Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
mr_sm1th
mr_sm1th began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Max Lumi
Max 3 / Max Lumi: lack of physical buttons annoying?

Hi there.

I am interested to hear from Onyx Boox Max 3 / Max Lumi users if the lack of physical buttons ia a problem for them. I am mainly interested in reading from the couch in both portrait and horizontal mode (facing pages).

It seems to me that when you are not holding a physical button tightly (like you would do with the Max 2) it gets quite wobbly every time you want to turn a page if you have to tap the screen.

Can anyone confirm or dismiss my concerns? Much appreciated.
mr_sm1th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:30 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_sm1th View Post
It seems to me that when you are not holding a physical button tightly (like you would do with the Max 2) it gets quite wobbly every time you want to turn a page if you have to tap the screen.

Can anyone confirm or dismiss my concerns? Much appreciated.
I use the Boox remote control with my note air.
I find that much more convenient than buttons on the device.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2020, 02:54 AM   #3
mr_sm1th
mr_sm1th began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Max Lumi
Interesting solution! Although in the case of the Max Lumi: holding a 13" tablet in one hand and a remote in the other seems more impractical than tapping the screen.
mr_sm1th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:25 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_sm1th View Post
Interesting solution! Although in the case of the Max Lumi: holding a 13" tablet in one hand and a remote in the other seems more impractical than tapping the screen.
Why hold
I'll set it up somewhere (nearby).
And I just have to touch it to turn it on.
I do the rest with the remote control or with the pen.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:25 AM   #5
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A9, Mira, Paperlike Colour
Agree with ottischwenk. I mainly use my Max 3 with a remote. In a desk stand when I'm at a table, or gooseneck stand when I'm in an armchair or in bed. Much more comfortable than holding the device or using on device buttons.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2020, 07:04 AM   #6
.kai
.kai began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max3, Kobo Aura ONE
I have a Max 3 + Remoter and I like using the Remoter to turn pages, especially when I read non-fiction where I want to move quickly back and forth, for example to check references or go to a figure etc.

For fiction I also often read without the Remoter. I find that while tapping the screen is not super it is totally adequate for me if I just want to advance to the next page.

Hope this help,
kai
.kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #7
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Just to add to this thread, the Boox remote control can be somewhat expensive. I've seen it for $35 plus another $30 for shipping/customs charges, so if you don't need the full integration that it offers, and just want a cheap page turn device... that you can use on other devices.. the selfie remotes you can pick up for a handful of dollars on the usual auction sites from China work just fine.

I have this one.. (in blue)

The Chinese packaging says its a G1, the Bluetooth binding says it is a BLE-M3 keyboard. You'll need to enable the internal on screen keyboard at the same time when you use this, as Android thinks that the button clicker is also a fully capable keyboard and expects all input from it.

In NeoReader 3.0 the shutter button does next page, and the back/up arrows go back a page. the foward/right arrows do next page. Sometimes it does lose its way with the arrow buttons, it's not perfect in that respect. I daresay you could use a keyboard mapping program if that irritated you.

And, you can also use it with your normal phone or tablet to take selfie photos as it was designed! Tested on my Note2, it should work on any other Onyx device.
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote