Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
are you participating in the 9.99 boycott?

do you think it is helping? is there anyway to find out when/if these titles are dropping in price? I know one of the arguments has been along the lines of; "sure keep the ebook price high when it is just released, but drop it when the paperback comes out." I was just looking at the "free and inexpensive..." thread that koland keeps for us and looking at the new release by Reich. it is set as a pre-order ebook price for $14.01, and the hardcover is $15.57 (odd prices, but what the hey).

my question is, are we sending mixed signals? isn't it ok for the initial release price to be a little up there to give the author some props? aren't we getting what we asked for? release the ebook simultaneously with the hardback release, keep the price a little high until the paperback comes out...

thoughts? comments?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
A_J_Lath
Zealot
A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Computer
Given that an ebook version requires significantly less in terms of overheads, I have to confess that I've been surprised by the prices charged by those from major publishers (the words 'rip' and 'off' immediately spring to mind!) Most indie authors, however, supply their ebooks free or at a very low cost.
A_J_Lath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
No boycott here. I'm continuing to do what I always have and that's to decide on a book by book basis if the asking price is worth it to me and buying or not buying accordingly.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Sort of.

I have purchased less than 20 ebooks from Amazon in the 16 months I've had a Kindle. Given that I read a book every two to three days on average that is a substantial loss for them.

Cost and DRM have kept me from even considering purchasing Amazon ebooks. If there is a book I absolutely have to have I will purchase the paper version rather than the ebook version since with the paper version I keep my ownership rights to sell or loan it to others and do not have to worry about being harnessed to a single device.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Not really a new boycott, however, I've never spent more that 9.99 for an e-book and never will. Ever since agency and huge price increases therein contained, I've looked to less mainstream authors and found plenty who write some really good books. I'm actually reading more now and spending less money.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I don't boycott but I am fairly price sensitive.
Most newer fiction just isn't all that special to motivate me to spend over $10. Even NYT Bestsellers, most of these books will barely be a dim memory 5 years from now. They are one and put it away reads. They'll probably sell me 3 to 4 books a year in that range. Actually it isn't even the $13 new releases that disgust me all that much - it is the $9 books that are over a decade (or more) old that I find ridiculously priced.

I mostly buy at $5 to $7 range. Thousands and thousands of excellent books available at those prices and plenty of authors and publishers glad to get my money.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Yes - I keep a list of books that are currently over $10 - and check them monthly. Patience has paid off - I've been picking them up slowly but cheaply. Last gem was "Julian Comstock" - dropped from $14.99 to $8.99 in a couple of months.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
If there is a book I absolutely have to have I will purchase the paper version rather than the ebook version since with the paper version I keep my ownership rights to sell or loan it to others and do not have to worry about being harnessed to a single device.
That is precisely what the cartel is hoping we will do. I will not.

I purchase far fewer DRM-infected books now and none over $9.99. And my local library has been seeing more of me lately. Publishers, authors, and retailers lose.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I won't pay $9.99 for an ebook I know is in paperback at a lower price. I don't normally buy hardcover books because of the prices, I wait for the paperback. Or pick up the hardcover when they discount the excess stock. I don't mind waiting for prices to go down, but it's not happening. I put ebooks I want but are too expensive on my wish list and watch them. One actually went up in price, the rest are unchanged despite paperback release.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
No, I'm not participating and no, I don't think it's working. A boycott only works if you have a critical mass, and there's no sign of that.

I am also pretty price sensitive, but paying $12.99 for a new release where the hardback is $18 or $19 is something I'm occasionally willing to do. OTOH, nothing irritates me more than a backlist title that has a $6.99 paperback available and the ebook has a higher price.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I bought a few from Amazon, though to be truthful most have been under $9.99. My biggest problem is that the books *I'm* most interested in just aren't available in ebook format at any price and so most of my purchases the past few months have all been paper.

Beginning to think I should start investigating the darknet.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
No, I'm not participating and no, I don't think it's working. A boycott only works if you have a critical mass, and there's no sign of that.
Speaking as a mere observer, to what sign would you be referring? I would like to see comparative results of actual ebook sales prior and post-agency model pricing. It might prove to be interesting.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I don't boycott but I am fairly price sensitive.
Most newer fiction just isn't all that special to motivate me to spend over $10. Even NYT Bestsellers, most of these books will barely be a dim memory 5 years from now. They are one and put it away reads. They'll probably sell me 3 to 4 books a year in that range. Actually it isn't even the $13 new releases that disgust me all that much - it is the $9 books that are over a decade (or more) old that I find ridiculously priced.

I mostly buy at $5 to $7 range. Thousands and thousands of excellent books available at those prices and plenty of authors and publishers glad to get my money.
I never conciously thought that the 5-7 was my price range, but I guess now that you point it out I tend to buy more there than the 9.99. those have to be pretty special or eagerly awaited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Yes - I keep a list of books that are currently over $10 - and check them monthly. Patience has paid off - I've been picking them up slowly but cheaply. Last gem was "Julian Comstock" - dropped from $14.99 to $8.99 in a couple of months.
that's good to know. I hadn't bothered to keep a list

Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
I won't pay $9.99 for an ebook I know is in paperback at a lower price. I don't normally buy hardcover books because of the prices, I wait for the paperback. Or pick up the hardcover when they discount the excess stock. I don't mind waiting for prices to go down, but it's not happening. I put ebooks I want but are too expensive on my wish list and watch them. One actually went up in price, the rest are unchanged despite paperback release.
I need to start doing that... wishlisting the too expensive ones and re-visiting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post

I am also pretty price sensitive, but paying $12.99 for a new release where the hardback is $18 or $19 is something I'm occasionally willing to do. OTOH, nothing irritates me more than a backlist title that has a $6.99 paperback available and the ebook has a higher price.
it's called a grassroots movement. that's why it is discussed at length here and on other forums and the tags hit the books that ARE too high. I wish there was a way we could get darknet tallies to show the publishers how many people they have forced away

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I bought a few from Amazon, though to be truthful most have been under $9.99. My biggest problem is that the books *I'm* most interested in just aren't available in ebook format at any price and so most of my purchases the past few months have all been paper.

Beginning to think I should start investigating the darknet.
I've taken a stroll on the darkside a couple of times. it can be both refreshing and exciting as well as dissapointing and frustrating
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
There used to be a site or two that would notify you automatically when the price reached whatever you specified. Are those sites still around? I can't remember any of the names.

UPDATE: Just found an old email notification from Zoolert.com. They have a section called KindleMart. It's not a perfect solution since some books show up as unavailable when they are most definitely available (just tried one). But it's worked for me in the past. :-)

Last edited by SpiderMatt; 06-16-2010 at 02:55 PM.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #15
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
I still find myself buying books, but if they are over $10 or priced higher than the paperback...I get really annoyed and try hard to resist buying it....but if it is a book I am really interested in then I buy it anyway.

I want to fight and contribute to the movement by boycotting, but I have two problems with it. The first is I have to deny myself and I am awful at that. The second is that I strongly suspect most publishers WANT ebook boycotts. I think they want to delay the mass acceptance of ebooks as long as possible to retain their crumbling paper book empires. The longer it takes to really catch on, the longer they have before they face RIAA and MPA levels of piracy.

I think the one that annoys me the most though is when the paper book is cheaper than the ebook. I didn't know how much I preferred ebook till I started reading a thick hard cover book and found myself switching to the ebook half way through.
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote