Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2006, 09:45 AM   #16
eyestrain
eyestrain began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Voyage
I was under the impression that the original poster had the problem with DRM'd content downloaded from the sony store. Of course RTF and plaintext work. I think this is definitely an issue worth pursuing, I've had a look around at what they are offering and would also like to purchase some of the titles on offer, but *not* if the sizes and formatting are inconsistent.

I can't believe that a company can build and market a device like this and then not have the foresight to have the content ready for market. It destroys confidence in the product and cripples any hope of a further revenue stream from book sales.

sort it out sony, you dimwits.
eyestrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:26 AM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, eyestrain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyestrain
I can't believe that a company can build and market a device like this and then not have the foresight to have the content ready for market. It destroys confidence in the product and cripples any hope of a further revenue stream from book sales.

sort it out sony, you dimwits.
It's not entirely up to Sony, as they don't have full control of the content -- the content owners do, in this case that mostly means the publishers. I think they've been fussing with them about getting the fonts adjusted appropriately, which would mean that it's not really a matter of Sony not asking, but rather the pubs not giving.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2006, 10:46 AM   #18
eyestrain

Thanks for the welcome NatCh.

I think it is their responsibility though, if they are packaging the content in a format specifically for a device they manufacture, and then profiting from the sale of that content. It's passing the buck to say its the publishers responsibility, surely sony convert the source data into the sony reader format in much the same way we have to, isn't that the stage you have to make sure that the fonts are in line with the rest of your generated files? Or is it that the process is completely automated, with no possibility of intervention?

You are never going to get different suppliers to adhere to one format, in practice it just doesn't work that way.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's always good to have new folks join the MR community.

Quote:
I think it is their responsibility though, if they are packaging the content in a format specifically for a device they manufacture, and then profiting from the sale of that content. It's passing the buck to say its the publishers responsibility, surely sony convert the source data into the sony reader format in much the same way we have to, isn't that the stage you have to make sure that the fonts are in line with the rest of your generated files? Or is it that the process is completely automated, with no possibility of intervention?

You are never going to get different suppliers to adhere to one format, in practice it just doesn't work that way.
I don't know the details of the processing (wouldn't that be nice? ) but I would think it's pretty automated. They started with over 10k titles, and have added about 1k in the last 2.5 months -- that would be a really sucky job to do manually, and we're still talking about a relatively low volume of titles there.

<Wild Speculations>

I suspect it may even be a matter of perhaps having access but not authority. Keep in mind that whoever owns the content has a lot of control over it, legally speaking. Then there's the fact that the pubs don't have to let Sony sell their content, so that weakens Sony's position to go making demands or arbitrarily changing the content in any fashion (and I'm not sure that the stupid DMCA might not come down against making even so trivial a change as the font size ). The pubs can just take their respective balls and go home if they want to.

Sure, the rights to make such adjustments could have been written into the relevant agreements, but if they weren't (for whatever reason) then they weren't.

Keep in mind too, that the Pubs might actually be opposed to changing the font size much, since it might disrupt all their work getting the layouts the way they wanted them.

</Wild Speculations>

I'm not trying to defend Sony's actions, understand -- I don't even know what they were! -- just trying to make sure we think about the fact that there are a lot of things going on here that might affect the outcome, and most of them are stuff we can only guess at.

On balance, I tend to regard these sorts of things as growing pains. Personally, I'm just glad to see the whole e-book thing actually showing some vestiges of mainstream motion, both on the hardware side, and in the realm of increasing e-book availability.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:56 PM   #20
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
It's too bad we just can't change what we bought from them and adjust it to our own needs if need be..... One book I purchased and first read on this thing, the font was fine (Echo Park)...... all the others I have purchased the largest font comes out looking much smaller and although I will be able to read it, it won't be as easy... It's too bad they cant do something in their connect program where we can load the book up there and really manipulate the font to larger in some manner other than the regular s, m and L..... maybe sony needs or can make some kind of downloadable update/fix.............. wishful thinking right?????????????/ right................ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #21
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
Not necessarily, Karen.

I bet font size (large) is a big issue: remember, whatever the Baby Boom wants, the Baby Boom gets. And right now, we want BIG TEXT.

I thought I would read mostly medium, but I was reading large to "slow me down" (skimming) and suddenly ----------- whoops, all three books are somehow on large font. That's the direction they'll go, I'm betting, bigger is better.
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #22
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
It's too bad we just can't change what we bought from them and adjust it to our own needs if need be.....
Right you are, April! When I started this thread, never expected so many people would agree.

Despite the technical objetions to being able to do this, it seems ridiculous to me that the old Rocket eBook, out years ago, let us download any TWO fonts and type sizes we had on our PCs.

One touch and you could switch between them. This worked for ALL published eBooks, regardless of the publisher, the copyright or anything else.

If this technology has been around for years, it is inconceivable that Sony can't figure out how to do it, inasmuch as we have to connect via USB.

It is about time Sony got it's head out of the sand, eh? More likely, they just don't care.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #23
Rp3
Rp3 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff
Right you are, April! When I started this thread, never expected so many people would agree.

Despite the technical objetions to being able to do this, it seems ridiculous to me that the old Rocket eBook, out years ago, let us download any TWO fonts and type sizes we had on our PCs.

One touch and you could switch between them. This worked for ALL published eBooks, regardless of the publisher, the copyright or anything else.

If this technology has been around for years, it is inconceivable that Sony can't figure out how to do it, inasmuch as we have to connect via USB.

It is about time Sony got it's head out of the sand, eh? More likely, they just don't care.

Not sure they "Don't care" but can you imagine trying to select the 'best' font? I can see it now, it's too big, I don't like the way the 'f' looks, etc..this can't be a simple thing..

Just my .02 cents.
Rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:10 AM   #24
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
I can't see the fascination with PDF files if you can get text to work and you can read a book on the reader with that, why convert it to pdf.... just read the book, LOL........
*I* personally have no need to convert books into pdf.

Yet, there are users that have special needs, like super extra large font. And if such large font isn't supported by the device in the default plaintext reading mode, then pdf might be used.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:31 AM   #25
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

And if they want to convert them....... again my point it PDF is not a super large font, I have yet to see one......it's easier to make large fonts in rtf or txt..
Old 12-21-2006, 11:06 PM   #26
BettyE
Connoisseur
BettyE doesn't litterBettyE doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook / Sony PRS-500 / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Welcome to MobileRead, eyestrain.
It's not entirely up to Sony, as they don't have full control of the content -- the content owners do, in this case that mostly means the publishers. I think they've been fussing with them about getting the fonts adjusted appropriately, which would mean that it's not really a matter of Sony not asking, but rather the pubs not giving.
I got my answer from Sony about the fonts. They said it is up to the publishers. They gave no indication that they are trying to change that or pressure the publishers. I have not had a chance to write my reply to Sony yet.

In thinking about it, I realize bookstores cannot control the size of the font in the books in their stores, but this is a different situation. Sony made the device and is controlling the store that sells the content. They get a profit from the books we buy. One book I'm reading now has, on every page, words that run together without spaces (not to mention, small text).

So, the publishers can give us garbage and Sony doesn't care? It has an impact on the acceptance of the Sony Reader.

On the other hand, maybe Sony is worried about being able to get content, so they don't push the publishers.

Over the holiday, I will find time to answer Sony.....

Betty
BettyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:08 PM   #27
BettyE
Connoisseur
BettyE doesn't litterBettyE doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook / Sony PRS-500 / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyE
Over the holiday, I will find time to answer Sony.....
One more thing - We can also contact the publishers and complain to them. I just don't want to turn them off to supplying content.

Betty
BettyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:11 AM   #28
eyestrain

I'm in total accordance with you BettyE, it really is passing the buck by saying the publishers are at fault. Sony are obliged to remedy the problem if the content they are selling is substandard.

I think the best thing we can do is complain loudly about any shoddy font/layout issues and ask for our money back. If enough people stick to their guns, Sony will have good reason to address the issue instead of burying their heads in the sand.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:15 AM   #29
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

I just finished a few books, one that was bought through connect, font size was fine and two that I re-adjusted so the font was larger...... so now I go to read one of the other books I got through connect and I must say now I am a little peeved because the font size on large is perhaps the size small on the stuff I have changed...... these books will be much harder for me to read and of which I started to read one, got an attitude and said screw this, and went to a different book that I have......I have to say I am glad I won't be buying many books through connect and will get mine elsewhere that I can adjust read and be happy with reading them..... If anything they need xl and xxl if that be the case and have it as an updated download somehow....
Old 12-22-2006, 08:49 AM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
...it really is passing the buck by saying the publishers are at fault.
Not if they actually are at fault. And particularly not if they're the only ones who can fix the problem or the ones blocking fixing the problem.

I'm not saying that that is the case, just pointing out that we don't really know what the case actually is.

I'm also not saying that there is no problem, there definitely is a problem with the font sizes on a lot of the books. I just think that while we're complaining loudly about it, we should keep in mind that what we think the fix is, may not be the fix.