Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #16
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You should not try and open the epub book from DropBox itself on the iPad as Dropbox does not (yet anyway) know how to find what app can open that file type.

Calibre2opds catalogs have been used with great success for libraries held in the 'Public' folder under Dropbox,. If you do this you have two options:
- Use an OPDS aware ebook reader app with XML version of the Calibre2opds catalog. Examples of such OPDS aware reading apps being Quickreader and Stanza.
- Use Safari in conjunction with the HTML version of the Calibre2opds catalogs. This should work for any reading app (e.g. iBooks) that registers itself as being capable of hanlong that file type.

Both methods are described in Using calibre2opds catalogs section of the documentation. If you find the documentation unclear then mention where and an attempt can be made to clarify that area.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #17
ianrip
ianrip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad (4.2)-iPhone 3gs(4.0.1)
Hi is Calibre2OPDS a separate entity and, is it required for syncing with the web ?
ianrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrip View Post
Hi is Calibre2OPDS a separate entity
Yes it is a separate entity

Quote:
is it required for syncing with the web ?
I'm not sure what you mean by "syncing with the web."
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:19 AM   #19
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi is Calibre2OPDS a separate entity and, is it required for syncing with the web ?
You might want to read this comparison between calibre2opds and the Calibre Content server.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:15 AM   #20
ianrip

I can open epub using dropbox on ipad, also Sugarsync using Safari, but using safari is slow and not what i want to use sugarsync app
1st photo is dropbox
2-3 photo sugar sync with Safari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	471
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	66090   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.PNG
Views:	491
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	66091   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.PNG
Views:	434
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	66092  
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #21
itimpi
Wizard

Note that if using an OPDS compatible reader then you can use the XML version of the catalog and open it directly in the reader. Of the readers you have installed, Stanza has this capability and Bluefire is meant to be getting it shortly. Another OPDS compatible reader is Quickreader.

I mention this as where OPDs is supported it provides a much smoother integration between the reader and your ebook library.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #22
ianrip

I know I can use the readers, but my question was really to do with using Sugarsync, the same way as i use dropbox, should I make a new topic in another forum?
Old 02-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #23
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
I know I can use the readers, but my question was really to do with using Sugarsync, the same way as i use dropbox, should I make a new topic in another forum?
Fair enough.

However if the question is why does SugarSync not provide an option to specify an app to open the epub file, then this is a Sugarsync issue (not a calibre2opds) one, and the question belongs in the Sugarsync forums.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #24
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Has anybody made any progress with this?

I had been using Dropbox and had my iphone set up successfully to see the public link of my OPDS _catlog.xml file. I have now moved to using Sugarsync to gain more free space (5gb) - this has been very successful with Calibre, but I have not been able to set up my iphone to see the OPDS catalog. I can see the .xml file in My Magic Briefcase. However, the public link does not seem to provide a typical pathway:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D362665_6114551_862166

Has anybody managed to set up an OPDS catalog with Sugarsync and been able to read it on their ithing?
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #25
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
just curious, has anyone tried Box.net, I have it, you get 5 gigs free, soon they will have the Google apps and they have an iPad App.

I have started using it for work and part of my Calibre Library which I can access from the iPad, I have not read up enough yet but seem to be a good option for someone looking for a free altenative.

Last edited by Maggie-Me; 07-07-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #26
itimpi
Wizard

The key requirement to using any of the Cloud based solutions with calibre2opds is that they give you a way of getting a URL to a base folder (the calibre library and then allow you access all files/folders contained within that as relative URL's.

Dropbox meets that requirement. SugarSync (at the moment) does not. I do not know about box.net - could not decide from a quick skim through the web site.