Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Trester
Trester began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
EPUB to RTF Conversion Gone Bad

I just got a book (EPUB) from KOBO that I'm trying to convert to RTF.

When I view the book in Calibre, the formatting is perfect. When I convert and load the RTF file into WORD, carriage returns have been deleted and the paragraphs run together. If there are multiple CR's (empty lines) then the CR is retained by the Calibre conversion.

I have done hundreds of the EPUB to RTF conversions and have not seen this problem before. Am I missing something, any ideas?

I tried converting to PDF, and the correct format is made. I haven't tried converting to text because I would really like to retain the formats.

Thanks for any help
Trester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
What OS are you using and what other tools do you have?

Select the book in Calibre and right click and choose "Tweak Epub" or just use the "T" key.
Copy the HTML files to another folder and use a word processor that can handle HTML files (like Word) to combine the files and convert them to RTF. Then re-import to Calibre and merge files.

Basically, if you can't get Calibre to convert it properly try other software until you find what works.

Calibre is a great swiss army knife but some files just don't convert well.

Happy Wednesday
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Most likely your EPUB is differentiating paragraphs using div tags. The RTF output does not support this. Paragraphs must be within p tags for RTF output.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Trester

This may be my perception only, but the problem seems to have gotten much worse as I have upgraded versions of Calibre. So many of the EPUB's that I convert to RTF do not end the paragraph where it should when converted. So I am ending up with a document that has a lot of run-on paragraphs.

For the problem EPUBS, I am using an online converter (http://www.2epub.com/) and the conversions are perfect.

I download from a lot of different sources, so it is possible that the books I am having problems with are from the same source. But still, it doesn't make sense that Calibre can't convert these files.

Any thoughts?
Anyone know of a free EPUB converter that can be downloaded?
Thanks
Old 03-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
Trester

An FYI.
Using Calibre, I converted some of the problem files to MOBI, and then to RTF. The conversions were perfect.
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

MOBI is a simplier format than EPUB. That tells me there is something unnecessary in the EPUB file that is tripping up the conversion that is being removed during the intermediate conversion to MOBI.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Trester

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
MOBI is a simplier format than EPUB. That tells me there is something unnecessary in the EPUB file that is tripping up the conversion that is being removed during the intermediate conversion to MOBI.
Thanks for the quick response.

Since all of these books are original Retail format, it doesn't make sense that I am the only one experiencing this. Yet I can not find any other posts on this topic.

Since both Calibre (converting EPUB to MOBI to RTF) and (www.2epub.com) can do the conversion correctly, doesn't it indicate that the character(s) that are causing the problem, are consistent and can be handled correctly?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
user_none

Open a ticket at http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com and attach a file displaying the behavior. It will be looked into being fixed. No guarentees when, RTF is a low priority format.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
Trester

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Open a ticket at http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com and attach a file displaying the behavior. It will be looked into being fixed. No guarentees when, RTF is a low priority format.
Thank You!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trester View Post
Since all of these books are original Retail format, it doesn't make sense that I am the only one experiencing this. Yet I can not find any other posts on this topic.
Doesn't surprise me. EPub is the most common ebook format, so not many people would need to convert from that to anything else. I believe most people convert to ePub.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote