Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Grahamk
Grahamk doesn't litterGrahamk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo One
Strange text characters and missing chapter marks on Kindle 3

Why do I get these ? marks throughout my book?

“?It’?s not like we’?ve murdered someone,”? she hissed when Brynn balked at the proposed plan. “?Anyone in our situation would do the exact same thing.”?

Also some of my books don't have the small chapter marks ( . ) on the % line of book I'm reading along the bottom page of my Kindle 3.

Using Calibre 7.47
Thanks, Graham
Grahamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Needs more info. I'm guessing these problems occur after conversions? What format do you convert from? What format do you convert to (probably MOBI)?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Grahamk

It's like that in the original Epub and in the Mobi conversion. Actually when it's viewed in Calibre the ? marks are solid vertical lines (like this "I" ) instead. But on my Kindle they are ? marks.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
fulltimer
Enthusiast
fulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: K2, K3(3G-WIFI), Fire
I noticed that character in one of my books where a dash should be.

I used the search and replace option in the convert books screen and pasted the odd character in the search regular expression field and put the Dash(-) in the replacement text field, clicked OK and in about 20 seconds all those characters were replaced with dashes.
fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
The book was incorrectly converted when the epub was created. Basically epub requires UTF-8. Odds are that was assumed/configured as the encoding when the original conversion to epub happened. Now that it's epub it's incorrectly encoded.

Your options are to manually fix with a series of search and replace - the ? mark characters are actually other strings that you could potentially search for and replace.

The other option is to guess the original encoding and try to re-convert. Under look and feel in the conversion options there is a box to set the encoding. cp1252 is a popular encoding, so you could try that, but it could be any number of things.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
Grahamk

Ok, thanks. Bad formatting. So can Calibre fix the chapter marker problem?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I'm no Kindle expert, but I believe those depend on creating a TOC during conversion - odds are the epub has no TOC. Check this tutorial and let me know if you have any luck/questions:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122222
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:14 AM   #8
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Just to clarify, the Kindle relies on the NCX file TOC for those chapter marks. Simply having an HTML TOC embedded in the content of the ebook won't be sufficient.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote