Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
jaffab
Enthusiast
jaffab is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PR505
Waterstones - and Sony PRS-505 errors

A month ago, my wife any I purchased two PRS-505’s from waterstones (online). They arrived the day of release. From the day she switched it on, my wife has been having problems with her PRS-505, ranging from locking up, to the internal disk not being seen when connected to a PC, to freezing when displaying PDF files.

Two weeks ago, she finally got through to Waterstones returns (after 1 week or so of emails and trying to phone them) and the word is, there are major hardware issues with several batches of PRS-505’s. Waterstones are overwhelmed by the number of returns (the Waterstones womens comment, not mine), and are no longer taking returns back (as they cant handle the volume), but now are asking the customers to send their faulty 505’s directly to Sony by recorded post.

My wife is lucky – because she was quick off the mark (at my insistence) and contacted Waterstones as soon as the faults appeared, they have sent her a new 505 today. However, the girl at waterstones said that the PRS-505 was already in high demand and having to ship out replacements will put more demand on the device so some people will be waiting weeks for fixes or new devices.

She has also had a frustrating two weeks watching as I read from mine (which I love) whilst hers sits dead in a box.
jaffab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffab View Post
She has also had a frustrating two weeks watching as I read from mine (which I love) whilst hers sits dead in a box.
You didn't share your Reader with her? Or would that have just made her more miserable? I guess the most important thing is that she will have her own Reader now and the two of you will be able to sit side-by-side and read happily every after.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
jaffab
Enthusiast
jaffab is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PR505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
You didn't share your Reader with her? Or would that have just made her more miserable? I guess the most important thing is that she will have her own Reader now and the two of you will be able to sit side-by-side and read happily every after.
Dreamer
An update on this. Despite Waterstones saying it was in the 'post' (actually gave a courier reference number), nothing arrived. Wife called waterstones, and they said they did not recognise the booking number, and they had not sent anything out. Chap at Waterstones said that because of the 'massive amounts of returns and swaps', everything is now being done direct with Sony UK, and the new device would be shipped by Sony. Next date for sonys batch send out is the 20th October (according to Waterstones). Clearly though, if they are lying about having sent one out (which they now said they did not send out), this date could be a work of faction as well.

So wife now trying to speak to Sony.
jaffab is offline   Reply With Quote