Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
shorshe
Enthusiast
shorshe began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
identify kf-8 files

Hi all!

Is there an easy way to determine if an existing mobi-file is KF-8 in windows?
I know about mobiunpack, but is there an easier (newbie safe) way?

Greetings
Georg
shorshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Use the Fire emulator in the (free, downloadable) KIndle Previewer?

A mobi file as built online through the KIndle Direct Publishing platform (and I think also using Kindlegen or Kindle Previewer) actually contains two files, one for KF8 devices and the other for KF7. (KF8 is being extended to earlier devices through firmware updates, although the results aren't always the same.) When a customer directs a book to his device or app, the server sends him the correct version for that device/app.

But perhaps I misunderstand your question?
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
shorshe
Enthusiast
shorshe began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks for your answer. But it's not what i'm looking for. Let me elaborate.

We get a lot of mobi-files from our freelancers, some of them not kf-8. It would be great, if there was a tool which could determine with one klick, if a file is kf-8 or not.

Thanks
shorshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@shorshe: You could whip up a quick tool that checks the headers for the mobi version, based on any of the stuff available here (calibre, mobi unpack, dump mobi header...).

(Or, hell, if you're lazy, just parse the output of the dump mobi header script).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote