Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-26-2009, 03:36 AM   #1
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Lightbulb Thinking of setting up on line ereader shop and want some advice!

hi everyone,

not sure if this is the right thread or not, please let me know and I'll move it there.

Lots of dicussion etc... RE reader hardware.

Got me thinking, and researching.... I live in Singapore which is very poorly supplied by this sector, and can post internationally, and have made contact with various E-reader suppliers......

Now I have an oppurtunity to start an on line E-reader reselling business, but before I invest capital in it, I want to know what kind (Make Model) of E-reader people want, and what price they are willing to pay for it.

EG: Sony 700 for $250 USD (+shipping) (Which is possible)

Please reply and let me know what you think....
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
cheese bogart
Connoisseur
cheese bogart has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-505 (Silver), Ipad
That's a very good price on the 700. I think it equates to about £158 +shipping. Am I right in thinking that when you say say reselling, you mean used/second-hand?
cheese bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
cheese bogart
Connoisseur

Also I'm not sure either if this is the right thread to be in. Perhaps the News and Commentary one might have been better?

Just like to point out, I'm not having a go!

Also I'd like to say that this company of yours, sounds like a good idea (if I was right in thinking that they are second-hand devices). As I would rather buy a used device of a company rather than a individual as it would mean that I would have some consumer rights.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
rrburton
Connoisseur
rrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad
As with other asia based retailers - there are folks in the west very willing to purchase from overseas when the price + cost of shipping is less than what we can get more locally. There are websites and software that track the best price available for certain products (pricewatch.com for example) but I don't know if they track ereaders. I have many times found a retailer for computer parts via pricewatch.

Not being an entrepeneur myself I don't really know which readers would be best, but asking on this site is a good start, probably would need to do some sort of other market research also (basic sales quantities?).

Cheese - I think by reseller Xiao means being a third party - purchasing wholesale from manufacturer and selling to the consumer.
rrburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
lyj898
lyj898 began at the beginning.

Device: none
i think it greatly depends on what kind of concessions or discounts you can get from the distributors. Obviously, brand names like Sony and Fujitsu might be the way to go since their reputation has been clearly established but they are probably not necessarily big on small startups like yourself. Keep us posted on your developments and good luck
lyj898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
cheese bogart
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrburton View Post

Cheese - I think by reseller Xiao means being a third party - purchasing wholesale from manufacturer and selling to the consumer.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Now it sounds like an even better deal.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi all,

Just for clarity : I mean getting a good price from wholesalers and selling new items, though there are a few Refurbishing people outhere who deal in smaller quantities.

There are just so many e-readers out there, Sony and Kindle (at least outside the US) don't make a lot of sense for the price. Fujitsu will have it's own market when colour E-ink hits the shelves...and a price to match!

Thanks so far for the advice!
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote