Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
watch
watch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
does sony reader support arabic?

Hello,

I have read in the internet about ebook readers and was excited about them. I remember reading about sony first ebook reader (Libre) few months before its introduction in Japan in 2004. From that time and I am waiting to get my hands on one. I live in the middle east and -to my knowledge- we don't have these devices on sale here. But my brother is coming from the USA shortly and I was thinking of asking him to buy one form me from there.

I don't have a problem reading English but for the device to be of use for me I need it to read arabic books that I create or download regardless of the interface. So, my question: DOES THE SONY READER SUPPORT DISPLAYING ARABIC?
I might buy Sony 500 because it is not expensive. what do you think should I buy this one or another ebook reader?

Thank you.
watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you have an Arabic PDF file with the required fonts embedded in the file, it will work fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
watch

Thank you Harry for your reply.

I didn't create PDF files previously but I suppose it won't be difficult to embed the needed fonts. Most of my Araic books will be download from the internet but they might need redesign.

I am thinking to ask my brother to buy Sony Reader PRS-505 from USA because its price is rigth for me. Is that a good choice providing that support will not be available and the Arabic language and the technolgy itself versus the cheaper LCD devices? Any other considerations or advice?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Well, If Arabic is the priority, i'll suggest you take a good look at the Bebook / Hanlin V3/EzReader and the Cybook Gen 3.

The Gen 3 allows you to just copy fonts from your comuter onto the device to directly read documents. If the Arabic fonts you use are True Type Fonts, they should probably work.

The Hanlin V3 / Bebook / EzReader (All same, just different branding) I believe also supports different languages, though I'm not sure on how easy it is to add fonts. It does however support more file formats, so it may prove to be a better fit. Best to ask about the Arabic and font support in the Hanlin sub forum.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:21 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The CyBook does NOT support "right to left" languages such as Arabic (again, except in PDF files). Are you sure that the BeBook, Hanlin, etc, do?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The CyBook does NOT support "right to left" languages such as Arabic (again, except in PDF files). Are you sure that the BeBook, Hanlin, etc, do?
Ok, I was not aware of the right to left thing.

As for Bebook supporting it, well there is a Turkish company (Walkbook) rebranding it and selling it so I think it may be possible. That's why I suggested asking in the Hanlin forum.

Edit:

Ok I was under the impression that modern turkish uses a Arabic font, and was mistaken. Still, its worth asking around in the form and perhaps directlt to one of the Rebadgers suc as Bebook.

Last edited by bbusybookworm; 11-19-2008 at 02:35 AM.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
watch

Thanks for help.

Most Arabic books that I am going to read will be either PDF files from the internet or other formats that I will convert to PDF.

I download sony ebook library to view how the files will look in the reader. I used a (.txt) file that didn't display the correct charachters. then I opened that file in WORD 2007 and convert it to PDF using PDFFACTORY and the result in the software is satisfactory. I attached the file that I tested so - if you can- test it in your Reader.

My price limit is 275$ so, the sony is right choice for me, or what do you think?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Amthal1.pdf (264.6 KB, 1751 views)
Old 11-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
watch

Harry , bbusybookworm thanks for your help.

I looked at different topics in the forum and have seen the e-ink devices matrix which is very good by the way. There are a lot of good options but the price and shipping fees for some are not good for me. My price is around 275$ that could be raised to 300$ if the specs and details are good for my needs. So, my option is to buy from USA throu my brother who studies there.
I like the sony reader and its price but also I liked the Hanlin devices because they have SDK and that might help one day to provide better support for Arabic. (Am I mistaken here?).

I searched the Internet and found that there is only EZ reader in USA. Its preorder price is about 299$ (for the first 100 I think). That is about 30$ difference between this device and the sony one.

Which one should I go with do you think? Or Should I wait for new devices to come that will give me better options?

I expect to buy another device after two years if I am happy with the first one. So, Is wiating a good choice because there will be always better option down the road.

Thanks