Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
bigjim
bigjim began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
DRM Error from InDesign CS6

I am switching over to InDesign CS6 to create EPUB files. Never had an issue with CS5.5 or earlier version.

Just exported my first EPUB and tried opening it in Calibre and it reports that the file is locked with DRM. There is NO DRM on the file. BTW, it opens fine in Sigil.

I exported the same file in CS5.5 and it works fine. Anyone have this issue before?

Thanks

Last edited by bigjim; 06-27-2012 at 07:01 AM. Reason: New info
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
No idea but I do want to mention, if you don't find answers here, you might want to try the indesignsecrets.com message boards. I know there are people there using InDesign to create ePubs.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
It is likely that you have embedded fonts that are encrypted, and Calibre is misidentifying this as a DRM'd book. I would suggest mentioning it on the Calibre boards, since Calibre should be able to detect this and not treat it as a DRM'd book.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
bigjim
bigjim began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
DRM error caused by embedded fonts

On a suggestion by another user, I recreated the file without embedding fonts and the error disappeared.

The odd thing about this was that exporting the same book from InDesign CS5.5 with embedded fonts did not produce the DRM error.

So, the real question is: what is InDesign CS6 doing that produces an error, when CS5.5 doesn't?

Jim
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Calibre is capable of dealing with Adobe's font obfuscation scheme (or at least it was). I suppose it's possible that they (Adobe) slightly altered the manner in which fonts are being encrypted (with CS6) and it's tripping up calibre. Or it's possible there's a bug in CS6. But in either of those cases ... I suspect it would be tripping up some other readers (devices/apps) as well.

Have you tried opening it with Adobe Digital Editions, Nook for PC, or another epub device/app to see if there's an issue there (and that the embedded fonts, in fact, display as expected) when using the CS6 output?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-29-2012 at 07:20 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert