Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #16
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I think that applesauce might also like mack bolan series at mackbolan.com.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
drool drool. serial killers with lots of extreme violence. Evil loving little thing I be

thanks they are now on my to read list.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
LucyLu
Bookaholic
LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PocketBook Touch
I love with passion Jeffery Deavers books. Deaver, an ex-lawyer, is a suspense/thriller author of two collections of short stories and 27 suspense novels. He's most widely known for his bestselling series featuring quadriplegic detective Lincoln Rhyme.

The Lincoln Rhyme series, is based on ex-head of NYPD forensics and one of the country leading criminologists, severely injured during an investigation leaving him with only the movement of his head plus one finger and a brilliant mind, encased in a broken body.

The first book of the series "The bone collector" (on which was based the movie with Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie) is a spine chilling thriller impossible to put down. A wonderful narration in which New York history and urban myth are mixed with chilling and gruesome events.

A wondenderful book and a wonderful series but not for the faint of heart.
LucyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #19
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Try Sir Henry Rider Haggard. "King Solomon's Mines" or "She" will rival any modern thriller writer.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
Pand
Pand began at the beginning.

Device: None
I read a lot of thrillers. Some of the lesser known writers who are pretty good- Sean Ellis, Kane Gilmour, Carolyn McCray, J.F. Penn.
Pand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #21
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
To find similar authors, check out Literature Map. com here http://www.literature-map.com/

You enter an author's name and hit return and a new screen opens with your author's name in the middle and other author names arrayed around him. The closer they are the more like them they are.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #22
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
For some less expensive reads that I've actually read:

Simon Royle - Bangkok Burn
Mike McIntyre - The Scavenger's Daughter (Yay! Serial killers!)
Shaun Jeffrey - The Kult (Yay! serial killers!)
Douglas E. Richards - Wired (Techno-thriller)

Other authors I've come across but haven't read yet include: Blake Crouch, Brett Battles, Russell Blake, Jeremy Burns, Saffina Desforges, Andrew E. Kaufman and of course, Jack Kilborn/J A Konrath.

Although I haven't read them all, they seem more on this side of reasonable pricing so it doesn't hurt too much to try them out. Additionally, I have books from most of these authors and didn't pay anything because they became temporarily free on Amazon.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #23
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

These are all worthy authors to look up their works. Personally I have been been dismayed by the recent rises in paperback books and I am alwayss looking to pay less for my favorite past time.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool James Lee Burke my hero......

James Lee Burke - always been thriller enough for me, one of the finest American authors, wonderfully written and realised characters

The Robicheaux series is the obvious start ("Neon Rain" the first), but all his stuff is excellent.

Try him, you'll rarely regret it
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #25
jbcohen
Wizard

How many of you go through your favorite book store's web page and sort all of the trillers on price then start reading with the books listed first? That is exactly the way I do it and I have come up with some excellent free and low cost thriller novels. Who care's if I have never heard of the author before, that simple means that I am uninformed. It does not take a genius to download and read the latest John Grisham or Tom Clancy since they are best sellers. What takes thought, time and effort is looking at the low cost books and deciding which one is worth your time and effort to read. I haev read a Thomas Hoover and I am on a James Piper novel at the moment and the thomas hoover was great and I don't know wether I will like to the James Piper or not, the jurry is still out.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #26
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
How many of you go through your favorite book store's web page and sort all of the trillers on price then start reading with the books listed first? That is exactly the way I do it and I have come up with some excellent free and low cost thriller novels. Who care's if I have never heard of the author before, that simple means that I am uninformed. It does not take a genius to download and read the latest John Grisham or Tom Clancy since they are best sellers. What takes thought, time and effort is looking at the low cost books and deciding which one is worth your time and effort to read. I haev read a Thomas Hoover and I am on a James Piper novel at the moment and the thomas hoover was great and I don't know wether I will like to the James Piper or not, the jurry is still out.
i sure like the idea of low cost, but how do you decide which ones are worthwhile? my limited experience with low cost, relative unknown authors has been that they are pretty bad.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #27
jbcohen
Wizard

The only way that I have found to weed out the bad ones is to read the sample that amazon will give you free. The ones that are free I will generally read the first chapter before deciding to read the rest of the book or not. Since the free books are just that there is less lost if I don't like one, thus far there is only one free book that I did not like that much however, I stuck with the book. I have found that the free excerpt is a fairly good indicator if I am going to like the book or not. Has yet to fail me.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #28
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
thanks, jb. good tip and i will give it a try.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #29
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Am I the only one who thinks Vince Flynn and Brad Thor has become political mouthpieces for the intelligence community?

Frederick Forsyth and Graham Greene, two different approaches to thrillers, but both worth reading.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #30
jbcohen
Wizard

May be so however they have a lot of action in their books and they write very well. If only their books did not cost so much I would be reading more of them. Vince Flynn and Brad Thor have probably run out of unique story lines to write into their books, that appends sometimes. I guess what they really need to do is to read the newspapers for more ideas for their books.