Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 12-17-2002, 02:32 AM   #1
earthling
earthling began at the beginning.

Device: PalmOne Zire 71
Hi All,

I am reposting this plea in this support forum; earlier I posted it in 'Web Channels: Small Talk' by mistake...

Happy to discover this forum. I am an AvantGo user who is very aware of its limitations. Basically AvantGo works best with the 'official' subscriptions available at My AvantGo; configuring a new channel of one's own choosing doesn't work very well.

I like the way HTML documents seem to look on iSilo, and the fact that iSilo docs on Memoware are marginally smaller than the Doc format doesan't hurt, either.

BUT: I don't have a clue about how to use iSilo. Any help or guidance would be welcome. I mean it was easy to save a web page on my hard drive and then load it onto my Palm m130 using iSiloX, but surely it goes beyond that?

I just have the 8MB on my Palm m130 RAM; no cards yet! Am I wrong to opt for iSilo over AvantGo. Can I use iSilo like the easy to use AvantGo conduit (automatic updating of channels, etc.)?

It's all a bit confusing...

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:27 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Smile

Glad to hear that you like iSilo. Using iSilo is actually quite easy. iSilo comes with the desktop tool iSiloX that you use to convert html or txt files. iSiloX can also directly download html online; that is where my Web Channel Collection (WCC) comes into play with over 500 mobile channels that you can convert using iSiloX.

Since you have the m130, I would suggest that you first download the RAM version of WCC. There are instruction on my main page (in the mobile section) on how to set up WCC with iSiloX. You can choose which channels to download and then have them install *directly* to your Palm (no need to save on the harddrive first) with the next hotsync.

You can use iSilo also for automatic updates; it is not as easy (yet) and some people have posted a solution in this forum using the Windows Scheduler.

Hope that helps!
Advert
Old 12-17-2002, 06:56 AM   #3
earthling
earthling began at the beginning.

Device: PalmOne Zire 71
Thanks, Alex!
Old 12-17-2002, 04:18 PM   #4
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Greetings earthling.

Here's the link to the Windows Scheduler that Alexander mentioned.

It's surprisingly easy. Since converting to the Church of Turcic, I've become an iSilo addict and dropped Avantgo like a a scorned lover.

Feel free to give a shout out if you need help.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:24 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Heh, someone paid attention to the user levels Hope you are not offended Sunshine
Advert
Old 12-17-2002, 08:54 PM   #6
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
No worries.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:51 AM   #7
saw9000
Zealot
saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Myself, I particularly liked the user levels and the numeral-like icon system you were using before the software upgrade. Any chance of getting the icons back? The whole system has been a refreshing change from the usual forum, with five stars/etc..
Scott
Old 12-23-2002, 10:17 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Yep, there is going to be a not-to-be-taken-too-serious user-rating system. Am currently still working on a better mobile forum version.