Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
rmorrow
rmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Better GMail Settings

On the off chance that this isn't widely known, I'm going to suggest better settings to use with the stock email client when using GMail. The default 'auto' install sets you up with an IMAP connection to Google. You can get better functionality (push notification, folders, contact and calendar sync) by setting GMail up as an exchange account. There's two ways to do this.

First, via the settings menu. Go to Settings -> Accounts & sync and select Add account. Select Corporate. Enter your GMail username (user@gmail.com) and your password. Select 'Send email from this account by default' and then press Next. On the server settings screen, leave everything as is, except the Server value. Change this to 'm.google.com'. Click Next. On the Account options page, set things up as you like. I leave them as default. Click Next. On the last page, give this account a name and press Done.

It's easier if you haven't entered any account in the email client, or if you just delete it before doing this. Launch the email client (the icon in the app folder named 'Email'). Enter your GMail username and password, and then click on 'Manual setup'. For the next screen, type of account, select 'Exchange'. On the next screen, again, all is good here, except change the server name to 'm.google.com'. Click Next, and on the next screen check 'Send email from this account by default'. Click Next, give the account a name and then click Done.

I haven't had a lot of time to play with this, but it seems to work well. YMMV of course.

A co-worker of mine turned me on to this as a way he set up push GMail to his iphone. He got the info from this URL;

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...?answer=138740

One of the neat things about setting the account up this way is that the stock calendar app can now see your google calendar.

Hope that this is helpful to others.

Rick
rmorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
This works well. Messages sent on my vox do show up on my regular IMAP gmail accounts (phone and computer) as sent messages. Deleting using the vox email does NOT delete them on the gmail server. I haven't tried to save a new contact to see if that updates on the server. Though as it says it does, I 'm guessing it is right .

Nice to have the calendar.

I was also able to setup my work google apps account!

Karma to you!

Last edited by taming; 11-02-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Big edit after trying
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
rmorrow
rmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watchrmorrow is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Nice to have the calendar.
I agree. This was pretty much my only gripe with the Vox as is. I have an android phone (the Atrix) and had to adjust to android's integration with all things google. However, once I drank the google kool-aid I found I didn't mind it so much, and even came to find it useful.

With the Vox, I can work around the lack of the main android market. I was finding it very difficult to not have that android <-> google tether available. This at least in part addresses that.

Rick
rmorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
This works well. Messages sent on my vox do show up on my regular IMAP gmail accounts (phone and computer) as sent messages. Deleting using the vox email does NOT delete them on the gmail server.
That is a "feature" of Google's - if you use email through the Exchange method, it will archive your deleted messages, instead of deleting them.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good to know, Sara. I turned notifications to silent, btw. I sure do not need to have more sound in my life--especially when I am reading.
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox
Thid is awesome I really wanted it to work with the calendar so this is gonna be great for me!

A quick question, if o do thos will it download my entire gmail inbox to the vox? Because I have alot of attached files in my emails and it could quickly fill it up
blacknirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

You can choose how many days of email it should sync with as you set it up. Many things can be changed within the setting, btw.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Thanks RMORROW,

I got my gmail contacts and calendar to sync up with the Vox.

Contacts and calendar seem to be syncing both directions.

I was using something called ClearSync but it was involved, calendar on Google, calendar on ClearSync etc.

I am using the Agenda Widget Plus from getjar to show coming events on one of the desktop screens.

Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have mine working now too. My gmail was working but forgot that I have my calendar on windows live. Got that working too by setting up an exchange account for windows live as well. I used these instructions. For windows live, use whatever your log-in e-mail address is, this may not be a hotmail account (was not in my case). You still fill in the server with m.hotmail.com so you get your calendar to sync.

http://www.thesearethedroids.com/201...-with-android/
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
cindiaugustine
Enthusiast
cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox and original Kobo
Yay!! I know have my calendar synced. It took me a bit because I kept looking in my gmail settings and not finding "Accounts & sync" then it finally occurred to me you meant Settings on the apps page. Duh!! LOL

Love how much info is being shared on this forum, you guys rock. Thanks rmorrow!
cindiaugustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #11
teknoteach
teknoteach will become famous soon enoughteknoteach will become famous soon enoughteknoteach will become famous soon enoughteknoteach will become famous soon enoughteknoteach will become famous soon enoughteknoteach will become famous soon enough

thanks OP. Helpful as I needed the server info. Now my main calendar shows which is good - however does anyone know how I can get a shared calendar to also show? I was sure that on my android phone I was able to set it so that I could see my calendar and my wife's calendar... or was that only through a browser interface to the google calendar. Is there any way to get the built in calendar app to show my calendar AND a shared one? Can't find a setting to add the calendar the way you can on the computer.
teknoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:24 AM   #12
tinted_tictac
tinted_tictac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox, Nexus 7
a bit of clarification:

domain/username: should be full email address
server for hotmail should be: m.hotmail.com

Last edited by tinted_tictac; 11-13-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: wrong info
tinted_tictac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
KAPT Kipper
KAPT Kipper began at the beginning.

Cannot contect Server error - Fixed

I'm had an issue with Gmail. Hotmail worked. But Gmail said it cannot contact the server?

If my email is First.Last@Gmail.com

I have this on the server settings screen
Domain\User: \First.Last
Password: - I Verified this
Server: m.google.com - changed as per the OP.

This results in an error "cannot contact the server"
FIX - Changing the Domain\User to \First.Last@gmail.com was required.
apparently "Cannot contact the server" is a generic error and in my case was due to the user not being found. A faulty password returns the same error.

Thanks a lot guys.
KAPT Kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:45 AM   #14
jonjamesd
jonjamesd began at the beginning.

This thread has been of great help to me also.

However, when I open the calendar, I do indeed see it and the dates listed, but when I try to add a new event, a pop-up screen arrives and states "No calendars -- You have no calendars."

Anybody have ANY idea what is going on here? I'd like to add events and use it as an organizer.

EDIT: Fixed it. I'm new to this stuff. I didn't have my account fully synced. I'm all set.

I am grateful for this forum and it's generous members/contributors.

Last edited by jonjamesd; 11-28-2011 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Fixed Problem on Own
jonjamesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #15
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

I did everything, but for my calendar, when I put something at a day on my computer. When my vox sync those, it put it 1 day before or the 2 days (the good and before)...
I can't add the date from anything else than the vox.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote