Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-01-2014, 12:18 AM   #46
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
While I know I'll never complete my TBR pile in my lifetime (or probably 10 lifetimes ), it also doesn't bother me in the least. I'm always assured of having a diverse list of new reading content, no matter what my mood might be when I start a new book. So it's not something I spend any time worrying about or even planning out my reading past the next few books (which can also change at any time). And I'll continue to add to the impossible TBR list without feeling any guilt over it as well.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:38 AM   #47
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I loved those. I'd combine them with free shipping and it would be like getting 5 books for the price of 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I really racked up the paperbacks when Amazon was running those 4-for-3 paperback sales for all those years.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #48
Hapaxanth
Nameless Being

I feel quite out of place here. I consider myself an avid reader, but among present company, well ... I only ever have one fiction book and one to three non-fiction books on my Kindle at any given time, and I'm usually in the process of reading them all. I don't hoard ebooks -- I pick up new ones when I run out of old ones, or when I know I'll be away from the internet for an extended period of time.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #49
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapaxanth View Post
I feel quite out of place here. I consider myself an avid reader, but among present company, well ... I only ever have one fiction book and one to three non-fiction books on my Kindle at any given time, and I'm usually in the process of reading them all. I don't hoard ebooks ...
Just hang out with us for a while, and we'll "inspire" you!

In my case, I blame Calibre!
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #50
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'm more worried about not having any books in my TBR list than not being able to finish them.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #51
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I read very fast but I'm afraid there is little chance that I'll ever fully conquer my TBR pile since I'm constantly adding more books to it.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #52
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I have at least 10+ years' worth built up, and growing, but they'll be welcome when I retire. I'll have less disposal income, and a great stash bought on sale. I've done the same with art supply sales.

I bought my first ebook for a palm pilot in 1999 - but until a few years ago, only bought what I intended to read immediately ( though sometimes a full series). Then I met Alf, switched from Sony to a Kindle and discovered Amazon sales from 'the ebook addicts support thread' . Excessive maybe, but better for me than hamburgers, and I don't buy stuff unless I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy them.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:13 AM   #53
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If you are beyond the point of ever reading what you own now, then why do you still buy more books? You wouldn't have done so if they were paper books, probably; just for building a library so you can always find something to read?
It's a form of hoarding. I have hundreds, if not thousands of TBR paper books and ebooks. Ironically, I sometimes find that the quantity of choice makes it harder to decide what to read next, not easier.

It's hard to step away from the "bargains". I nearly bought the Angry Robot first 100 ebook bundle, (100 for £100), but I have about a dozen of them now, and have maybe read 2-3 of them. And I know that it's no bargain if I end up not reading most of them.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:31 AM   #54
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have just over 800 bought-but-not-read ebooks in my TBR. Some of them are Fictionwise short stories, but then, some are omnibus editions.

That works out to about four years worth of reading, if I didn't buy any more. But that's not going to happen. My January total was 25 read, 50 bought….

But my plan is to have no books on my TBR for more than 10 years (unless they're part of a long series I'm deliberately reading over a long period). I should get there shortly - only four books left from before February 2004!

I'm trying not to worry about my TBR, so long as I don't spend excessively on new books.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #55
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I will never finish my TBR list. I just keep piling books on it.
I'm not worried about it.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #56
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are some offers too good to miss. Eg last month I bought 18 books in Bernard Cornwall's "Sharpe" series because Amazon UK were selling them for 99p each. Normal price for the Kindle edition is £3.77 each.
Wish I had that problem, but none of my current wishlist seem likely to go on that kind of deal. But I tend to get hooked on a series, so if I did get a deal like that, I would probably read a whole bunch them one after the other before I bought anything else!

I also have a long wishlist via Overdrive library, and those are rationed for me by the library since many of them are not currently available and require me to put them on hold and wait.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:30 AM   #57
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Maybe I'm also in a minority here ... yes, I do have a long TBR list, but I only buy books to read them when I do have the time.

So, there are very few (< 10) unread books either on my bookshelf or on my e-reader, but there are lots that wait to be paid for and downloaded once I have the time to read them...

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:06 AM   #58
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I think I don't differentiate between to be read and to be bought, as some people here do.
TBR is basically all, bought and not bought books. But speaking of bought ones, I do read most of them. I have maybe 3 I have bought, but haven't read yet.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:22 AM   #59
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Indeed, but it seems there are lots of people here who have bought hundreds of books but do not yet have the time to read them.

I can see the logic if there are special offers out there that can not be passed, however I have not seen those often.

I must confess that my strategy does have its downsides now and then ... there have been occasions where I had finished a book, did not have another one lined up already, and needed to go to the Amazon website in a hurry (before a long flight or similar) to load my Kindle with new reading stuff.

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 02-03-2014 at 04:25 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #60
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm thinking a large TBR is not a bad thing. I have about 100 (paid) books on my TBR. Whenever I am ready for a new book, I select the most interesting book of those 100 books. Sometimes it's fiction, sometimes it's science fiction. I am always choosing the best book for me now.

If i only read one book at a time, I would always have to read the next book, regardless of wither I found it interesting or not. By choosing from a TBR I am always choosing the most interesting next book.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote