Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Really Jack(ed) about Reacher!!

I know there was a thread on here about Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. The idea irritated me too, but it was a movie and any resemblance to books living or dead blah, blah, blah.

However my Kindle now shows the new Jack Reacher book from Child and guess who's face is prominently displayed above the title? How could Child have allowed his 6'4" character to be thought of in relation to some 5'5" dwarf?

Excuse me but I'm incensed!!
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
I know there was a thread on here about Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. The idea irritated me too, but it was a movie and any resemblance to books living or dead blah, blah, blah.

However my Kindle now shows the new Jack Reacher book from Child and guess who's face is prominently displayed above the title? How could Child have allowed his 6'4" character to be thought of in relation to some 5'5" dwarf?

Excuse me but I'm incensed!!

I know, isn't that ridiculous??? They did the same thing with John Grisham's boook The Firm. It was a good book, even a good series on TV. Unfortunately they cancelled it. The actor they chose for the lead in the series was tall and good looking. In the movie they used short Tom Cruise. Yuck.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
As most authors have no say on their covers, Child shouldn't be blamed. Blame the publisher who is *very* interested in linking the book to a hopefully successful movie. More successful, more books, more money.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I thought you were going to be talking about the release of the movie being delayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydailynews.com
The U.S. premiere of the Tom Cruise action movie "Jack Reacher" is being postponed following the deadly Connecticut school shooting.

Paramount Pictures says "out of honor and respect for the families of the victims" the premiere won't take place Saturday in Pittsburgh, where "Jack Reacher" was filmed.

The plot of "Jack Reacher," an adaptation of the Lee Child's novel "One Shot," begins with an expert sniper shooting five people in Pittsburgh.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2FAPWuQx6
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I haven't read One Shot yet, but I remember in Killing Floor Reacher's height and weight (general physique) was mentioned frequently.

I enjoy the series. I just hope I'm not forever doomed to picture Tom Cruise as Reacher every time I read one.

I'll probably skip the movie.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
I'll probably see the movie because I do like Tom Cruise, the actor.

And generally speaking the characters in a movie bear little resemblance to characters in the book that the movie is based on. But the size of Reacher is one of the things that is a constant in the books and helps define him. Grr.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
There was an interesting interview with Lee Childs in (I think) the NY Times a week or so ago. He used to be a screenwriter and made two significant points about this issue: (1) there are no American actors who are built like Jack Reacher (he described them all as "shrimps" and said they mostly used camera angles to make them look larger); and (2) having Tom Cruise as a lead means you can have the budget to make a better movie.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I haven't read One Shot yet, but I remember in Killing Floor Reacher's height and weight (general physique) was mentioned frequently.

I enjoy the series. I just hope I'm not forever doomed to picture Tom Cruise as Reacher every time I read one.

I'll probably skip the movie.
Pretty much all the books mention the height/weight at some point, as 6 5" and 225-250lb. Obviously for those who've read the books, having Cruise depict Reacher is absurd.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #9
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
They could be using some Peter Jackson-style special effects.

Or he could be acting taller.

DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
There was an interesting interview with Lee Childs in (I think) the NY Times a week or so ago. He used to be a screenwriter and made two significant points about this issue: (1) there are no American actors who are built like Jack Reacher (he described them all as "shrimps" and said they mostly used camera angles to make them look larger); and (2) having Tom Cruise as a lead means you can have the budget to make a better movie.
Lee Child also pointed out that fans are confusing characteristics with character and that he was very happy with Cruise's portrayal of Reacher, happy enough that he would be pleased to have additional Reacher movies made with Cruise as Reacher. Child also said that he could have pulled the plug but was very satisfied with the result.

I have read all of the Reacher novels and I agree with Childs that it is Reacher's character that is more important than his physical characteristics. I am looking forward to seeing the movie. Perhaps I will be disappointed but I suspect that Cruise can pull it off and that the movie will be very good.

With all the complaints about Cruise, who would you have chosen for the role in his place? Steven Seagal ? Seth Rogen ? Perhaps if this was 1970, Clint Eastwood ?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Cruise is around 5' 7''. They could hire really short co-stars like Danny DeVito and Michael J. Fox. Linda Hunt could be his love interest.

Or he could just wear heels and put his hair in a kind of bouffant.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Lee Child also pointed out that fans are confusing characteristics with character and that he was very happy with Cruise's portrayal of Reacher, happy enough that he would be pleased to have additional Reacher movies made with Cruise as Reacher. Child also said that he could have pulled the plug but was very satisfied with the result.

I have read all of the Reacher novels and I agree with Childs that it is Reacher's character that is more important than his physical characteristics. I am looking forward to seeing the movie. Perhaps I will be disappointed but I suspect that Cruise can pull it off and that the movie will be very good.
Another example of different physical characteristics was the film version of Jeffrey Deaver's "The Bone Collector". In the film, the quadriplegic former detective, Lincoln Rhyme, is played by a black actor, Denzel Washington. He's certainly not black in the books. Did it matter? No, not in the least.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I thought you were going to be talking about the release of the movie being delayed.

Why is the movie delayed? Have they started to feed growth hormones to Cruise?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The post you've quoted explains exactly why it's been delayed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Why does the actor have to be American? Liam Neeson would have worked and no one can argue about his acting skills.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote