Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #781
sh0e
Keyser Söze
sh0e began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4th gen NT / Kindle PW2
Kindle 4th gen unbricked

hey there,

a few days ago my kindle 4th gen stopped working.
half way booting, the "your kindle needs repair" message popped up.

some google action lead me to this post and Kubrick Live CD.

long story shot, my kindle is working again.
just wanted to say thank you for fixing my kindle

regards,
sh0e
sh0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #782
renoreaper
renoreaper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Stuck in USBNetwork

Hi all,

my first post here:
first off, thanks so much for putting together the Kubrick package, it's very comprehensive and easy to use!

Unfortunately, while trying to fix my gf's kindle 4 I got stuck after trying to enable the USBNETWORK step, basically the computer never detects this being turned on... I did however manage to flash the diags onto the kindle; could anyone give me an indication of where I could look next to try and resolve this? I have some (minor) experience with Linux and since the Kindle seems to be bricked anyway I'd be willing to try some more risky things as well.

Thanks!
renoreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2015, 07:51 PM   #783
staze
staze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbstech View Post
@Tenrius, I have basically the exact same situation. My Kindle Keyboard 3g just stopped functioning. The screen has been locked on the screen with the person under the tree and the status bar at ~3% for a week. I had just recharged it the day before (got the green light). Went to use it and it tried to reboot and froze. It had been acting strangely previously though, rebooting on it's own now and again. I have never attempted any "hacks" on this device so that is not an issue here.
When I first connected it to my computer, after it froze, I got the "SE Blank Ringo" message and my laptop would chime as it trwould connect/disconnect...not anymore..nothing.

After charging for days (when the orange light goes off I would just reconnect it and the light would return) I attempted the Kubrick debricking method. Although I do not get any confirmation from the Kindle screen, I followed the directions from Kubrick with the same results as you. It detects the device after going through the USB Downloader mode steps (takes about 10 secs.), flashes the kernel (about 4 secs.), then flashes the main partition in about 5 seconds (goes from 0% to Flashing Done). Tried turning it on with no success.

I have tried to reset the device using the internal reset button to no avail, as well.
Unless there are other suggestions or options I am resigning it to paperweight status.

Thanks for all of the great advice here.
Also having the same issue... I don't think it's the battery since with no load it reads 4.2V, and with a 400mA load (way above what the Kindle actually draws), it only sags to about 4.1V.

I can confirm it shows up as a Freescale Ringo.

Any other thoughts? Next I guess I'll try the Freescale tools.
staze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #784
didoto
Enthusiast
didoto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Hi,
I got a K3 Demo unit and I am trying to make it a useful real K3 and came to this thread and found what I was looking for
But I have no success in starting the process
Both USB and DVD boot give errors and the process can not be started.
The DVD gives corrupted DVD and error messages are running down my screen at a mad speed.... and I tried K3 and the combined K-3-4-5 image and nothing - it is the same.
USB says that something is changed or missing in the boot folder and stops in the very beginning, but I have only copied the boot.iso there!
And I see that very soon others have succeeded!
There must be something wrong with my hardware or software, but I do not know what
I am using Win XP and using Nero to make bootable DVDs and I have A-DATA 2GB USB stick and write the image of the linux partition with Win32DiskImager and then copy the boot.iso to the boot folder.
I was very heppy how easy it was described, but yet I mark only failures so far.

Please, please, please help

Last edited by didoto; 01-20-2015 at 09:59 AM.
didoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:05 AM   #785
didoto
Enthusiast
didoto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Update!
I did it!!
I do not believe it - I had problems on my Intel i3 with 2-3GB RAM, but it worked in my old half broken (keyboard 2/3 not working and strange noises after it fell a year ago) Acer Aspire One 8''
No problems, no issues - nice and smoothly
I have full working K3 now.
Thanks for this thread and forum
didoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #786
Zenobia77
Zenobia77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi guys,
hope you can help me out, can't find a way to go ahead...

first of all, i've started the procedure from a f@ck1ng MAC, on virtualization and did not worked (not entering fastboot mode);
i then moved to a physical machine (lenovo laptop and a destop PC), and this seems to work better, but... in fact afteter flashing diags system, the kindle reboots and hangs on "man reading behind a tree" screen, i never have the diagnostic menu appearing.
Battery is new and fully charged (i've left both old and new batteries on charge for 3 days, but same result)

is my Kindle completely gone?

thanks a lot for your replies

EDIT:

i've tried to run the procedure manually from Fastboot, and well when i flash the diags partition i have an OK, but rebooting the KT still hangs. I've tried the fastboot check command, and it is failing for the partitions bist, userdata, kernel, diags_kernel, system, diags and data... does this means the flash frive is gone? i've tried to erase diags_kernel and re-flash it but still failing the check command....

Last edited by Zenobia77; 02-23-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Zenobia77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #787
nicole ridgway
Enthusiast
nicole ridgway began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite [10th generation]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouffian View Post
I am in France where the coolest new technology is the guillotine.
WONDERFUL.
nicole ridgway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:26 AM   #788
bonnerable
Connoisseur
bonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kobo Mini, Glo HD, Inkbook Prime HD, Kobo Libra
Hi,

I've successfully debricked my Kindle 3 3G w/ software v3.4.

When I try to apply software update 3.4.1 it fails.

Hopefully someone could help me. Thanks in advance!
bonnerable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:52 AM   #789
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnerable View Post
Hi,

I've successfully debricked my Kindle 3 3G w/ software v3.4.

When I try to apply software update 3.4.1 it fails.

Hopefully someone could help me. Thanks in advance!
Do you really need the changes brought by 3.4.1? Really??
(Only new browser certificates, IIRC.)
- - - - -
I ask because the author of KUBRICK has moved on to other things, quite some time ago.
- - - - -
If you really, really, need the higher firmware number -
Then you have to give us a chance, tell us more detail than "it fails".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:49 AM   #790
bonnerable
Connoisseur
bonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Do you really need the changes brought by 3.4.1? Really??
(Only new browser certificates, IIRC.)
- - - - -
I ask because the author of KUBRICK has moved on to other things, quite some time ago.
- - - - -
If you really, really, need the higher firmware number -
Then you have to give us a chance, tell us more detail than "it fails".
During update it says "not successful" w/ code "U006" at bottom left. If it there's not much added functionality then I guess I'll just stay with 3.4.

Last edited by bonnerable; 03-05-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:57 AM   #791
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
U006 is the general 'whoopsie, something went wrong' error (usually corrupt file); so, if you really care about it, check the system logs. But, yeah, its sole purpose is to fix the SSL browsing issues, so if you don't use the stock browser, you can pretty much live without it.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:11 AM   #792
bonnerable
Connoisseur

Just an update, my ISO image was corrupted (CRC error). That's why after debricking and updating the software from 3.4 to 3.4.1 it fails.

I redownloaded the image and went again with the debricking. After that I was able to update fro 3.4 to 3.4.1.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #793
mrwoodnc
mrwoodnc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I have a Kindle Touch that suddenly stopped working. It appears that the Kindle is confused about which area of the screen gets touched. When I touch an area it thinks that some other area of the screen has been touched. For example touching the screen about half way down makes the Kindle think that I touched the Back button or the Kindle Store button. I used the Kubrick Live CD to try to recover the Kindle but still have the same touch screen issue where the Kindle it thinks that some other area of the screen has been touched instead of what is actually touched. The interesting thing is that when the diagnostics portion of the Live CD is flashed, the touch screen behaves as expected. The various diagnostic items can be touched and selected as expected, so apparently there is nothing wrong with the touch screen hardware. After the KT image is flashed however, the touch screen problem returns. For example when setting up the Kindle I touch the US English item but the Kindle thinks that I've touched one of the other languages. Any ideas?
mrwoodnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #794
Mob201503
Mob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW3 (7th Gen), Android apps (KOReader, Moon+ Reader Pro)
Thank you so much ixtab for saving my Touch's life. This morning I cast what I thought would be my last forlorn look at the "Your Kindle Needs Repair" message on my three year old Kindle Touch before having to again part with more cash for at least a refurbished Kindle. Thanks to your guide however, my Touch is now back like new. And it was such a close call. I almost gave up on Kubrick before it went on to come up trumps for me.

I have a mid-2010 MacBookPro running Windows 7 32-bit via Boot Camp. I had already tried a number of debricking solutions to no avail. My Touch had been stuck for months on a full screen "Your Kindle Needs Repair" message. I'm convinced that what went wrong was that I used up too much of the Kindle Touch's storage space. The device was crammed full of the blogs and articles and books that I ceaselessly send to it but had never gotten round to clearing up or removing from it. There cannot have been more than about 100mb (at most) of its 3gb of memory still available when I last checked. Anyway, about six months or so ago, the Touch froze while I was using it. On that occasion my usual solve-all (the twenty second hold of the power button) did not have the desired effect and after restarting, the device informed me that my Kindle needs repair.

So it was that this weekend I finally set about trying to fix my Touch. My first port of call was Amazon Support, whose idea of help was to push me towards a refurbished or new device. I embarked instead on seeking out an unbricking solution from the community at large.

I downloaded the Kubrick Live CD ISO K4/KT image and used OSX's Disk Utility to burn it to a Verbatim DVD-R.

When I first tried Kubrick, I managed the first step of getting my Touch into USB Downloader Mode (green 'Device Ready' message). However on my first few attempts, I could not get anything except the red 'Waiting for Device..." message on the page "Putting device into Fastboot Mode". Eventually though I got the green "Device Ready' confirmation on this page. What I think I was doing wrong was to connect the Touch to my Kubrick-running computer while the "Your Kindle Needs Repair" message was still showing on the Touch. It eventually worked for me after I first long pressed the power button for twenty seconds (to cause the Kindle tree graphic to appear) and then (and only then) followed Kubrick's instructions for connecting the Touch.

The Paperwhite looks nice and all, but from a 'need vs. want' perspective, it is definitely more of a want than a need. My Touch meets my current e-reading requirements more than well and I treated it with care so it's in great shape. Again then, thank you, thank you so much ixtab. You earned your donation from me just now to Big Brother Mouse with flying colours.

Last edited by Mob201503; 03-15-2015 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Added detail that I burned Kubrick to a DVD.
Mob201503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #795
Legacy Hardware
Legacy Hardware began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3w
I bought this kindle 3 form a second hand store, it was already jailbroken, so I installed the kindlet kit. I finally installed KUAL and the screensaver hack, along with some other kindlets and stuff. Decided to test out Duokan, and did everything in the instructions, it all looked great until it seemed to be installing an update. At first it had a progress bar and then the screen began violently flashing, and the orange charging light came on. Now it wont turn on, and I fear it may be hard bricked. Is this Live CD the thing I'm looking for? My computer seems to recognize the device but it doesn't mount the storage. Thanks for any help you can give me. I've only had it for a few days.
Legacy Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote