focused on 6" screens, thatt's the perfect size for me.
Pdf are not a big issue, as I won't use it to read tech docs or manuals, I read almost exclusively paperbacks.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
The only thing I've never liked about my K2 is being locked into the Amazon ebook format. Other than that, reading on it is awesome.
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa View Post
The only thing I've never liked about my K2 is being locked into the Amazon ebook format. Other than that, reading on it is awesome.
You can use anything formatted as mobi as long as it does not have DRM
Old 06-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post

Also, it still offers nothing that I can think of over the cheaper Nook Wifi, aside from Amazon's deal-with-the-devil ebook store.
there are many other resources, see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa View Post
you're NOT! many other places are available for acquiring reading material;

smashwords, baen books, some libraries, the darknet
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
lovesangelrn
lovesangelrn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I guess probably the biggest downside people find is the default "screensavers" and font are not customizable....however, you can do what alot of us do and "hack" it to make it more custom.

Honestly though, you do have a 30 day trial period. So just hit that "buy" button and give the Kindle a spin. If you find any "downsides" that you just can't live with, you can always send it back (sending stuff back to Amazon is pretty easy). But I bet you keep it, and love it.....just like the rest of us, lol
lovesangelrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #11
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Now that the major issue of folders or "collections" has been fixed with the 2.5.2 patch, I don't have much to complain about.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 AM   #12
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)
NogDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
If you want a book reader, you can't go far wrong with a K2. If you want a multi-featured Internet device, no, and it's grayscale screen and sub-par PDF support makes it less useful for reading certain types of things (technical books with lots of drawings/graphs, color photos/maps, complex page layouts, etc.); but I've had mine for over a year, read probably an average of 2-3 hours a day on it, and love it.
NogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:46 AM   #13
Wordcrasher
Addict

Done!
Five minutes ago I hit the button ! Now I'll wait....
Old 06-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #14
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
Wow, really? To demonstrate the size, I put an ever-bulky one dollar bill next to a five dollar bill on top of the Kindle 2:

http://yfrog.com/af8fgj

(Don't know why the picture itself wouldn't post. It must be the bulk.)

Last edited by HaggisMacJedi; 06-24-2010 at 11:18 AM.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesangelrn View Post
I guess probably the biggest downside people find is the default "screensavers" and font are not customizable....however, you can do what alot of us do and "hack" it to make it more custom.

Honestly though, you do have a 30 day trial period. So just hit that "buy" button and give the Kindle a spin. If you find any "downsides" that you just can't live with, you can always send it back (sending stuff back to Amazon is pretty easy). But I bet you keep it, and love it.....just like the rest of us, lol
seriously. how much time we spend looking at the screen saver? I spend my time reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordcrasher View Post
Done!
Five minutes ago I hit the button ! Now I'll wait....
CONGRATS!!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote