Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
bytestorm
bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle (5th)
Unhappy Japanese language setting for Kindle 5, non-touch? (4.1.1)

Hi!
I just bought a kindle for my wife, and it was the 5th generation kindle, without keyboard, and no touch. Surely I did a misstake since I was originally looking to get the paperwhite (since it has japanese language support), but she wanted the regular edition since she didnt like the lit screen of the PW..

well now this one doesnt have japanese language support i just took it for granted since the pw has it..

is there any way i can get the devicelanguage to japanese? and add japanese dictionaries?

i found some post about extracting the sw from PW and uppdate the kindle with but that was for the touch version i belive...

I got sw 4.1.1.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bytestorm; 11-06-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Kindle 5th Ed, not 4 if it would matter..
bytestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
I can't help you about the specific question (don't have a kindle 4), but I think that, if nobody here will be able to help you, you could return it to amazon for free and buy a PW instead, paying the difference (you could try to ask to amazon service)

Last edited by Aeris; 11-05-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
bytestorm
bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.bytestorm is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
I can't help you about the specific question (don't have a kindle 4), but I think that, if nobody here will be able to help you, you could return it to amazon for free and buy a PW instead, paying the difference (you could try to ask to amazon service)
Hi!
hmm its allready opened, and I didnt buy it from amazon directly so i guess i just have to keep it

Well, thanks anyway!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytestorm View Post
Hi!
I just bought a kindle for my wife, and it was the 5th generation kindle, without keyboard, and no touch. Surely I did a misstake since I was originally looking to get the paperwhite (since it has japanese language support), but she wanted the regular edition since she didnt like the lit screen of the PW..

well now this one doesnt have japanese language support i just took it for granted since the pw has it..

is there any way i can get the devicelanguage to japanese? and add japanese dictionaries?

i found some post about extracting the sw from PW and uppdate the kindle with but that was for the touch version i belive...

I got sw 4.1.1.

Thanks in advance!
First thing, the non touch is NOT a fifth gen. Its a 4th gen. The fifth gen are PW1+2 and
KT. Also, unless you are familiar with the process of translating java strings from obfuscated classes and are comfortable aboot putting hours of effort into something that can be blown to bits by an update, you really have no choice but the PW (Touch doesn't have any Japanese, afaik). You could (if I remember correctly) hack the PW into switching off the light.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytestorm View Post
Hi!
hmm its allready opened, and I didnt buy it from amazon directly so i guess i just have to keep it

Well, thanks anyway!
So a bit of experimenting will be called for on your part.

Lucky for you, the K4 (as we know your device here) is quick and easy to de-brick using the KUBRICK CD.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Is there even a Japanese input method available/hackable on the K4?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Erm, not that I know of. AFAIK, the last translation effort on this forum was 5.0.x on the kt. After that, I dunno. It would be a hell of a lot of boring work.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Also, unless you are familiar with the process of translating java strings from obfuscated classes and are comfortable aboot putting hours of effort into something that can be blown to bits by an update, you really have no choice but the PW (Touch doesn't have any Japanese, afaik)
Well, localizing K4 isn't _that_ difficult. All you need is to translate the phrases, the rest is just running few scripts to generate the update bundle.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The only input method available on K4 for all languages is the character selection dialog.
It should have enough space for all the Japanese characters (hiragana or katakana, not kanji).
Old 11-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
aditya3098
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Well, localizing K4 isn't _that_ difficult. All you need is to translate the phrases, the rest is just running few scripts to generate the update bundle.
Well, I guess that would be the case if EVERYTHING was java, like the K4 is. What scripts?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
dsmid has helped localise to a wide variety of languages.

And the project is on github (or something) IIRC, also he has them locally...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
dsmid
Linux devotee

The project was started by Alexey Kharlanov (Sir Alex) for K3.
It was based on replacing the phrases in the bytecode during installation (more exactly in bind-mounted copy of the framework).
I made few nasty Bash scripts to automatize the process and to ease the upgrade when a new FW is released.
Similar method is used for localizing K4 (this time a new resource bundle set is created so that the new locale is just added to the list of available locales). It also involves localizing the character selection dialog.

Last edited by dsmid; 11-06-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
fired the OP the only japanese related dic links etc I could find when he first posted.
And intimated that with - effort - it could be done.

But not without
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #14
bytestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
First thing, the non touch is NOT a fifth gen. Its a 4th gen. The fifth gen are PW1+2 and
KT. Also, unless you are familiar with the process of translating java strings from obfuscated classes and are comfortable aboot putting hours of effort into something that can be blown to bits by an update, you really have no choice but the PW (Touch doesn't have any Japanese, afaik). You could (if I remember correctly) hack the PW into switching off the light.
It IS the 5th gen, non-touch, non-keyboard.

Amazon announced a new version of the regular Kindle and the Kindle Paperwhite on September 6, 2012. The Kindle 5 was released on September 6. (October 1? 2 dates at wiki)
The Kindle Paperwhite was released on October 1, 2012 in the United States.

Check wiki for more info.

Last edited by bytestorm; 11-08-2013 at 01:33 AM. Reason: 2 different releasedates on same wikipage :S
Old 11-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #15
dsmid
Linux devotee

This numbering scheme is also very common here in the Czech Rep but I believe it is wrong.
It was presented by media not by Amazon. Is there any official definition of "generation" ? I doubt it. I believe Wikipedia is also wrong.
Even if you use the release dates and use K4 for KNT-grey, K5 for KNT-black, where is Kindle Touch ? What generation is it ? 4.5 ? It cannot be 4 nor 5, because KT and KNT are very different devices, in fact KT is much more similar to PW (6th gen!) than to KNT. OTOH KNT-grey and KNT-black are almost identical, why should they belong to different generations ?
This scheme is a complete mess, it's like classifying cat and rabbit among the same species just because they are both fury.

Amazon doesn't use any numbers at all, with one important exception: the major version number of firmware.

The firmware major number is 2 for Kindle 2 and DX, 3 for Kindle Keyboard, 4 for all the non-touch keyboard-less Kindles, regardless their colour, 5 for all the touch models: Kindle Touch, PW and PW2.