Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
camdenmaine
camdenmaine began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kidle
Why do I get a blank file when I open SIGIL?

When I double click a sigil ebook, I always get two SIGIL files open, one blank and one the one I wanted. It's a small bother, but I've now closed hundreds of blank SIGIL files; is there any way to suppress the opening of a new blank file?
camdenmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
townsend
Enthusiast
townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.townsend got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sigil
When ever I open Sigil I get a blank file too. I'm pretty sure that's the default. I don't believe Sigil is set up yet, to open the last file you were working on. So I always have to pick it off the File menu, which does list the most recent documents.

But when you double click on an epub file, if Sigil is associated with the epub extension, it does open the requested file. Though it still opens the second blank file too. You may want to post this as an issue with John, the author. It's something he could probably fix. Or if nothing else, he could add it to his todo list.
townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't get a blank file when double-clicking an existing epub (or when opening an existing epub from Sigil's menu). I only get the blank (empty new project) html file when launching Sigil from the program menu (or a shortcut).

If there's an empty file showing up when you open existing ePubs, there's a good chance you've accidentally saved your epub with that blank file in it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-05-2013 at 05:54 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
It's a long standing issue that cannot be easily fixed. It's mainly due to OS X. Qt is window based but applications on OS X are not. Due to the way files are opened (event based) on OS X we can't tell if we Sigil is opening due to a file request or the user opening the application.

So the choice is always open a window or don't open a window and when a file isn't being opened force the user to use the menu to open a file. The menu at this point would basically have one option, open. This might not be so bad but menus in OS X being attached to a window means it's a bit more involved than it sounds...

Basically something can probably be done but it's going to be a lot of work for little gain.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote