Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Books about the Cold War turning hot?

Back in the day, there seemed to be a fad for books about the Cold War going hot, usually with a Soviet invasion of West Germany.

Does anyone know of any similar books available as ebooks? First Clash by Kenneth Mackey is often recommend, but I can't find it in ebook form. If anyone can tell me where to find a copy I'd be very grateful.

I've read the following, so please don't suggest them

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy
Red Phoenix by Larry Bond
Chieftains by Bob Forrest-Webb
The Third World War by General Sir John Hackett
The Untold Story by General Sir John Hackett
Team Yankee by Harold Coyle
Sword Point by Harold Coyle
Red Army by Ralph Peters
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Proud Legions by John Antal
Quote:
Recent news stories about North Korea's nuclear capabilities have raised the question of U.S. involvement in a new Korean War, an eventuality the slightly paranoid consciousness of this debut military thriller considers an inevitability. Set in the very near future?a future, Antal suggests, that might even be now?a single U.S. tank battalion is all that stands between the North Korean army and the fall of Seoul. The surprise attack, Operation Daring Thrust, is the brainchild of North Korean Marshal Kim Seung-Hee (aka the Wolf), a man to whom "Americans were not men but merely targets." It's up to Lt. Col. Michael Rodriguez, commander of the 2nd Battalion, 72nd Armor Division, to stop him. Antal, whose nonfiction books such as Combat Team draw on his own experience as battalion commander of an armored division, invests his battle scenes with authoritative detail. He nails his patriotic colors firmly to the mast, and there is a rigid moralizing quality to his conception of the opposing U.S. and North Korean armies. American individualism and pragmatism (embodied by the well-trained responsive strike force) go up against the blind tyranny of a political system in which forced loyalty is guaranteed by fear. The focus remains fixed on strategy and response?a subplot that pits Rodriguez against reporter Alice Hamilton is barely a blip on the radar?in this technical and rawly realistic book. An inside view of the machinations of two armies at war will convince the layman that modern society requires a professional warrior caste?a conclusion Antal will certainly approve.
http://www.amazon.com/Proud-Legions-.../dp/0891416676
I love this book and have read it 4 times. Unfortunately it is not available as an ebook. I need to send this one to 1 Dollar Scans.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A classic is "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy. Excellent book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A classic is "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy. Excellent book.
I agree it's a classic, it's in my list of books that I've read before (several times in this case). I'd probably buy the ebook if it were available and read it again at some point.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Proud Legions by John Antal
Thanks for the suggestion, shame it's not available as an ebook though.
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apologies - I overlooked your list of "books that I've already read".
Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Apologies - I overlooked your list of "books that I've already read".
No bother, it's easily done. It did prompt me to check Amazon again, but still no sign of it
Old 12-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Proud Legions is an excellent military fiction book. Antal was a Lieutenant Colonel and served in Abrams. The book really shows his knowledge of the material. It is well worth reading in DTB.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Not sure if its available in ebook, but John Ball's THE FIRST TEAM is a pretty good technothriller about what happened after the US *lost* the Cold War to the Russians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Team_(novel)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
fum
Zealot
fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWII
Psst, one ')' missing in that link.
fum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, shame it's not available as an ebook though.
Are you in the US? Red Storm Rising is available for the kindle. I've got it.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Storm-Risi...d+storm+rising

One that I liked that isn't on your list was Coyle's The Ten Thousand. It's not available as an ebook though.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:52 AM   #12
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Are you in the US? Red Storm Rising is available for the kindle. I've got it.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Storm-Risi...d+storm+rising

One that I liked that isn't on your list was Coyle's The Ten Thousand. It's not available as an ebook though.
I'm in the UK, and it's not listed on Amazon UK

I may have read The Ten Thousand. I've certainly read some other Harold Coyle books, but I couldn't remember which ones, it was a long time ago.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #13
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. John le Carre. A classic.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. John le Carre. A classic.
It is indeed a classic, but it's not really about the Cold War turning hot, is it?
Old 07-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #15
avantman42
Wizard

(I know this thread is several months old, but I'm posting here since people are likely to have notifications enabled.)

I've recently discovered The Red Effect by Harvey Black, and am currently reading it. So far, it's good. The author appears to know his stuff. There's a bias towards British units, probably because the author served with British Army intelligence. It's the first of a trilogy, but the other two books aren't out yet.

Links: Amazon.com / Amazon UK / B&N.com / Kobo