Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
TheMedic
TheMedic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
eBook is incomplete after conversion with Calibre

I've got a Kindle 3 so I can't read epub format books.
This isn't a problem with the great program Calibre installed.

But i've got a very strange problem.

With certain books the following happens:

I've got an epub format book loaded in Calibre. If I double click it it shows the complete book so all the text is there.
Then I convert it to mobi so I can read it on my kindle. But after conversion A great part of the book is lost. About the first 25 pages are there but the rest is missing. Both in Calibre itself as on the Kindle the pages aren't there.
Reloading it and converting it again doesn't solve it.

Does anyone know how to fix this annoying problem?

greetings.
TheMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Open a bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre . Be sure to attach the EPUB file as well as your conversion log. You can get the conversion log by converting, clicking the jobs text at the bottom right, select the conversion job, click details, then copy and paste the text into something like notepad.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
TheMedic

I tried to:
-I made an account
-Report a bug
-Summary "eBook is incomplete after conversion with Calibre" <then Next>

There is 1 error: A summary is required.

After searching this forum I also did the following:
Installed FlightCrew epub checker:

It has three ÿellow flags:
- Ryan, Chris - Tegenaanval.epub/OEBPS/Images/Cover.jpg: This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it is not reachable (it's unused)

- Ryan, Chris - Tegenaanval.epub/OEBPS/Images/Cover_image.jpg: This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it is not reachable (it's unused)

- Ryan, Chris - Tegenaanval.epub/OEBPS/Styles/stylesheet.css: This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it is not reachable (it's unused)

Last edited by TheMedic; 03-28-2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: extra information
Old 03-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMedic View Post
I tried to:
-I made an account
-Report a bug
-Summary "eBook is incomplete after conversion with Calibre" <then Next>

There is 1 error: A summary is required.

After searching this forum I also did the following:
Installed FlightCrew epub checker:

It has three ÿellow flags:
- Ryan, Chris - Tegenaanval.epub/OEBPS/Images/Cover.jpg: This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it is not reachable (it's unused)

- Ryan, Chris - Tegenaanval.epub/OEBPS/Images/Cover_image.jpg: This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it is not reachable (it's unused)

- Ryan, Chris - Tegenaanval.epub/OEBPS/Styles/stylesheet.css: This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it is not reachable (it's unused)
Those errors (Warnings), just mean that your EPUB has extra baggage along for the ride.

I have not seen those warnings cause a book to fail.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
TheMedic

As I can't seem to make a bug report on the Calibre site.
This is what Calibre says about the conversion:

Convert book 1 of 1 (Tegenaanval)
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 0.7.48
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0.0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': u'original',
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part|prologue|epilogue\\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': 'c:\\users\\martijn\\appdata\\local\\temp\\calibre _0.7.48_tmp_hhv8ht\\calibre_0.7.48_omoksi.jpeg',
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'dont_compress': False,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'extra_css': None,
'fix_indents': True,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x058C3F10>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'mobi_ignore_margins': False,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_inline_navbars': True,
'no_inline_toc': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindleOutput object at 0x058CB250>,
'page_breaks_before': u'/',
'personal_doc': u'[PDOC]',
'prefer_author_sort': False,
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'pretty_print': False,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': 'c:\\users\\martijn\\appdata\\local\\temp\\calibre _0.7.48_tmp_hhv8ht\\calibre_0.7.48_utdlmm.opf',
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
'rescale_images': False,
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'tags': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'toc_title': None,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: EPUB Input running
on C:\Users\martijn\Calibre Bibliotheek\Chris Ryan\Tegenaanval (1062)\Tegenaanval - Chris Ryan.epub
Parsing all content...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0004.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0001.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0005.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0006.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Styles/stylesheet.css ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0002.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0003.xhtml ...
Reading TOC from NCX...
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Source base font size is 12.00000pt
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Parsing stylesheet.css ...
Trimming 'OEBPS/Images/Cover.jpg' from manifest
Trimming 'OEBPS/Images/cover_image.jpg' from manifest
Creating MOBI Output...
Generating in-line TOC...
Applying case-transforming CSS...
Parsing manglecase.css ...
Parsing tocstyle.css ...
Rasterizing SVG images...
Converting XHTML to Mobipocket markup...
Serializing markup content...
Compressing markup content...
Generating flat CTOC ...
CNCX utilization: 1 record, 0% full
Indexing navPoints ...
Generating INDX ...
Serializing images...
MOBI output written to c:\users\martijn\appdata\local\temp\calibre_0.7.48 _tmp_hhv8ht\calibre_0.7.48_5aesag.mobi
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@TheMedic: use a different browser to open the bug report, apparently, launchpad doesn't like some version of internet explorer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
TheMedic

Thanks, no in could report the bug on the Calibre site.
Hope you guys can find out what the problem is!
Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If using IE8 I have found that the compatibility mode option needs to be set with Launchpad.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just for completeness, here's the Launchpad bug about incompatibility with IE8:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/500015
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
TheMedic

The guys from Calibre fixed it:

You have incorrectly identified the file Section005.xhtml as the cover in the <guide> section of the opf file in your EPUB. Remove the <guide> section from the OPF file in the epub.

After doing so the file could be converted without a problem!

Great program and great support. Donation made to support this great effort
Old 03-29-2011, 02:52 AM   #11
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
This seems to be a common misconception... you've had three developers answer in this thread- for all intents and purposes, the guys on this forum and the guys "from Calibre" are mostly identical
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
hollowayhouse
hollowayhouse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Similar problem, I think.

Quote:

You have incorrectly identified the file Section005.xhtml as the cover in the <guide> section of the opf file in your EPUB. Remove the <guide> section from the OPF file in the epub.

After doing so the file could be converted without a problem!

Great program and great support. Donation made to support this great effort
My ePub files looks great. When I go to convert ePub to Kindle, all but zero of my body copy appears. I see chapters, subchapters and sometimes ONE word of random text, followed by the next chapter...

I did the ePub to Kindle conversion last week and it worked like a charm.

What could be wrong? And, if it's what you described above, how do I open the OPF file and edit it? And, do I find that Section005 file and delete it?

This is all pretty new to me, so my apologies.
I'd been using Storyist, and tried Calibre for conversion and the first time, it worked so easily. Not sure why I'm struggling this time. SAME BOOK, but had to do some edits/updates. Now, it's kind of broken...

Thanks.
hollowayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
hollowayhouse

Screen grabs of conversion set up

Attached are two screen captures of the Structure and TOC info I am using.
As I said, this is exactly what I used the first time...

I've also attached a screen grab of how it looks on my Kindle for Mac view, because I've discovered another element to consider...

You see the Chapter (center, bold)
You see the subchapter (left justified, bold ital)
BUT, the ONLY body text that comes through is that which is italicized.
So, you can see one word or a paragraph that has been treated with italics, but straight, normal copy doesn't show.

Thanks to whoever can help me!

S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 2.52.21 PM.png
Views:	348
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	71331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 2.52.37 PM.png
Views:	296
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	71332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 3.00.13 PM.png
Views:	318
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	71333  

Last edited by hollowayhouse; 05-13-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: more info to share.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowayhouse View Post
My ePub files looks great. When I go to convert ePub to Kindle, all but zero of my body copy appears. I see chapters, subchapters and sometimes ONE word of random text, followed by the next chapter...

I did the ePub to Kindle conversion last week and it worked like a charm.

What could be wrong? And, if it's what you described above, how do I open the OPF file and edit it? And, do I find that Section005 file and delete it?

This is all pretty new to me, so my apologies.
I'd been using Storyist, and tried Calibre for conversion and the first time, it worked so easily. Not sure why I'm struggling this time. SAME BOOK, but had to do some edits/updates. Now, it's kind of broken...

Thanks.
Select your book in Calibre
Tap "T" (Tweak E-PUB)

Explode the file.

Locate the file you want to change.
Edit with Notepade or othere text only editor)

Section 5 may be a valid file. It maybe incorrectly identified as to its purpose. That is what the instructions above suggest. follow them carefully
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
hollowayhouse

Not sure what to fix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Select your book in Calibre
Tap "T" (Tweak E-PUB)

Explode the file.

Locate the file you want to change.
Edit with Notepade or othere text only editor)

Section 5 may be a valid file. It maybe incorrectly identified as to its purpose. That is what the instructions above suggest. follow them carefully
Thanks for your reply, but now that I've isolated the quirk that it is only the italicized text that's showing in the body text on Kindle, and knowing it worked on an earlier version, I'm not sure what to fix in the file!

Quandary continues.

UPDATE Monday, 5/16/11: Just installed the 0.8.1 update that came out, hoping it would magically resolve my issue, but alas no.

Still need some guidance. Again, from what I can tell, Caliber, when converting from either RTF OR ePub to Mobi is only converting Chapters, Subchapters, and specially formatted text.

HELP ASAP.

UPDATE: UNKNOWN REASON FOR RESOLUTION:
Okay, so I found the older version of the mobi file where it was all correct. I put that back into Calibre, then converted IT to an RTF. Updated the RTF with the latest edits, then re-generated the mobi. File fine, but no TOC. Added back the original TOC XPATHs, and voila! How weird is that???

Last edited by hollowayhouse; 05-16-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Updated info.

Tags
calibre, conversion, epub, incomplete, mobi