Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #23191
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
We've always had the apostrophe on the alphabetical keyboard with our iPads. Swipe up on the key next to the 'm', the one with the period and exclamation point.

That puts an apostrophe instead of the period.

Swipe up on the key with the question mark and you get a quotation mark.

Hope I didn't misunderstand you....
Cool! That works. Thanks, dg. I guess it's true; you learn something every day (and probable even sooner if you read the manual!). I'd always hit the ?123 key to bring up the numeric keyboard which has an apostrophe on it that requires no up swipe.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #23192
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
...It was a few lifetimes ago, but I remember it as if it were yesterday...
She wore blue (fox,) the neanderthals wore gray (wolf.) ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
How romantic.
And for years I was so sure that there was a line in this song that went, "And worst of all (worst of all) Neanderthal Baby, When you say you will (say you will)....":

Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #23193
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Cool! That works. Thanks, dg. I guess it's true; you learn something every day (and probable even sooner if you read the manual!). I'd always hit the ?123 key to bring up the numeric keyboard which has an apostrophe on it that requires no up swipe.
When you are typing though, its so much faster to upswipe than go to another keyboard, isn't it?

I'd tell you to double click the space bar to end a sentence with a period and automatically advance two spaces, but I know you already know that!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #23194
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
When you are typing though, its so much faster to upswipe than go to another keyboard, isn't it?

I'd tell you to double click the space bar to end a sentence with a period and automatically advance two spaces, but I know you already know that!
I didn't, but I see no reason to remember it. I stopped putting two spaces after periods in the early days of word processors when two spaces could make for weird formatting. Things like this could happen on a page:

Quote:
.....“Nor” expresses a negative condition.
.It literally means "and not." You’re obligated
to use it if your sentence expresses a negative
and follows it with another negative condition.
.The old rule is that “nor” is typically used
to follow “neither,” and “or” follows “either.”
Old 11-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #23195
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
friggin' frackin' fuggin' DAMNITTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arragorn locked me out of the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a home inspection like a half hour ago!!!!!!! clients and inspector are there, locksmith on the way.

I don't think this is what my unsettled feeling was about

lol Stitchy!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #23196
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
friggin' frackin' fuggin' DAMNITTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arragorn locked me out of the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a home inspection like a half hour ago!!!!!!! clients and inspector are there, locksmith on the way.

I don't think this is what my unsettled feeling was about

lol Stitchy!
Really? You sound pretty unsettled to me ....

Stella has locked us out on the deck - the door has a lever type handle - when we sit outside she will repeatedly jump up against the door - and occasionally hook the handle on the way down! Click! We have to climb down from the deck, locate the hidden house key, get in the back door, and hunt down the unrepentant feline!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #23197
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Really? You sound pretty unsettled to me ....

Stella has locked us out on the deck - the door has a lever type handle - when we sit outside she will repeatedly jump up against the door - and occasionally hook the handle on the way down! Click! We have to climb down from the deck, locate the hidden house key, get in the back door, and hunt down the unrepentant feline!
This is why, "back in the day," I loved my 1985 Saab (4Dr 900T). Could NOT lock yourself out. Couldn't be done, even by unrepentant pets. Kept that car for 18 years. Not really a 'car person;' I think if they go from A to B, and don't fall apart, that's fine. I have other things that matter more.

Our Storm, the MC, knows how to open doors, but fortuitously, isn't quite tall enough, at least, not in our house. Her "brother" (not really, but) the other MC is plenty tall enough, and then some, but not smart enough, and although he's not totally a loss at "monkey see, monkey do," he's probably not going to catch on to that one. Thank G-D.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #23198
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't, but I see no reason to remember it. I stopped putting two spaces after periods in the early days of word processors when two spaces could make for weird formatting. Things like this could happen on a page:
Understood. However, i learned typing back in the very early 60's and old habits die hard.....They used to come behind you and smack the back of your head if you ended a sentence and DIDN"T make the required two spaces before starting another...I got smacked a lot.....
Old 11-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #23199
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Agreed. And then in grad school my supervisor wanted one only. It was a hard habit to break. Hard indeed.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #23200
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Understood. However, i learned typing back in the very early 60's and old habits die hard.....They used to come behind you and smack the back of your head if you ended a sentence and DIDN"T make the required two spaces before starting another...I got smacked a lot.....
DesertGrandma:

From another old broad out in AZ: I can't stop doing it, either. I still type two spaces after a period. Maybe two-fingerers (that sounds kinda dirty, doesn't it?) can do it, but I simply can't. I've been typing for more than 40+ years, and you don't change the habit of a lifetime by simply thinking, "oh, well, ONE space, not TWO." I even do it when I'm typing in Sigil in CV, when editing text. {el shruggo}. I mean, it won't display, it gets taken out directly, so...so what? Maybe 20-somethings will see it as odd, on the off-chance that it does display, but my eyes don't see it as odd at all, still.

I just regex in Word or whatever. But even here in the forums, I'm always typing two spaces. AFAIK, the forum (bless its heart) cleans them up for me. :-) Probably the HTML part of the display.

Hitch
Old 11-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #23201
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Understood. However, i learned typing back in the very early 60's and old habits die hard....
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Agreed. And then in grad school my supervisor wanted one only. It was a hard habit to break. Hard indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
...I can't stop doing it, either. I still type two spaces after a period....
I learned from my wife that two spaces after a period was the professional and proper way to type and stayed with that until early word processors with their built in limitations that often inadvertently resulted in clumsy sentence structure on the printed page made two spaces impractical and counter-productive. It doesn't matter most of the time with today's computers which style you use, although simple text files can still be problematic.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-15-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #23202
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I learned from my wife that two spaces after a period was the professional and proper way to type and stayed with that until early word processors with their built in limitations that often inadvertently resulted in clumsy sentence structure on the printed page made two spaces impractical and counter-productive. It doesn't matter most of the time with today's computers which style you use, although simple text files can still be problematic.
I still type 2 spaces after a period at the end of a sentence. One just doesn't feel right.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #23203
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Yep, a lot of you old folk who double space also never learned how to set up a tab either. Thank goodness for find and replace. The first thing I do when laying out a book with supplied text is get rid of the double, triple and quadruple spaces.
LOL it's not a typewriter.
It's a wonder you guys don't liquid paper the screen.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #23204
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Yep, a lot of you old folk who double space also never learned how to set up a tab either. Thank goodness for find and replace. The first thing I do when laying out a book with supplied text is get rid of the double, triple and quadruple spaces.
Hey, wannabe?

Not only do we know how to find and use tabs, we also know how to type. We know how to center. We know how to find opening and closing tags. I trained about 50 people on how to use the first "real" Word processor, the IBM OS/6. The people who use spaces? I find that they're YOUNGER, not older. The least-trained typists I see (and I see a LOT of them, given my line of work) either tend to be a) over 70, and can't understand that word-processors don't work like typewriters, so they actually DO tab over for everything, and actually hit "enter" at the end of every line, BEFORE it word-wraps, and b) young people. These people are surpassed only by total technophobes (we've had a few) that actually dictate their books which are subsequently transcribed by typists for them.

It's younger typists, with zero training, who hit "space, space" to start a paragraph, followed by, on the next paragraph, "space space space," followed by a paragraph with 4 spaces, followed by lower-case text. To START the sentence. And don't get me started on where they got the idea that dialogue paragraphs and narrative paragraphs have different types of indentation...that one eludes me completely.

I've seen between 3-4,000 manuscripts over the past 4-5 years, of which 2,000+ we've made into ebooks. The typists who hit "space-space" at the end of a sentence cause the fewest of our clean-up issues.

Hitch
Old 11-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #23205
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Wow....just...wow..

Going to look for my stick now, if I can get my creaky old bones up off this rocking chair.......

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness