Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2006, 11:15 AM   #31
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
@ Yvangrosni--

Hyrdo power is great, so long as you don't dam river, hurting little fishies and flies and the riparian systems in place in an eco-system. We never get something for nothing in physics.

@ Natch: Once we devise a way to ship our fissible waste into the sun, we'll have no more reasons to be phobic. 'Course, we build a ship that can travel to the sun, & who cares about staying around this pop-stand?

Electric cars don't catch on reasons similar to e-text not catching on. Even if someone never goes more than 50 miles per day every week but two out of the year, that person will rant & rave about having their freedom and mobility destroyed. Very few people are into sacrifices and compromises as regards energy and the eco-system.

Sad but true
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:31 AM   #32
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
As this is now an energy thread and not an e-ink thread anymore, let me throw out another question... isn't there someone that claims they have a free energy source that will use magnetism to provide free energy, and unlike most kooks, is opening it up for peer review? Wish I could remember more, but does anyone remember that in the news in the last couple of months?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #33
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu
@ Yvangrosni--

@ Natch: Once we devise a way to ship our fissible waste into the sun, we'll have no more reasons to be phobic. 'Course, we build a ship that can travel to the sun, & who cares about staying around this pop-stand?
And how sure are we that dumping our waste in the sun is safe. We thought that raw sewage into rivers was safe, until it overloaded the system. We only have one sun, let's not start polluting it.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #34
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
As this is now an energy thread and not an e-ink thread anymore, let me throw out another question... isn't there someone that claims they have a free energy source that will use magnetism to provide free energy, and unlike most kooks, is opening it up for peer review? Wish I could remember more, but does anyone remember that in the news in the last couple of months?
Sorry Bob! Someone pushed my pet peeve button. I can go on and on about it.

No energy is free. Even the safest, solar panels , creates chemical waste, has huge embodied energy waste,(energy required to produce) and shadows over bio matter. Magnetism is akin to induction and requires an electric field to generate it. We all know it's not free. The earth's magnetic field? Too weak, not stable enough and continually shifts. There is a bio of Nicola Tesla in which they talk of his last reseach in this domain. He wanted to have the whole planet energy connected via magnetic fields. He also believed he met aliens

Ok! Leaving that subject and coming back to reading, one of the things I appreciate most of eink is the low power requirements. I guess that is what started it all! Any application of any type that lowers power consumption compared to its predecessors gets my admiration. Sony's got it right this time.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:19 PM   #35
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
About Steorn

Hi Bob

I think you mean Steorn

They even have a forum so..

They quote Shaw: "All great truths begin as blasphemies"
Still what they don't tell you is that most blasphemies in the end are just that: blasphemies.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2006, 06:36 PM   #36
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Not to re-iterate, but I want to say everything that Yvan just said.
j/k.

Yvan, I agree whole-heartedly with what you said, and that is a big part of why I originally posted my question.

Slayda: That was a joke, & I guess I need to remember the difference between "A Modest Proposal" & "Who's on 1st".

As regards e-ink, and its many (possible) applications and possible complications, it would totally rock if e-ink is integrated into most applications, like laptop & desktop monitors, because that would be much less draw on batteries or the power grid. Further, Yes, how great would it be if we could have a "Clean" form of energy production. Any reduction is good, so I welcom our new e-ink overlords. ;-)

In other words, will be eager to see more implementations of e-ink technology.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote