Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Fasten Your Seat Belts But Keep Reading

Looks like the FAA is going to lighten up on eBook readers (and other devices). Details here http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/03/...ntcmp=features and http://thehill.com/blogs/transportat...-restrictions-

Last edited by MickeyC; 03-25-2013 at 06:51 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Wil Wheaton repeatedly lept in front of an airplane full of children with his ereader not in airplane mode to get this passed. I'm greatful, thanks Wil.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Finally some common sense. What a stupid rule. How much interference can a Kindle in airplane mode actually cause? Less than the static electricity from rubbing your pants legs together, that's how much.

I usually just keep reading my kindle during takeoffs and landings, and if I perceive a flight attendant approaching just act like I'm only holding it. I can attest that doing so has caused exactly zero of the planes I've been on to go down in a ball of fire.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I agree. This is common sense.

A few years ago, there was a scare when the batteries in some IBM laptops spontaneously caught fire. IBM recalled the affected models. An airline I was using at the time decided that they wouldn't ban IBM laptops from being taken on board, but they wouldn't allow them to be used in flight.

I pointed out that, if my laptop was suddenly going to burst into flames, it would be better if that happened while it was on my lap than if it was stowed away in the overhead where no-one could see it. But to no avail.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
WOOHOOOOO

I am very happy
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Finally some common sense. What a stupid rule. How much interference can a Kindle in airplane mode actually cause? Less than the static electricity from rubbing your pants legs together, that's how much.
It's people who DON'T put it into flight mode who are the problem. A 3G Kindle, when out of the range of a cell tower, will increase the power of its radio transmitter to maximum in order to attempt to contact a cell tower (just as any other cellphone will). One Kindle isn't the issue, but several hundred cellphones all doing the same thing is certainly something that avionics engineers need to take into account when shielding instruments. How many people actually even know that a 3g Kindle has a cellular radio, do you think?

Quote:
I usually just keep reading my kindle during takeoffs and landings, and if I perceive a flight attendant approaching just act like I'm only holding it. I can attest that doing so has caused exactly zero of the planes I've been on to go down in a ball of fire.
"The rules don't apply to me" is your attitude, is it? I take the view that if I choose to fly, I obey the rules, whether or not I happen to think they're silly. Flight attendants have enough to do without passengers who think they're "special".

Last edited by HarryT; 03-26-2013 at 12:24 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Can we please avoid having that same discussion yet again?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Can we please avoid having that same discussion yet again?
But nobody has made the following comments yet:
  • My kindle weighs less than a flying hardback
  • Half the idiots forget to turn off their cell phones anyhow
  • If it's distraction that they're worried about, how's that any different than the SkyMall catalog?
  • Can't you go 10 minutes without reading? Just put it away and stop causing trouble!
  • It's all an evil conspiracy of the paper mills, traditional publishers, and airport concession stands to make us buy paper books!
  • I just hide my Kindle in an old paper book with the pages cut out
  • If they allowed Kindles they'd have to allow iPads, phones, gameboys, etc... it would descend into chaos as the flight attendants try to figure out which devices are allowed and which aren't... it's easier just to ban them all
  • If you're allowed to use your Kobo, Joe Schmoe next to you is going to complain when he's told to turn off his portable 3 gigawatt ham radio.

I'm sure I missed a few, but maybe this'll help speed things along. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"The rules don't apply to me" is your attitude, is it? I take the view that if I choose to fly, I obey the rules, whether or not I happen to think they're silly. Flight attendants have enough to do without passengers who think they're "special".
Agreed. While I think it is a silly rule, I do comply with it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
There are so many silly rules connected with flying, that I've solved the problem by not flying
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
My husband almost always forgets to turn off his cell unless I remind him. He's really tall and usually too busy trying to find a place for his legs or get comfortable with his knees up under his chin.

I'm usually too distracted to remind him since I'm busy trying to forget being groped and manhandled by TSA.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Once did a 9 hours flight, phone not in plane mode, no problem.
Wasn't on purpose, i thought i had switched off the phone as it was useless anyway...

I had to take a paperbook along with me as well, anoying...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
[QUOTE=EowynCarter;2464529
Once did a 9 hours flight, phone not in plane mode, no problem.
Wasn't on purpose, i thought i had switched off the phone as it was useless anyway...
[/QUOTE]

If my phone was on for 9 hours without a signal it would have switched itself off when the battery died after about three hours. No problem!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Once did a 9 hours flight, phone not in plane mode, no problem. Wasn't on purpose, i thought i had switched off the phone as it was useless anyway...

I had to take a paperbook along with me as well, anoying...
No one is perfect and forgetting is much different than actively ignoring the flight attendants.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
If my phone was on for 9 hours without a signal it would have switched itself off when the battery died after about three hours. No problem!
Yes, hence the reson i meant to switch it off.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote