Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
andyotter
andyotter began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300,PRS-600
re-registering a second hand 600

I've had a s/h PRS-600 for a few months now, but haven't put any new DRM-content on it. I thought I could just register it to me then I read this about the PRS-500:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiacha View Post
It is a little bit more complicated. The seller will need to give you a working username/password for his account so that you can remove the reader from the account. This is because the device needs to be connected to the account at the time it is removed. Then you can switch to your account and add the device.
Fiacha
Just checking that I'll have to do this for my 600 before I bother the previous owner....

Thanks in advance!

Oh, I should point out that I have a Mac; when I authorised our new PRS-300 I couldn't use ADE. Instead, Sony RL prompted me to register the reader when I dragged a DRM title over to it. Cos of this, I have no idea how to get a reader de-registered on a mac!

Last edited by andyotter; 05-18-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: additional info!
andyotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

If the original owner registered the 600 with the Sony Reader Store, then s/he needs to unregister it while it is attached to the computer--I think. If the original owner failed to do that, then it is too late since they no longer have the 600. However, I forgot to unregister a 600 I sold but was able to call Sony Support and have them do it. So at worst you might have to get the original owner to call Sony Support and have them unregister it.

Having said all that, the original owner may not have registered it with the Sony Reader Store. Some people use calibre instead. I would first try to register the 600 for use in the Sony Reader Store, and if that failed I would next call Sony Support, and if that failed as a last resort I would contact the original owner.
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
andyotter
andyotter began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300,PRS-600
maybe it's authorise!

Thanks Jack,
I'm wondering whether I'm getting the terms "register" and "authorize" mixed up?
I've registered the unit with Sony.

When I try to drag a DRM title over to the reader I get
"This eBook cannot be transferred because the Reader is authorized to another user"
So do I/prev owner have to de-authorise the unit with Adobe or Sony?

I am very confused (and thankful the s/h model my 79yr old mum just bought isn't yet authorised!).

Any light gratefully received!
andyotter is offline   Reply With Quote