Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
Getting purchased books from Sony Library to Calibre

Is there a way to take a book that I purchased from the Sony Bookstore and import it to Calibre, so that I can edit the metadata and have it in the correct order in my collections?

If I try and import it into Calibre from my computer, Calibre can't read any of the metadata information. And if I try and send it to my reader anyway, it says it can't read the source format... but it also won't convert the file to any other format.

I guess I'm assuming that the file has some sort of DRM? If so, is there a way to edit it in the Sony Library Software so that it shows up in the right collection in the right order?

Thanks!
*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Angie* View Post
Is there a way to take a book that I purchased from the Sony Bookstore and import it to Calibre...
Yes. But for that you would have to remove the DRM.
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
For DRM'd books I tend to edit the book's metadata in the Calibre/device window.

SO allow SonyLibrary *spit* to add the book to your device. Then close SL. Open calibre. It should see the devive. If you click on it you'll see all the books on your reader (not your library). You can then edit normally.

It's worked for so far with ADE stuff. I'm non-US so can't use the Sony store fortunetly.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Hi Angie

Laurentiu is right, in order to do much with it in Calibre besides simple organization you would need to remove the DRM from it. With that being said though as far as I know the only way to get books to remain in a certain order is to use the Sony software. Once you put them in a collection in the software you can load them to your reader and they'll show up in order in the collection.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
I do not use Sony Library for anything. Editing metadata in Calibre allows one to specify a series name, and the number of the book in that series. Calibre then displays the books in that order.
When transferring the books to the reader, the books initially appear in a collection with that same order, if sort by order is selected on the reader. However, I've found that if I have transferred an incomplete series, missing a book, then add try to add it later, say number 3 from a group of five, it appears at the end of the list on the reader. So it seems like the reader actually displays the books in the order they were loaded, instead of the order of the series.
In the example I cited, in order to get the books in the actual series order on the reader, I delete the whole series of books from the reader, and then reload all, including book 3, from Calibre again. It's a hassle, and shouldn't be necessary, but it doesn't take long, and is the only way I've found to reorder the books on my reader when I've added an intermediary series book.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentiu View Post
I was afraid of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony_fox View Post
For DRM'd books I tend to edit the book's metadata in the Calibre/device window.

SO allow SonyLibrary *spit* to add the book to your device. Then close SL. Open calibre. It should see the devive. If you click on it you'll see all the books on your reader (not your library). You can then edit normally.

It's worked for so far with ADE stuff. I'm non-US so can't use the Sony store fortunetly.
That doesn't work, as far as getting them in correct collections. I can change the title & author, but I can't add the series/collection information, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Hi Angie

Laurentiu is right, in order to do much with it in Calibre besides simple organization you would need to remove the DRM from it. With that being said though as far as I know the only way to get books to remain in a certain order is to use the Sony software. Once you put them in a collection in the software you can load them to your reader and they'll show up in order in the collection.
Thanks for the info. At this point, I can't see me switching over to the Sony Library as my primary organizer. This is the first time I've used it (I had a gift cert to the Sony ebook store), and it's slow and cumbersome and I just don't like it nearly as much as I love Calibre. I guess I'll just have to overcome my OCD enough to live with a book or two out of order *shudder* LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJim View Post
I do not use Sony Library for anything. Editing metadata in Calibre allows one to specify a series name, and the number of the book in that series. Calibre then displays the books in that order.
When transferring the books to the reader, the books initially appear in a collection with that same order, if sort by order is selected on the reader. However, I've found that if I have transferred an incomplete series, missing a book, then add try to add it later, say number 3 from a group of five, it appears at the end of the list on the reader. So it seems like the reader actually displays the books in the order they were loaded, instead of the order of the series.
In the example I cited, in order to get the books in the actual series order on the reader, I delete the whole series of books from the reader, and then reload all, including book 3, from Calibre again. It's a hassle, and shouldn't be necessary, but it doesn't take long, and is the only way I've found to reorder the books on my reader when I've added an intermediary series book.
I keep all the books on my reader in collections. Even books that aren't part of a series, I have in a collection together. I prefer to browse for books that way, rather than by author or title.

I appreciate all the input/insight, guys! Thank you!
*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I share your feelings on collections (that's one of the reasons I love calibre so much). One of the things that drives me a bit crazy about the Reader is the way it considers books on the SD card and books in the main memory as two different collections. Since a lot of my collections are split that way, it's annoying. But without collections, browsing by title or author (another peeve: the Reader doesn't respect author-sort) would be a screaming pain, especially since I've got over 2,000 books on the thing.

As to your metadata problem, insert my stock rant about DRM here.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentiu View Post
Quote:
Is there a way to take a book that I purchased from the Sony Bookstore and import it to Calibre...
This is not true, Calibre will manage Sony DRM'd epubs fine. See below.

Quote:
Is there a way to take a book that I purchased from the Sony Bookstore and import it to Calibre, so that I can edit the metadata and have it in the correct order in my collections?
Yes! and no and yes!

Yes
- You treat this book just like any other book. You have to find the .ePub not the .ascm file. Add the .epub file to Calibre.

No
- You can edit the book's entry in Calibre, cover, summary, rating, tags and series so it looks pretty in Calibre. But you can't actually save those metadata changes to the file.

Yes
- When you send the book to your device the tags and series that you assigned to it will be turned into collections when sent to your reader.

Quote:
If I try and import it into Calibre from my computer, Calibre can't read any of the metadata information. And if I try and send it to my reader anyway, it says it can't read the source format...
You must use the .epub file not the .ascm. Calibre can read the metadata from the .epub file without a problem.

You can transfer it to your reader like every other book.

Once you add the right file it will transfer fine to your reader.

Quote:
but it also won't convert the file to any other format. ~~~

I guess I'm assuming that the file has some sort of DRM?
It is DRM'd and because of that you can't convert the file or save updated metadata in the file. But this won't stop you from having your entry in Calibre look good and transferring the file in the proper collection to your reader.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-05-2010 at 08:08 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
With that being said though as far as I know the only way to get books to remain in a certain order is to use the Sony software.
Calibre handles sending Series to your reader in order just fine.

In order for my series to show up in order on my Sony reader I have to do a few things.

1. Remove any books in the series from the reader.
2. Sort the series in the Calibre library by clicking on the series column once the series is in order move on to the next step.
3. Now that the series is in order in the Calibre library, select all the books in the series.
4. Click send to device.

This will send the entire series to your device at one time and they will be in series order on your device.

If later you add a newer book to the series you can send it to the device by itself and it will just be added to the end of the series.

This works every time.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJim View Post
Editing metadata in Calibre allows one to specify a series name, and the number of the book in that series. Calibre then displays the books in that order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Calibre handles sending Series to your reader in order just fine.
You are both correct. However that only applies to a series, what I have done is to tag all of my not read books with "not read" so that calibre creates a collection on my reader when it moves them over. After I copied them to the reader I open the Sony software, which lets me order the books in that collection. It only adds a minute or two to the time involved.

It is easier to do it this way than to create a series, so that if I get a new book and want to insert in the middle of my to read list I don't have to renumber everything after it.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote