Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
ebookread
Enthusiast
ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: PRS-T2, PRS-T3
Towelroot possible for T3?

Hi, do any of you Coders see a possibility to get towelroot to run on my T3?
It certainly won't download onto my T3, but maybe someone is willing to make it work on the T3 Reader?
Actually i'm not even sure what else has to be done after routing. I guess as with T2 there should be Zeamlauncher or something similar to get Apss installed etc.
I've been waiting for a T3 root anxiously and would give it a try on my T3.

Last edited by ebookread; 06-18-2014 at 05:10 PM.
ebookread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Mechanical
Mechanical began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Nook Simple Touch
The exploit itself is a bug in the Linux kernel so it will most likely work on the device, however the problem is getting it to execute. Thus far the towelroot exploit is an application you run, so you'll need to install the apk first. Since this isn't possible on the Sony readers the exploit itself needs to be ran in some other way.

So first off the source code for the exploit needs to be released. All we know is that it is using the CVE-2014-3153 bug in the Linux kernel. If he doesn't release the source, someone needs to make the exploit all over again so that it can be modified to be executed in some other matter as an apk certainly isn't going to do it. Then all we need is some way to execute it on the device, which isn't easy considering USB debugging is turned off, adb is turned off, recovery and all other types of communication with the shell is turned off requiring some way for the reader to execute the script with the exploit in some way.

So will the exploit work? Yes. Will it be easy to implement on the PRS-T1, T2 or T3? No.
Mechanical is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2014, 12:08 AM   #3
ebookread
Enthusiast
ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Thx for the great explanation, now i have learned some things from you. I hope Geohot will publish the source code(but i don't know if that would reduce his fame)and we can get a proper root for this device and maybe others too. Although as i have read the bug has already been closed in different distributions. Actually i am willing to pay the Coder of a working root a six pack of beer via paypal.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
Yokowa
Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: SONY PRS-T1 T3
The key issue is how to execute a third-party app. Hacking t3 solely by software/firmware is very hard now. I think the first step is firmware dump by opening the device.

Last edited by Yokowa; 06-20-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Yokowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
ebookread
Enthusiast

I thought it would of been easier with this new root possibility. I guess for a firmware dump you'd need soldering skills and some aparatus to read out the information. Sorry i'm an absolut noob so i think root for T3 won't be around the corner
Advert