Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
Sony USA no longer selling T-2s?

For what it is worth, Sony USA seems to have quit offering T-2 readers on their site. There would appear to be web site changes coming - the Sony Book Store no longer is listing readers in the Canadian section either.

I have no idea of what this means.

Cheers

KNI
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Are they selling T3's Stateside now ?
Or have are really not bothering ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Sony.ca shows the T3 readers. They probably ran out of the T2s.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Sony.ca shows the T3 readers. They probably ran out of the T2s.
That's what I've thought as well. They were unloading inventory on the US. Interesting to see what, if anything, is next.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I emailed Sony to get to the bottom of the missing Readers on the US site and here is the reply I got:

Seth,

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

Regarding accessing the Reader section on the US site and you were directed to computers and tablets
instead of Readers. This is because Sony will not be offering the Reader PRS-T3 in
the United States. In response to market changes, Sony will be focusing instead on
mobile and tablet devices, including the Xperia Tablet Z and Xperia Z smartphone.

Reader Store will continue to help you find and read your next story, anytime and
anywhere, and you can continue to expect new and exciting features and discovery
tools. Previous Readers will still be supported as well as other compatible devices
via the free Reader apps for PC, Mac, and compatible Android and iPhone, iPad and
iPod touch devices.

If you have further concerns please contact us, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you for being a valued Sony Customer.

I'm very sad to hear this. I have always loved Sony products and looked forward to the new Readers.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitarywolf View Post
I emailed Sony to get to the bottom of the missing Readers on the US site and here is the reply I got:

Seth,

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

Regarding accessing the Reader section on the US site and you were directed to computers and tablets
instead of Readers. This is because Sony will not be offering the Reader PRS-T3 in
the United States. In response to market changes, Sony will be focusing instead on
mobile and tablet devices, including the Xperia Tablet Z and Xperia Z smartphone.

Reader Store will continue to help you find and read your next story, anytime and
anywhere, and you can continue to expect new and exciting features and discovery
tools. Previous Readers will still be supported as well as other compatible devices
via the free Reader apps for PC, Mac, and compatible Android and iPhone, iPad and
iPod touch devices.

If you have further concerns please contact us, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you for being a valued Sony Customer.

I'm very sad to hear this. I have always loved Sony products and looked forward to the new Readers.
This reads as "thank you for being a former Sony reader customer." They're not even offering to deal with American customers who are willing to go out of their way to give them money.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
This reads as "thank you for being a former Sony reader customer." They're not even offering to deal with American customers who are willing to go out of their way to give them money.
It's only a 90 day warranty anyways so big deal! It's not like it was a 1 or 2 year full coverage warranty where I'd agree, it would be a big loss. 90 days is nothing anyways. When stuff usually goes wonky it's out of warranty so again, big deal.

If you have access to buying it outside the US and you want it, just buy it.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader

When a company's official policy is to not sell someone their products and that person still insists on buying them when superior or equal products are available, it goes far beyond loyalty. But, to each their own.

Thanks for your advice, but as I've told you at least 3 times now I'm not interested in buying a Sony. Why do you continue to tell me personally that I should?
Old 11-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
When a company's official policy is to not sell someone their products and that person still insists on buying them when superior or equal products are available, it goes far beyond loyalty. But, to each their own.

Thanks for your advice, but as I've told you at least 3 times now I'm not interested in buying a Sony. Why do you continue to tell me personally that I should?
The only contenders (at the moment) for the T3 (that can be bought in the US) are the new nook Glowlight and the Kobo Aura or Kobo Aura HD.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up. Like Shopaholic, I thought your posts indicated that you wanted to at least be able to buy a Sony product if you so desired. Obviously we were wrong and you really have no reason for complaining. Good to know.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:

Wow! I'm sorry but why are you in this thread then? And you may want to reread what I wrote: "If you have access to buying it outside the US and you want it, just buy it."

You'll note that I'm not telling you to do anything. I'm saying IF you want it. If you don't, then you have zero reason to complain about anything and your efforts would be better spent elsewhere other than in T3 or any Sony thread for that matter. Thanks for clearing things up though.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader

Maybe these threads are here for the purposes of discussion. Isn't it pretty to think so.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #13
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:

But would you be prepared to pay $160 for one?

It seems to me that the heart of the problem is that Sony is no longer prepared to keep chasing the price downwards. As residents of countries other than the US have often noted the cost of items such as this are much less in America than they are in the rest of the world.

Obviously I have no idea what it costs Sony to manufacture, ship and market the T3 but I'm guessing that it is more than the $99 that appears to be the price point to sell in the States.

Personally I applaud Sony for their stance on this - maybe it will make people realise if you want a premium product you have to pay a premium price for it.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #14
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
But would you be prepared to pay $160 for one?

It seems to me that the heart of the problem is that Sony is no longer prepared to keep chasing the price downwards. As residents of countries other than the US have often noted the cost of items such as this are much less in America than they are in the rest of the world.

Obviously I have no idea what it costs Sony to manufacture, ship and market the T3 but I'm guessing that it is more than the $99 that appears to be the price point to sell in the States.

Personally I applaud Sony for their stance on this - maybe it will make people realise if you want a premium product you have to pay a premium price for it.
Valid points, especially your applause.

The 505, my first eink reader, was well over $300 back in 2007 or '08, and I bought it directly from Sony online. That was before Amazon impacted the market significantly. I'm sure Sony was much happier with that price, and the 505 is arguably a much higher quality device (hardware) than the T-1, which was my second reader.

At that price point, however, I suspect that ereaders would have remained niche devices had Amazon or some other company not changed the market.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
At that price point, however, I suspect that ereaders would have remained niche devices had Amazon or some other company not changed the market.
As of today 99 Euros are around $134. That seems to be enough to sell the T3S to Europe. The PW2 is 129 EUR today. It seem as if the rest of the world has to finance the overly cheap PWs in the US. Or that Europeans like to pay more. Hmm. Other conclusions?
hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote