Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: November 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
This Perfect Day by Ira Levin 6 8.45%
Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi 6 8.45%
Heaven by Jack Cohen and Ian Stewart 3 4.23%
Hyperion by Dan Simmons 11 15.49%
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley 6 8.45%
Dune by Frank Herbert 6 8.45%
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick 9 12.68%
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card 8 11.27%
A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller 12 16.90%
Halting State by Charles Stross 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #91
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmmmm..... that must mean it's in the lead, eh?

No, that means the mobipocket link is no longer active.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #92
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
http://ebooks.ebookmall.com/title/ca...ler-ebooks.htm

That link does work. Maybe the link was botched when copied over.
Thanks, Jon. I'll put that link in.

For some reason, when I was checking the links, the one in the first post not only didn't work, but a Mobipocket search of the eBookMall site returned no results.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-25-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Extraneous letter (typo)
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So once I'm up tomorrow and my day has started, it won't be long until the vote ends. Let's hope the best book wins. That would be the best book left of the books left after you take out all the ones I've already read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #94
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Oh, the antci... pation.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #95
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Oh, the antci... pation.
I'm shivering with it!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #96
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I've been enjoying this, but a period of three or even four days would be better than five IMO.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #97
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
GA's comment has brought a question to mind....

Out of pure curiosity: Is there a way to get the data on the avg. number of votes per day?

Although I've had times in the past where the voting process seemed particularly long, I also recognize that we want to give ample opportunity for people to vote. Other than the last minute (I want to push "this" book over the edge) voting, when do most people vote? I don't think I've gone past day 2, maybe day 3 at the most.

Last edited by Nyssa; 10-25-2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Removed extra quotation mark.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #98
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
...Out of pure curiosity: Is there a way to get the data on the avg. number of votes per day?...
Not unless you kept a record of the number of votes each day.

At this time, there are 66 votes. As the poll closes tomorrow morning, I doubt that anyone else will vote, although if some do it certainly won't be the first time that's happened.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #99
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
My impression over the past two years is that most votes are clear by day 3. Perhaps because they are clear, few people vote on days 4 and 5.

Now that we have a secret ballot, perhaps there will be more votes on day 5 than in the past. I agree with Tom that the group should feel that it had ample opportunity to vote.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #100
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
GA's comment has brought a question to mind....

Out of pure curiosity: Is there a way to get the data on the avg. number of votes per day?

Although I've had times in the past where the voting process seemed particularly long, I also recognize that we want to give ample opportunity for people to vote. Other than the last minute (I want to push "this" book over the edge) voting, when do most people vote? I don't think I've gone past day 2, maybe day 3 at the most.
Some people only have access to a computer during the week. Some people can't get online except during the weekend. We figured 5 days that includes a weekend and weekdays would allow both folks with limited access a chance to vote.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #101
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I was surprised to find the majority of the books are Geo locked is it my imagination or does that seem to happen more on sci-fi/fantasy books than any of the other genres? I'm able to get around this fairly easily but it is still rather frustrating
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #102
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I was surprised to find the majority of the books are Geo locked is it my imagination or does that seem to happen more on sci-fi/fantasy books than any of the other genres? I'm able to get around this fairly easily but it is still rather frustrating
I'm having more luck here - although I can buy from Amazon. I'm guessing with a Sony you don't buy from Amazon very often.

I can't find This Perfect Day, Fuzzy Nation or Heaven for Australians in Amazon though.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #103
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I'm having more luck here - although I can buy from Amazon. I'm guessing with a Sony you don't buy from Amazon very often.

I can't find This Perfect Day, Fuzzy Nation or Heaven for Australians in Amazon though.
I buy from everywhere except Itunes I'm a big believer in setting books free
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #104
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Not unless you kept a record of the number of votes each day.

At this time, there are 66 votes. As the poll closes tomorrow morning, I doubt that anyone else will vote, although if some do it certainly won't be the first time that's happened.
I agree with you. Usually by this point most votes are in, except maybe in particularly tight races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
My impression over the past two years is that most votes are clear by day 3. Perhaps because they are clear, few people vote on days 4 and 5.

Now that we have a secret ballot, perhaps there will be more votes on day 5 than in the past. I agree with Tom that the group should feel that it had ample opportunity to vote.
Interesting. I would think people would vote sooner in a secret ballet as there is no reason to"wait and see", in order to help a specific book over the finish line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Some people only have access to a computer during the week. Some people can't get online except during the weekend. We figured 5 days that includes a weekend and weekdays would allow both folks with limited access a chance to vote.

BOb
Makes perfectly good sense to me. Like I said in my post, I was just curious. I do understand that we want to give everyone who is interested in participating an opportunity to cast their vote.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #105
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
...Usually by this point most votes are in, except maybe in particularly tight races....
One hour to go, and there have been 4 more votes since I posted that information. The count not stands at 70.